What's new

Do you, or someone you love suffer from hearing loss?

Harambe

Contributor
You should get on that ****. Being unable to hear seems to have some sort of link to cognitive decline.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/658810909/can-t-hear-well-fixing-hearing-loss-can-keep-your-memory-sharper

(N=2,040)

"We found the rate of cognitive decline was slowed by 75 percent following the adoption of hearing aids"

So really... get on that ****. Put your pride aside.

Somehow believe NPR is "a bunch of liberal tree huggers"? Sure. Read the study breakdown.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jgs.15363

Living with someone with hearing loss is no fun. Having hearing loss would be even worse. Hearing aids sadly aren't a cure-all for everyone.

You should get on that ****. Being unable to hear seems to have some sort of link to cognitive decline.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/658810909/can-t-hear-well-fixing-hearing-loss-can-keep-your-memory-sharper

(N=2,040)

"We found the rate of cognitive decline was slowed by 75 percent following the adoption of hearing aids"

So really... get on that ****. Put your pride aside.

Somehow believe NPR is "a bunch of liberal tree huggers"? Sure. Read the study breakdown.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jgs.15363

I hear about 30% to 50% less in my right ear than my left, but have never had it tested. I think it's from how my bone formed. My gf hears only 50% with her left ear. We've gotten in the habbit of her being on my left and I (me?) being on her right or it makes it one hell of a frustrating conversation.

Living with someone with hearing loss is no fun. Having hearing loss would be even worse. Hearing aids sadly aren't a cure-all for everyone.

No. And I don't think the intent of the article is to describe a cure-all. However, if in some folk we can stem the decline of cognitive ability through helping them hear better, it feels like something worth going through the motions over.

I have pretty severe hearing loss in both of my ears. We do hearing tests every year at my work and mine are always horrible.
I think its due to the fact that i had tons of ear infections and ear drum ruptures when i was young and now there is a bunch of scar tissue in there.
It sucks. I hate making people repeat themselves to me all the time so i often just pretend like i hear people even when i have no idea what they said.

I have pretty severe hearing loss in both of my ears. We do hearing tests every year at my work and mine are always horrible.
I think its due to the fact that i had tons of ear infections and ear drum ruptures when i was young and now there is a bunch of scar tissue in there.
It sucks. I hate making people repeat themselves to me all the time so i often just pretend like i hear people even when i have no idea what they said.
I do this too at times. I have hearing loss due to chemo. It isn't total, it is actually really weird, but I lost some tonal ranges, and I have a very hard time hearing things with background noise, like in a busy warehouse I have a really hard time differentiating the voices from the noise when I am interacting with people. It also left me with fairly severe tinnitus. Very frustrating. But otherwise, I can hear really faint or distant noises in silence. I hear the dog barking down the street when no one else can and I can hear the TV like on 5 or 6 and make out clearly what is going on, while for my wife it has to be on 30 or so minimum.

I hear about 30% to 50% less in my right ear than my left, but have never had it tested. I think it's from how my bone formed. My gf hears only 50% with her left ear. We've gotten in the habbit of her being on my left and I (me?) being on her right or it makes it one hell of a frustrating conversation.

My wife only hears 50% of what she wants to hear me say, out of one of her ears.

My wife can hear stuff. Everything. A mouse sleeping in the attic next door. A fly on her cake in the Kitchen, from the other end of the house.....Except when I try to tell her something...….

She says I am deaf, but I know it's smarter to be deaf than open my mouth and answer, giving evidence for her case.

I cant afford a damn hearing aid. They (good ones anyway) are very pricey.

I cant afford a damn hearing aid. They (good ones anyway) are very pricey.
Found one for you bro.

old-time-ear-trumpets.jpg