What's new

Does Jerry Sloan know what a timeout is?

feeko

I've noticed this horrible trend game after game this season. Sloan does not take timeouts when the time is critical to take one. Hornets just made a big run and he failed to slow it down and regroup the troops.

On a side note that is going to haunt me all season, looks like we won't be seeing Fesenko much more this season which is gonna hurt us more than anyone really thinks

Did you just start watching the Jazz? Jerry rarely takes timeouts to slow the other team's momentum. I cannot tell you how many times he has let a 5-10 pt lead turn into a 10+ pt deficit without once stopping play or making a sub, preferring to let them "play through" then try to spend the rest of the game digging out of the hole. It is very frustrating to watch another team get on a roll and spend half a quarter or more high-fiving each other with dunk after dunk while the Jazz look like they are walking in mud and Jerry has that mouth half-open dumb look on his face without once making a move to counter. It is one of his larger weaknesses. If he were more astute with taking timeouts and making subs to disrupt the other teams runs it would add 3-5 wins per year in all likelihood.

That said, I think this year he has been better than in years past, but old habits die hard. This is one part of the game he will probably never figure out.

obligatory Jerry timeout thread after a blowout loss thread.

fail-cat1.jpg

Cannot really blame Sloan. Players did not seem to care about the game. Especially, when your PF and Center are taking Js and escapes physical contact, one of whom is supposed to be post player, and the Jazz cannot have the much needed inside-out balance at any point in the game and there are lots of uncalled defensive 3 seconds, you can only get disappointed with the effort and approach of players to a very winnable game against a lesser opponent. Props to NOH.

You take away Deron's penetration inside and crowd the painted area, the Jazz become too much dependent on AK's and Raja's shots and drives, which is never consistent, and actually generally terrible. CJ did play terrible but I cannot accuse him too much, what I know about him is he is not a smart basketball player, nor is Price.

I don't think a timeout would have taught the Jazz how to play Basketball tonight.

today we could have used 100 timeouts and it wouldn't have made a difference. Hell, maybe the team thought tonight's game was one big timeout?

Short answer = yes

Long answer = Does your mom know timeout?

Last night I was screaming such, but your mom continue with the nasty.

Bad girl.

C'mon guys we all know that if Jerry would have just called time out, the Jazz would have won!

My favorite Jerry Sloan "won't call a time out" moment was last year against Dallas. Nowitzski goes off in the forth quarter and scores 20 straight. No time out, no defensive switch, no win.

I still have nightmares about that game.

Cannot really blame Sloan. Players did not seem to care about the game. Especially, when your PF and Center are taking Js and escapes physical contact, one of whom is supposed to be post player, and the Jazz cannot have the much needed inside-out balance at any point in the game and there are lots of uncalled defensive 3 seconds, you can only get disappointed with the effort and approach of players to a very winnable game against a lesser opponent. Props to NOH.

You take away Deron's penetration inside and crowd the painted area, the Jazz become too much dependent on AK's and Raja's shots and drives, which is never consistent, and actually generally terrible. CJ did play terrible but I cannot accuse him too much, what I know about him is he is not a smart basketball player, nor is Price.

I read the words in this post but I didn't pay enough attention to get what you were saying. Is it my fault or yours? That's all.