What's new

Does Donovan make All NBA team this year

slc

So to get his entire supermax salary DM has to make All NBA team this year
15 spots I think
6 spots for guards
What are his chances
What does he have to do

This is actually the part of the contract that bothers me. Such an arbitrary standard (given how the voting goes), and one that players holding this clause in their contract might not see as closely aligned to team success. And making a $30 million difference.

Gonna be that *** and say I hope not (unless it gets us to AT LEAST the WCF).

Meanwhile, Conley's gonna be playing for his last payday. Gonna be interesting.

Gobert made it last year
Two players from same team both getting there is very rare
Lebron and AD made it and won title

Funny how the supermax is so punishing to UTA, the type of team it was supposed to held. The supermax would have been success if the raise did not count against the cap. But instead, it goes down as another CBA change like the luxury tax that makes it harder for small markets to compete. Something tells me that the suits that put together these rules think the rules have panned out exactly as planned....

So to get his entire supermax salary DM has to make All NBA team this year
15 spots I think
6 spots for guards
What are his chances
What does he have to do
Let's see: Harden, Steph, Luka, Dame will probably be ahead of him. There is some possibility to make the third team. Some players to keep an eye on: Booker (or Paul if the Suns make the playoffs), Kyrie, Trae Young and Ja Morant. The last two will also depend on team success.

Could go either way honestly. There are just so many good guards in the west. If his play in the bubble translates to this upcoming season then he'll make it but that's going to be hard to do.

Funny how the supermax is so punishing to UTA, the type of team it was supposed to held. The supermax would have been success if the raise did not count against the cap. But instead, it goes down as another CBA change like the luxury tax that makes it harder for small markets to compete. Something tells me that the suits that put together these rules think the rules have panned out exactly as planned....
If you're suggesting that such rules are a trojan horse that actually purposefully benefits major market teams, I don't disagree.

If he puts up 30 per game, sure, but tons of guards that are given the reins to shoot like Harden, Dame, Curry, etc.

Would be advantageous capwise if he didn’t honestly.

This is actually the part of the contract that bothers me. Such an arbitrary standard (given how the voting goes), and one that players holding this clause in their contract might not see as closely aligned to team success. And making a $30 million difference.
I think that is specified by the CBA. Like the rose rule... I don’t think we pulled it out of a hat.

I very much prefer team performance incentives. These type give incentive to go for numbers.

I think there is a 25% chance of it. You have to outperform legacy guys by a healthy margin to take their spot.

He’ll have to elevate his defense. Then see a rise in offensive efficiency.
The defense shouldn’t really matter. As long as one isn’t perceived as a sieve, nobody cares. This is where it’s challenging because $30M to play for yourself isn’t something to scoff at. In the venn diagram of playing to win and playing for yourself, $30M tends to lie a bit more within the “playing for yourself” bubble. Defense will move the needle quite a bit on playing to win. Not so much on playing for $30M. And it’s tough because of our largest weaknesses, him being able to step on the defensive end would actually go a long ways in trying to address that.

The defense shouldn’t really matter. As long as one isn’t perceived as a sieve, nobody cares. This is where it’s challenging because $30M to play for yourself isn’t something to scoff at. In the venn diagram of playing to win and playing for yourself, $30M tends to lie a bit more within the “playing for yourself” bubble. Defense will move the needle quite a bit on playing to win. Not so much on playing for $30M. And it’s tough because of our largest weaknesses, him being able to step on the defensive end would actually go a long ways in trying to address that.
Don't know if Donovan will see it this way, but all-NBA voting has not been bad at rewarding team success and defense over individual scoring accolades (see Chris Paul vs. Bradley Beal, among others, this year). If Jazz have much stronger than expected season, he'll likely get rewarded by the voters. A fifth-place conference finish, no matter his averages (unless he achieves Lillard-like efficiency), probably won't get it done.

Where is the poll?