What's new

Do any of you guys care about people lane splitting?

Duck Rodgers

A lot of our pet peeves in that thread are traffic related, so I'm just curious. Maybe somebody mentioned it in there somewhere. I haven't seen it that much in Utah, but it does happen from time to time. It has just became legal in California though, where it happens all the time:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/es...comes-first-step-to-1471635067-htmlstory.html

Lane splitting, in which a motorcyclist passes other vehicles by riding between them along the lane line, has long been a controversial issue.

Technically, it has not been legal or illegal, falling in a gray area where it was treated as acceptable by law enforcement agencies. But when the CHP published guidelines on the practice in 2015, a citizen complained that the agency should not be allowed to create public policy. In came AB 51.

There's nothing safety wise that bothers me about it....but there's always that whole....hey....you're jumping the queue reaction....I should slam you with my door......if I'm going be stuck here for a half hour......but then again....I've lane split more than a few times myself over the years.

Last edited:
I think it's wildly unsafe.
I have personally seen two accidents while in traffic jams. Someone opens their door and motorcyclists gets clipped.

I could get it in the grey area.. but by legalizing it one could assume the person opening their door would be at fault... which seems weird to me.

Don't care about the "your place in line thing."

Tl;dr - I don't care but I think it's definitely more dangerous than staying within the lanes.

I see a lot of people riding to one side of their lane and other people who drift about while they **** with their phone. There isn't always enough room between lanes. And if someone is lane splitting what happens if I'm changing lanes and we have a collision?

I never liked it in CA. First few times it happened it caught me completely by surprise. I am sort of okay with it if traffic is stopped, but I don't like it so much if traffic is moving at anything above 30mph.

I see a lot of people riding to one side of their lane and other people who drift about while they **** with their phone. There isn't always enough room between lanes. And if someone is lane splitting what happens if I'm changing lanes and we have a collision?

I never liked it in CA. First few times it happened it caught me completely by surprise. I am sort of okay with it if traffic is stopped, but I don't like it so much if traffic is moving at anything above 30mph.

This

but there's always that whole....hey....you're jumping the queue reaction....I should slam you with my door......if I'm going be stuck here for a half hour......

are you ****ing serious right now?

Srs question, what do you do to unwind?

I don't split lanes on the highway. (But I absolutely hate riding on SoCal inner-city freeways in any capacity). I split like hell at traffic lights, doe. That's a big reason why I have a motorcycle.

I agree with Gameface accept I think 30 mph is way to fast. I think Dr. Jones is being dumb *** as you have rear view mirrors for a reason. If you open your door in traffic which is illegal you should check your mirrors first. That comment is like fast lane laggers that cannot check there mirrors with regularity. They absolutely are responsible for clipping a motorcycle.

Liberal society wants no responsibility.

There's nothing safety wise that bothers me about it....but there's always that whole....hey....you're jumping the queue reaction....I should slam you with my door......if I'm going be stuck here for a half hour......but then again....I've lane split more than a few times myself over the years.

I hear you. And how about those pedestrians passing your position on the sidewalk?! I just wanna punch those free-to-move assholes. And don't get me started on airplanes flying overhead.

/shakesfist.

I hear you. And how about those pedestrians passing your position on the sidewalk?! I just wanna punch those free-to-move assholes. And don't get me started on airplanes flying overhead.

/shakesfist.

Naw. It's more akin to being at Disneyland in an hour long line and people start crawling under everyone's legs and using every little ounce of space to get to the front.....and you're like....well....since you were agile/small enough to crawl under everyone's legs....I'm cool with you cutting....even though it's going to cost me two more minutes.

Naw. It's more akin to being at Disneyland in an hour long line and people start crawiling under everyone's legs to get to the front.....and you're like....well....since you crawled under everyone's legs....I'm cool with you cutting....even though it's going to cost me two more minutes.

It's more akin to somebody crawling under everyone's legs in a giant line and you being

Nah, my analogy is more illustrative. They're passing you because they are using a mode of transportation that allows them to do that. Much like people walking past you on their legs. What you're saying is that because you're miserable, everyone else should be as well. There is no rational reason for them to stay stuck behind you, unless you're a fan of ideas that make traffic worse.

Nah, my analogy is more illustrative. They're passing you because they are using a mode of transportation that allows them to do that. Much like people walking past you on their legs. What you're saying is that because you're miserable, everyone else should be as well. There is no rational reason for them to stay stuck behind you, unless you're a fan of ideas that make traffic worse.

Wrong. You realize they just become part of the traffic again at some point, right? There is no flow benefit.

[Siro;1277150]Nah, my analogy is more illustrative. They're passing you because they are using a mode of transportation that allows them to do that. Much like people walking past you on their legs. What you're saying is that because you're miserable, everyone else should be as well. There is no rational reason for them to stay stuck behind you, unless you're a fan of ideas that make traffic worse.

Wrong. You realize they just become part of the traffic again at some point, right? There is no flow benefit.

That depends on their destination. They may or may not become part of the traffic again, depending on their future route. Since the average of them being in stopped traffic is less than the previous 100%, that should improved traffic congestion.

But that's a secondary point. The primary point is that you're being petty by wanting others to be stuck in traffic just because you are.

But that's a secondary point. The primary point is that you're being petty by wanting others to be stuck in traffic just because you are.

And I agree with you guys there. Like I said, I have been a lane splitter. I think that tells you I don't have any problem with it really. That's just a little two second reaction I have sometimes when I see somebody else do it.....it doesn't really bother me though.

I think it's wildly unsafe.

This.

I never lane split. It's not legal in Utah anyway, but it is begging for trouble. I ride in California with some frequency, and I do not lane split there either.

I've always found it odd that California has a mandatory helmet law, but nothing about lane splitting. IMO, lane splitting is a much riskier practice than not wearing a helmet.

Motorcyclists who do not ride defensively actually make it harder for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

This.

I never lane split. It's not legal in Utah anyway, but it is begging for trouble. I ride in California with some frequency, and I do not lane split there either.

I've always found it odd that California has a mandatory helmet law, but nothing about lane splitting. IMO, lane splitting is a much riskier practice than not wearing a helmet.

Motorcyclists who do not ride defensively actually make it harder for the rest of us.

Had a motorcycle take a right turn behind me and he swung wide right into my blind spot and stayed there for three blocks. I thought There was no one at all in the left lane and I turned on my signal, checked my mirrors and started moving over as I looked over my shoulder (I know you supposed to look before you move but I was certain there was no one there) and saw the motorcycle. I hadn't entered the lane before I looked but was definitely moving that way. Even after that the jackass wanted to stay in my blind spot. Had to slow down to 10 below the limit before I could shake them out of my blind spot.

Naw. It's more akin to being at Disneyland in an hour long line and people start crawling under everyone's legs and using every little ounce of space to get to the front.....and you're like....well....since you were agile/small enough to crawl under everyone's legs....I'm cool with you cutting....even though it's going to cost me two more minutes.
Everyone on the freeway is not headed to your house (unlike your amusement park ride example where they are taking a seat on the ride that you could have had). Getting passed by a motorcycle likely not slowing you down at all. It might speed you up if it makes you realize that you ought to get a motorcycle too.

Everyone on the freeway is not headed to your house (unlike your amusement park ride example where they are taking a seat on the ride that you could have had). Getting passed by a motorcycle likely not slowing you down at all. It might speed you up if it makes you realize that you ought to get a motorcycle too.

Agreed. Motorcycles advancing through traffic have no substantive impact on you as an automobile operator. You are just being uptight about a perceived unfairness. If it bothers you, you should also be upset when another car passes you on the freeway.

Duck strikes me as the kind of guy that gets all bent out of shape when other cars go all the way up to a merge point to actually merge (like you should).

Duck strikes me as the kind of guy that gets all bent out of shape when other cars go all the way up to a merge point to actually merge (like you should).

I could pet peeve the **** out of people who don't use both lanes and then also don't zipper together the way they are supposed to at a merge. In heavy traffic that other lane is there to hold cars so that they aren't backed up into an intersection obstructing traffic further back. Use it people!

I don't mind the motorcycles at all, but I'd never use one in traffic or above 15 mph..... lol.....

I just don't want to take the risk. I also wish cars were made of titanium. .. . . . I want some good strong stuff between me and the road, or the produce truck.