What's new

Do we trust our organizational culture?

BS ,they've improved ever since Gobert fell into their lap
lol, "fell into their lap". It's impressive, the extent you'll go to avoid giving DL credit for anything.

fact is when Rudy was injured we all saw what kind of team the Jazz were without Gobert.Gobert would make every coach in the NBA look smart and good.
Team struggles without its best player. News at 11.

Interesting topic. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with risking long-term assets on a potential short-term rental once the team is a little more established (WCF) as there is a greater league-wide stigma surrounding Utah as a FA destination imo. OKC has had more recent success & Westbrook is a bigger star than Mitchell (currently).

A big reason I believe we would be better off letting the core develop/grow together for an additional year or 2 is my trust in the team culture. This past season has convinced me that this team may not necessarily need a 3rd star to contend (although actually winning a championship might be a different story) due to our system/style of play/DM & Gobert/etc.

Our core is already competitive & only going to improve as LBJ/GSW/etc continue to age. They're also young enough that imo it would make the most sense to focus on maintaining long-term flexibility unless the perfect situation happens to present itself.

This team (& DM's pull) still needs another year or 2 to grow before taking this type of gamble imo. With 2 young stars, a solid collection of young complimentary pieces, & time on his side, DL can afford to sit back & get a better read on the roster/league before attempting to add that final piece to push this team into contention.

I think we can quit with the GSW aging nonsense for a few years. Steph and KD are only 30 and probably have 6 elite seasons left. The other two are 28. Do the math.

I quoted the post you quoted of mine. Sorry you weren't the person who didn't remember. But I did just comment on his post giving him a reminder.

You're correct there were reasons they were not happy. But they still didn't leave without saying something as he indicated.

I don’t think Lyles or kanter left. I think they got traded.

OKC does 2 things better than fellow small market team the Jazz:

1) OKC takes big swings so their players feel like there is always the possibility of getting an impact player. Even if Carmelo deal didn’t work, that was Big swing that showed PG and Russ that they are willing to try and make a win now splash.
2) Utah is possibly the worst team in the NBA at marketing their players. OKC turned Durant and Westbrook into household names and national pitchmen. Even Karl Malone never reached the national star status he deserved. If Utah invested more in PR for their players, I think Utah would have a better shot at signing “name” free agents.
Kind of odd that such a smart team would let a future MVP go; I guess that was a "big swing" that didn't pan out.

Kind of odd that such a smart team would let a future MVP go; I guess that was a "big swing" that didn't pan out.

Never said they were a smarter team. OKC, New Orleans, Portland, etc are less conservative than Jazz and willing to go for a giant move and are better at marketing their players to a national audience. If Utah learned to make their players national stars, I think Utah would attract more free agents. Most NBA stars don’t want to endorse the local mattress store as their biggest sponsor