What's new

Do you want our pick to convey this year?

Do you want our pick to convey to OKC this year?

• Yes, and hopefully make some noise in the play in/play offs

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • No, I want a Top 10 pick this year!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Undecided/No Strong Preference

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters

SoberasHotRod

Our pick is top 10 protected this year. Currently we are in 12th place, 2 games out of 10th. We are also in 11th place in the west, 0.5 games out of the play in.

The 2024 draft is expected to be a weak draft, comparatively to the 2025 draft. If our pick doesn't convey in 2024 or 2025 then we are at risk of not having a pick to swap in the 2026 draft.

On the other hand giving up a lottery pick with a top 10 protected pick is probably the worst case scenario for any protected pick. Especially where we sit right now, conveying a pick while not even making the play in would be depressing.

Definitely not. This team still has a lack of talent and this draft has plenty of really good prospects that fit our needs.

Definitely not. This team still has a lack of talent and this draft has plenty of really good prospects that fit our needs.

If we continue to talk about building around Lauri, we should prioritize older/more ready prospects in the draft. By the time a 19 year old in the 2024 draft is ready to make a difference, it might be too late.

I think there are few upperclassman in this draft that are interesting, but not sure if they would be good options at the draft range we would be picking at.

If we continue to talk about building around Lauri, we should prioritize older/more ready prospects in the draft. By the time a 19 year old in the 2024 draft is ready to make a difference, it might be too late.

I think there are few upperclassman in this draft that are interesting, but not sure if they would be good options at the draft range we would be picking at.
If Knecht is available then I am taking him but I wouldn't be overly concerned about how quickly a young guy can start to help. Yes they might take longer to peak but that doesn't mean that they also can't be a very valuable contributor as they improve over those first few seasons.

Yes. Especially after having acquired two picks this year. We don't really need three more rookies on the team, with Hendrix and Brice already struggling for minutes.

Our pick is top 10 protected this year. Currently we are in 12th place, 2 games out of 10th. We are also in 11th place in the west, 0.5 games out of the play in.

The 2024 draft is expected to be a weak draft, comparatively to the 2025 draft. If our pick doesn't convey in 2024 or 2025 then we are at risk of not having a pick to swap in the 2026 draft.

On the other hand giving up a lottery pick with a top 10 protected pick is probably the worst case scenario for any protected pick. Especially where we sit right now, conveying a pick while not even making the play in would be depressing.
I don’t have a strong preference. If I had to pick I’d say get a top ten pick. Taylor could be good and we still end up bottom 10… similarly he could be bad and we still make the play in or just miss the play in and the pick still conveys (darkest timeline).

It’s a bad draft but a top ten pick still has value. Mentioned him a ton but a top ten pick could nab us Deni potentially. So could be a win now prop. Also a chance you jump to top 4 and can nab Williams.

Next 3 games are pretty massive. Let’s see what these guys got.

There's enough talent in the top 10 of this draft that the Jazz should keep their pick and deal with the OKC obligation later. Jazz can use the rest of this season to evaluate Brice and Taylor, but neither have shown enough impact to forego this draft.

Definitely want to keep the pick this year. This is probably their last chance at an early pick. There's no way to predict where those Wolves and Cavs picks will fall.

The worst case scenario would be conveying a #11 or #12 pick this year. Better to convey a #20ish next year.

The picks they acquired last week were akin to adding another Brice Sensabsugh and Jared Butler. Clearly those picks were not the primary motivation.

Last edited:
Jazz should have drafted Bane instead of Dok. If they had drafted Bane the entire trajectory of the franchise might have turned out differently.
There's sometimes a few diamonds in the rough late in the first round and even second. But no one seems to have a good way of identifying them ahead of time.

Counterpoint is having a top ten pick to send out in trade is more helpful now and a prospect now is more helpful than drafting someone in a year or two.

There are enough pros and cons on both sides that I believe JZ when he said they aren't trying to force an outcome and would likely be good either way. I just think we have to avoid the darkest timeline which is giving the pick while simultaneously missing the play in.

Definitely want to keep the pick this year. This is probably their last chance at an early pick. There's no way to predict where those Wolves and Cavs picks will fall.

The worst case scenario would be conveying a #11 or #12 pick this year. Better to convey a #20ish next year.
Should next year's team have six rookies / 2nd year players in the rotation, picking #2 is more probable than #20.

Counterpoint is having a top ten pick to send out in trade is more helpful now and a prospect now is more helpful than drafting someone in a year or two.

There are enough pros and cons on both sides that I believe JZ when he said they aren't trying to force an outcome and would likely be good either way. I just think we have to avoid the darkest timeline which is giving the pick while simultaneously missing the play in.
Yeah Tony Jones wrote that this year FO wont intervene further.. but I think thats only true if that darkest timeline you mentioned doesnt threaten to turn into reality.

Yeah Tony Jones wrote that this year FO wont intervene further.. but I think thats only true if that darkest timeline you mentioned doesnt threaten to turn into reality.
I think Tony was told that in good faith... but if DA sees a need he will intervene. I could see Lauri and JC missing 3-5 games each naturally and for legitimate reasons and it being enough to sink us maybe. It sounds like OP jr. is hurt or not in the plans at all. So we will sink or swim with the young guys. Houston has kind of sucked lately so I'm not sure they have the juice to pass us. GS on the other hand... its going to be interesting.

The two things I mentioned on the pod were the young guys and the Collins/Lauri/Kessler frontcourt. If one or both of those things workout then we convey the pick.

Good points. Would a top 10 pick this year be more advantageous to a trade than what we could do once our pick conveys?

Good thread.

Playoffs baby

We have 5 remaining games against the Warriors. Sounds crazy but it’s true. Those games will have a massive effect on the play-in.