What's new

Do we have the best bench in the league?

I'd say that should be gauged in playoffs.
But it is nice to look back on old days when Malone/Stockton and Don/Rudy were backed by weak bench units and realize how good we have it now. That sense of dread when you had to rotate in Tony Bradley for instance.

On second thought I think the magic when they are healthy are pretty close bench wise.

If you click on this link there is a table with updated sortable information.

The Jazz are second in NBA bench points per game, but IND leads by a wide margin. OKC and then NOR lead in +/-.

I've actually watched all of this teams a bunch this season and would say OKC is the best. They are extremely deep.

The Jazz are second in NBA bench points per game, but IND leads by a wide margin. OKC and then NOR lead in +/-.

I've actually watched all of this teams a bunch this season and would say OKC is the best. They are extremely deep.

OKC definitely does not have the best bench. It isn't even close to the bench that we are putting out there right now.

I overlooked Indy though. They have a really solid bench crew.

By no definition would I consider them the best. I really like Wallace and Joe but they can't come close to the big man depth of Olynyk and Kessler.

They lead the league in +/- by a lot. They have 15 players that get situational minutes and 14 of them have a positive net rating.

I would agree that they don't have the most talented bench, but they all play their roles perfectly and fit in with their starters extremely well. By that definition they are the best.

They lead the league in +/- by a lot. They have 15 players that get situational minutes and 14 of them have a positive net rating.

I would agree that they don't have the most talented bench, but they all play their roles perfectly and fit in with their starters extremely well. By that definition they are the best.

I will let you die on that hill that the thunder have the best bench but I strongly disagree. They may have a great +/- but that has more to do with them playing minutes with really good starters than the bench taking over the game. That is an absolute rarity for the thunder. The thunder aren't rolling out 4 or 5 bench players for extended stretches during prime game time the way we are right now. I would also guess that since we went to this current crew they are the best in the league by a pretty big margin.

I will let you die on that hill that the thunder have the best bench but I strongly disagree. They may have a great +/- but that has more to do with them playing minutes with really good starters than the bench taking over the game. That is an absolute rarity for the thunder. The thunder aren't rolling out 4 or 5 bench players for extended stretches during prime game time the way we are right now. I would also guess that since we went to this current crew they are the best in the league by a pretty big margin.
I'm not dying on any hill, lol, I was very specific about what I meant.

Most teams don't roll out hockey lineup changes and so the role of most benches is to complement their starters. OKC does that extremely well.

Last edited:
If our bench played a basketball game against the OKC bench who would win? In this hypothetical the benches are the starters and never come out of the game.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

If our bench played a basketball game against the OKC bench who would win? In this hypothetical the benches are the starters and never come out of the game.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Us, for sure.

The guard marchup might be pretty even, but KO and Kessler would destroy their bigs.

I would also guess that since we went to this current crew they are the best in the league by a pretty big margin.

It took me a second to calculate this, but since Clarkson came back from injury our 5 main bench players are averaging 10.12 net rating. The OKC bench during that same stretch was 7.66. I'm not going to go through every team, but you very well could be right.

Obviously we do… we have an $80M player that can’t even get any playing time.

I’d say we have two legitimate 6th MoY candidates in Kessler and JC. KO is great, Ochai is solid, Key is improving. I say yes.

Looks valid. Our bench got better when we moved clarkson there. That’s 12 games. Before that wasn’t pretty

Obviously we do… we have an $80M player that can’t even get any playing time.

I’d say we have two legitimate 6th MoY candidates in Kessler and JC. KO is great, Ochai is solid, Key is improving. I say yes.
It would be pretty crazy for Kessler to win that award, but I think he should be in the conversation at the moment. It would definitely go against the grain from who typically wins the award.

It took me a second to calculate this, but since Clarkson came back from injury our 5 main bench players are averaging 10.12 net rating. The OKC bench during that same stretch was 7.66. I'm not going to go through every team, but you very well could be right.
I can only pull up the last 15 from. NBA.com but it has us as the 2nd in net rating from the bench behind NO during that time. Ppg we are also #2 behind Indiana.

Indy bench is #1 in PPG because of the 7 second offense they run. They do also have solid bench units, especially the small ball group of Hield, Nesmith, Smith, Nembhard, Mathurin which is +12.6 in net rating (only 31 minutes in 7 games though). Its a crazy small group as there is just 1 guy taller than 6'6 in that lineup.

OKC bench +- benefits a lot of the minutes they get to play with the starters. As you can see from the pic below, if you remove only Chet and SGA from possible 5 man lineups, they have only 5 separate lineups that have played a total of 7 or more minutes together all season. Their big man depth is the biggest issue. Joe, Wallace and Wiggins are a very good 1-3 group from the bench.

Btw I hate the fact that there is no way to filter between Jalen and Jaylin in the lineups tool at NBA.com. I also have no idea which Williams is the one in those lineups lol.

1705301721997.png

Pelicans are a different team based on the 5 man lineup looks. Their best/most used starting 5 has -2.7 net rating, so in their case the bench is definitely providing some major assistance.