What's new

Do the Jazz really have enough talent to compete?

l Abach l

Love my Jazz, but man are they frustrating to watch. Perhaps the most depressing thing for me is to see our "young core" (Even though Hayward and Favors are now in their 5th years) and their lack of WINS. Durant in his 2nd year made the playoffs with rookie westbrook with a just as young if not younger team than the jazz. So tired of hearing the "ah they're young and progressing" rhetoric. To me, they're nothing more than any other crappy young team we've seen in recent years (t-wolves with love, bobcats, detroit, clippers in the early 2000s, etc.). I'm still mind boggled at the amount of $$$ thrown around to these unproven players.. haven't done squat!

In all my 25 years of jazz fandom, I've never seen this lack of excitement from the city/media/office talk toward the jazz. really sad for such a historic fan base and franchise

No, the Jazz do NOT have the talent to compete.
But we're in the 2nd season of the rebuild. The first year got us financial flexibility and a high pick. Because we acquired a developmental player, year #2 was not going to be a huge leap forward. Let's just stop with the OKC comparison. Durant is a superstar. Westbrook is an all-star. That kind of talent hasn't been there for the Jazz. Well, except they missed on Kanter and Burke as others in those drafts have shown much more talent. That's a major setback, but not a complete disaster. Just means we'll likely be drafting in the 4-7 range instead of 10-13. That's good enough to get all-star quality talent. Then the Jazz will likely go after another starter via free agency (provided Kanter doesn't make huge improvements over the remaining games).

Exum, Hayward, Favors, Draft Pick, Free Agent, Burks, Gobert, Hood, Booker. That's a pretty good core of 9 players, with a veteran and/or Neto to back up Exum. I didn't include Burke because I think he'll be traded in some kind of package either this summer or next year. Depends on how fast Exum develops.

Have patience. I still believe the franchise is headed in the right direction, but we'll still see bumps along the way.

Durant in his 2nd year made the playoffs with rookie westbrook with a just as young if not younger team than the jazz.
The Thunder won 23 games and missed the playoffs in Westbrook's rookie year.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

The Thunder won 23 games and missed the playoffs in Westbrook's rookie year.

Sent from the JazzFanz app
My bad. Durant was in his 3rd year, westbrook 2nd, and harden 1st. not that big of a difference imo... our core had been around longer

If the Jazz had the opportunity to draft Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins to put next to Hayward and Favors, the Jazz would be on track to contend. Unfortunately, the Jazz haven't had the opportunity to draft that kind of player.

If the Jazz had the opportunity to draft Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins to put next to Hayward and Favors, the Jazz would be on track to contend. Unfortunately, the Jazz haven't had the opportunity to draft that kind of player.
Precisely. And that's why another bad year might be a blessing. We're hoping Exum becomes a franchise player. And he just might. But Utah would still need another great talent. Hopefully Okafor or Towns falls in our lap. Going to be tough, though. Philadelphia has the worst record locked up. And Minny, Detroit, Lakers, New York and Charlotte are bad. Just have to hope those EC teams get a bounce from playing each other so much.

It's not lack of talent, it's lack of intelligence. They are the dumbest team in the league.

I also didn't realize how much they lack confidence until Hood started playing. Watching Hood I remembered what confident play looks like. He's the only one that plays without fear and it really, really hurts us.

This year? What in God's name made anyone think we were so magically improved over last year? A big contract and a new coach? FFS

Sad we can't compete against the likes of Orlando. Really really sad. I'm sad for Snyder. He's a good coach. Really.

It's not lack of talent, it's lack of intelligence. They are the dumbest team in the league.

I also didn't realize how much they lack confidence until Hood started playing. Watching Hood I remembered what confident play looks like. He's the only one that plays without fear and it really, really hurts us.

Would also add that they don't play with any intensity what so ever. No heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah needs some help, the bench is thin and our starters still struggle at times, usually in the 1st half. We should be better by the end of the year as we learn to play together. But we are still missing 1 mre player that can take over a game for us. However we are only in the 2nd year of a rebuild...even though we should've started this rebuild when we traded Dwil

No.

We still need a PG.
We need a few more shooters.
We need another big. Kanter is too flawed and Evans is worthless.

My bad. Durant was in his 3rd year, westbrook 2nd, and harden 1st. not that big of a difference imo... our core had been around longer

Is any one of our draft picks better than those three guys? NO! When you draft, you have to get a little lucky and make good choices. I am hoping that Hayward continues to improve and get better. He is very close to westbrook and harden but he still isn't there yet. He has to do it longer even though I think overall he has skills that both westbrook and harden don't have, he isn't the scorer like those two are. He has shown improvement but he needs to make an all-star game or two before he is considered on westbrook and harden level. The Jazz have no player who even looks close to being a Durrant.

I was excited about Exum and still love his potential but he is years away from being the player I hope he can become. I don't know if he has the drive or "ego" to become a star player. He hasn't even shown he can be a very good player yet. He has shown some potential but lately he seems too passive to think he is going to just develop this "I am the man" kind of player. I hope he does because the Jazz need him to be an all-star caliber player down the line for them to compete in the Western conference.