What's new

Do the Jazz have bigger offensive or defensive needs?

idiot

Last year we were 10th in offense, 23rd in defense (if I'm recalling correctly). Went back and watched the Miami game toward the end of the season (because THT, Ochai, Markannen, and Olynyk all started that night -- one of the few times all were in the lineup toward the end of the year). THT wasn't great that game; nevertheless, it seemed like we somehow moved the ball/produced good shots fairly well against a good defensive team. It just seemed that Hardy's offense produces good shots in spite of individual playmaking limitations (which seemed to be a theme of the whole season).

So we've all (myself included) been saying that what we really need now is a playmaker/distributor. But I'm wondering whether it's more likely that our problem this year (without further moves) is still likely to be good offense and poor defense.

Or are we on the path to real improvement already on the defensive end?

If you recall, by the end of the year, Hardy was resorting to "junk" defenses, having seemingly acknowledged that solid man-to-man just wasn't doing the job.

It's been posted before, but pre trade deadline we had a top 5 offense and bottom 5 defense. Post trade deadline we had a bottom 10 offense and top 10 defense (might be remembering slightly off).

Our problem is that our only possitive offensive and defensive player was Lauri. It is difficult to put together both a great defensive lineup that is also a great defensive lineup with our personnel.

Most of the season defense was bad bc Clarkson is among 30th-40th worst defenders in the league and both Kelly and neither Malik were not making it better. Mike had heart in defense but due his age and height he struggled too. For me our defense seems to be no issue especially if we are moving on from Clarkson.

The biggest question will be front-court playmaking if we are not having someone like Kelly to start. Lauri and Walker as well as Collins are not against moving the ball but none of them has great skills at making plays. And as our back-court is not having that class A floor general I could see issues with offense unless the system is creating looks. Teams in the league have more knowedge of coach H and his thing so will be interesting to see.

-

It's been posted before, but pre trade deadline we had a top 5 offense and bottom 5 defense. Post trade deadline we had a bottom 10 offense and top 10 defense (might be remembering slightly off).

Our problem is that our only possitive offensive and defensive player was Lauri. It is difficult to put together both a great defensive lineup that is also a great defensive lineup with our personnel.
I looked it up. You're right that the Jazz's relative performance on offense and defense switched with the trade deadline. But some details aren't quite right. You're more correct about the offense than the defense.
  • According to NBA.com, the offensive rating was 116.6 before the trade deadline (4th in the league) and 112.4 (24th) in the league after (I used February 7/8 as the divider).
  • However, the Jazz's defensive rating before and after the trade deadline was exactly the same (116.0). The ranking improved from 27th in the league to 19th; I suppose offensive efficiency must have been up league-wide a bit at that point.
Of course, during those 27 games after the trade deadline Sexton played 6 games, Clarkson 7, and Markkanen 16. All combined, Markannen, Clarkson, and Sexton played 62% of the total minutes that Dunn, Jones, JTA, and Dok played. Maybe this had an impact on both offense and defense?

Anyway, my point remains, I think: if we're good next season, it's more likely to be due to offense than defense.

DA's clearly worried about offense, and in particular shooting, judging by the rookies we got - all of whom are elite shooters by college standard.

IMO he clearly wants guys who can shoot, and is willing to let Hardy teach them to defend as a team.

Also if you look at the playoffs - Vando was forced to sit in the final stretch of games cos he couldn't hit open 3s - it didn't matter how great a defender he was.

DA's clearly worried about offense, and in particular shooting, judging by the rookies we got - all of whom are elite shooters by college standard.

IMO he clearly wants guys who can shoot, and is willing to let Hardy teach them to defend as a team.
I think this is clearly his philosophy.

The Jazz made some upgrades defensively by bringing in Collins and Hendricks, and Kessler will be a year better I believe. We still need better defense from our guard rotations, but we'll see as free agency moves forward.

I looked it up. You're right that the Jazz's relative performance on offense and defense switched with the trade deadline. But some details aren't quite right. You're more correct about the offense than the defense.
  • According to NBA.com, the offensive rating was 116.6 before the trade deadline (4th in the league) and 112.4 (24th) in the league after (I used February 7/8 as the divider).
  • However, the Jazz's defensive rating before and after the trade deadline was exactly the same (116.0). The ranking improved from 27th in the league to 19th; I suppose offensive efficiency must have been up league-wide a bit at that point.
Of course, during those 27 games after the trade deadline Sexton played 6 games, Clarkson 7, and Markkanen 16. All combined, Markannen, Clarkson, and Sexton played 62% of the total minutes that Dunn, Jones, JTA, and Dok played. Maybe this had an impact on both offense and defense?

Anyway, my point remains, I think: if we're good next season, it's more likely to be due to offense than defense.

Thanks for looking that up, I didn't feel like doing it again. The other thing you didn't mention is Kessler starting which improved our defense, but hurt our spacing and thus our offense. Last year I kept up the defensive rating thread and it was pretty clear that all of our guys that had the most positive impact on our defense, were limited offensive players (except Lauri). This is why I was pretty adamant about getting two way players in the draft.

I noticed the offensive explosion in the second half of the year as well. It is getting harder and harder to defend in the NBA. My personal preference is a defense oriented team, but I'm just not sure you can win very much that way anymore, you have to be able to outscore teams sometimes. My hypothesis is that in the new NBA you will always need 4 shooters on the court,
ans so starting a non shooting center is going to limit the other types of players we can bring in.

Thanks for looking that up, I didn't feel like doing it again. The other thing you didn't mention is Kessler starting which improved our defense, but hurt our spacing and thus our offense. Last year I kept up the defensive rating thread and it was pretty clear that all of our guys that had the most positive impact on our defense, were limited offensive players (except Lauri). This is why I was pretty adamant about getting two way players in the draft.

I noticed the offensive explosion in the second half of the year as well. It is getting harder and harder to defend in the NBA. My personal preference is a defense oriented team, but I'm just not sure you can win very much that way anymore, you have to be able to outscore teams sometimes. My hypothesis is that in the new NBA you will always need 4 shooters on the court,
ans so starting a non shooting center is going to limit the other types of players we can bring in.
Something that shouldn't be lost is the Jazz drafting guys who can at least shoot and acquiring Collins (who shot well the second half of last year). Assuming JC opts in, the Jazz are pretty well replete with shooters at nearly all positions, except for Kessler (who we can forgive there, but may probably develop some range this season). I suspect the Jazz felt pretty much the same. I suspect we'll see a hard rotational rule that some combination of Collins, Hendricks, Kessler, and Lauri need to be on the floor at any time.