What's new

do jazz really need another wing player when we have miles?

Not true. This is not the worst 3pt% of his career. It would be his 4th worst. At 34.5% he's better than last year and the 1st 2 years he was in the league. As a starter he really has been a good 3pt shooter this year. As the backup when he was the only scoring threat he struggled.

Paul Millsap, AK and Bell all have better 3 pt% than CJ. In fact CJ is 149th in the league in 3pt%.

CJ's percentages for the last 4 years:

FG%

3pt%

Not a trend I would hitch my horse to personally.

I think we need a genuine big man to play center (rather than using PFs playing as undersized Cs next to an undersized PF) more than we need a scoring wing. That would address several problems - interior D, help D, and rebounding. Adding even more inside scoring wouldn't hurt either, but isn't necessary.

Having said that, an upgrade at the wing is needed too. Miles isn't as bad as some on this board say, and Hayward is also decent, IMHO, but neither are a top-tier player - nice pieces to have, but not the quality required. Bell and AK are done.

Paul Millsap, AK and Bell all have better 3 pt% than CJ. In fact CJ is 149th in the league in 3pt%.

CJ's percentages for the last 4 years:

FG%

3pt%

Not a trend I would hitch my horse to personally.

If Bell would shoot them more often that would be fine. And Millsap's % is great but again how many has he taken? AK has been really good from 3 this year. None of AK, Bell or Millsap have been asked to be the ONLY scoring threat for the 2nd unit. CJ was for most of the year. I don't know how to look it up but I imagine CJ's 3pt % as the starter are quite a bit better than his season %.

Again CJ with player's on the floor to help carry the burden has been acceptable. He should have been starting all year and Hayward should be his backup. As for Bell he should never have been signed. AK and Evans at SF with Miles and Hayward at SG is better than including Bell at all. Bell's absolute non factor on offense is killing this team.

Okay looked it up. As the starter CJ is shooting 48.8% from the field and 43.6% from 3. Both %'s are far better than Bell has performed in that role. He is also averaging 22 PPG. While some of these #'s have to do with that 40 point performance it is still significantly better than Bell has performed at any time during the season.

Last edited:
If CJ Miles plays consistent the rest of the year than I would say no reason to go after a wing player. But CJ Miles has never shown consistency.

He is playing great but he still jacks too many 3 point shots. Doesn't get to the foul line enough. Shot selection is still bad. So we will see. He could easily become an all-star if he improved his playmaking and getting to the foul line.
No need for another wing? So you're satisfied with a rotation of Miles, Hayward and Bell?

Wow. I haven't checked the board in like a week.. and it seems like there has been a big turnaround in the consensus with Miles.

I've always liked the kid... just needs to make the right decisions at the right times.

Wow. I haven't checked the board in like a week.. and it seems like there has been a big turnaround in the consensus with Miles.

I've always liked the kid... just needs to make the right decisions at the right times.

No there has not.