What's new

Do you think Favors regrets it?

phippsj

Sorry... no links. Deal with it, but I'm sure those who have been on this board for a while will remember what I'm referring to.

Just before the beginning of the season, there was press about Favors and Kanter working out with Malone. One of the things that Malone pushed Favors to do was work on a "go to" move/shot. I also remember in a different interview Favors said he just worked on his all around game and didn't focus on any one move.

Fast forward a season later and nobody thinks Favors is anything more than a defensive player with put-back offensive capability. Personally I believe Favors has the tools to be a huge offensive force. However, that would require him to go through the monotony of learning a go to move. That step back fade away he pulled out a few times was reminiscent of Hakeem. However, with his size and athleticism I'd be happy with a solid drop step / hook or up and under combo. Should get him to the line plenty.

While we are all obsessed about the draft, I think the biggest chance for Jazz improvement next year is for Favors to ditch is "just play a lot of ball, kinda work on everything" mentality and really get to work this summer. He's got the time to perfect that fade away. He's got the time to work on some solid drop step combos. We can't have him doing another summer of pickup ball against lesser talent where he's playing "point 4" or whatever he was doing last year.

Sorry... no links. Deal with it, but I'm sure those who have been on this board for a while will remember what I'm referring to.

Just before the beginning of the season, there was press about Favors and Kanter working out with Malone. One of the things that Malone pushed Favors to do was work on a "go to" move/shot. I also remember in a different interview Favors said he just worked on his all around game and didn't focus on any one move.

Fast forward a season later and nobody thinks Favors is anything more than a defensive player with put-back offensive capability. Personally I believe Favors has the tools to be a huge offensive force. However, that would require him to go through the monotony of learning a go to move. That step back fade away he pulled out a few times was reminiscent of Hakeem. However, with his size and athleticism I'd be happy with a solid drop step / hook or up and under combo. Should get him to the line plenty.

While we are all obsessed about the draft, I think the biggest chance for Jazz improvement next year is for Favors to ditch is "just play a lot of ball, kinda work on everything" mentality and really get to work this summer. He's got the time to perfect that fade away. He's got the time to work on some solid drop step combos. We can't have him doing another summer of pickup ball against lesser talent where he's playing "point 4" or whatever he was doing last year.

My biggest concern with Favors is, does he have the drive or personality to be great. He seems like a nice guy but does he have the personality to go to burke or hayward and say give me the freak'n ball. I think he doesn't have to develop one move but he has to be confident when he gets the ball. He should a few moves based upon what the defense gives him. Sometimes Derrick is still trying to decide what he should do with the ball instead of just reacting to what the defense gives him. The Jazz need to do a better job of running plays just for him. Both Kanter and him get frozen out some times by our guards. What was great about Stockton, he would start feeding Malone and then when the teams started doubling him John would have open jump shots. Burke and Hayward need to realize that they need to feed Favors first and then they can start taking shots. John always knew his first job was to get Malone involved.

For me this is the breakout year for Favors, he better show up in great shape and start demanding the ball. I agree the Jazz need to get Malone in there all camp and tell Favors this is the way I want you to do this when this happens..then practice it and then use it in games. Reinforce it until it becomes second nature. Favors has the physical gifts to do it but he is still short on the mental ability.

Favors needs Randle to give him a kick up the bum.

Imagine pairing them together - I bet Favors will be fired up.

First of all... Randle shmandle.

Ok, now on to the real topic.

I really hope Favors regrets not working on a specific go to move. You really need 2 or 3 to be a successful scorer in this league. Defenses will take away one or two go to moves but may have trouble taking away 3 or more. He does need to be more aggressive in wanting the ball and/or demanding the ball, but in order to do that he has to have a move or two.

If he cal learn to score consistently, the team will have the option of playing him at the 4 with Gobert who will play the Mark Eaton role. At this point I have a little hope Gobert could form some sort of offense, but in reality it's not likely. I do like having a big defender roaming the paint though with another big defender on the other side.

Wishful thinking, sorry. Favors will be a better than good player..nothing more..we are homers and see more, but its not coming. He is too nice and passive.

IMO, the entire team needs to ditch the P3 crap and work just on basketball. I don't care how much their vertical improves. What matters is can they hit shots.
I'm so tired of seeing open jumpers go in for every team in the league, yet when it comes to Utah, the shot goes up and you just hope someone might be there for an offensive rebound.

Under Sloan, Jazz were often among the league leaders in FG%. Unathletic players thrived in the system and turned into solid contributors. I always liked Sloan's comment about not needing more shooting guards, but needing a "making" guard. Jazz need that at every position.

And back to the topic...Favors needs to work 100% on offense. He made some strides last year, but still not enough.

IMO, the entire team needs to ditch the P3 crap and work just on basketball.

Good point. Maybe DL (or the new coach) will change what they players focus on in the offseason

Wishful thinking, sorry. Favors will be a better than good player..nothing more..we are homers and see more, but its not coming. He is too nice and passive.

This is true and its not a bad thing. I dont think there are many left here that think Favors will become a stud, but he is certainly a key piece in our efforts to rebuild. Not every player needs to be a star. I see him as our third best player once we are competing again.

I think the whole thing about favors saying he didn't work on a go to move is probably the media influence. I am sure favors works on go to moves. He is young, and definitely is improving offensively. He had a couple of moves kind of like an up and under, but a little further out, coming across the key to the weak side, that it looked like he had been working on, and then he had a spin/dropstep move that he showed a couple times this season. I think he is definitely working on a couple go to moves, but it takes time to figure out against the best athletes in the world.

If he can get to a consistent 18 ppg and 10+ rebounds, with over 2 blocks a game, the jazz will be hard to pay against. He would be even more lethal if he could pass well as well.

Favors definitely made some improvements with his offense, its still not all there, but he looked better for sure. For me its all on coaching, what does the new coach wanna do with favors and kanter.

Favors definitely made some improvements with his offense, its still not all there, but he looked better for sure. For me its all on coaching, what does the new coach wanna do with favors and kanter.

Lionel Hollins is the right coach....he played with the two bigs Gasol/Randolph with Memphis!