What's new

Does the Utah Jazz new a new coach (and who's available next year)?

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
I respect Ty Corbin for what he's done as an assistant coach under Sloan.

But really, to be honest, won't we benefit from someone who's may be been there and done that? We have enough rookies on the team, do you really need a rookie coach too?

I don't mind signing someone to a long term coaching contract, if that coach has a proven track record.. but Ty hasn't had that track record. Isn't it a mistake to hastily lock him up when he hasn't had a chance to prove himself?

An argument can be had that Thibodeau is a rookie coach too, and look what he's done with the Bulls. But don't forget that Thibodeau was put in charge of Celtics' defensive strategies and he's won an NBA title doing that.

Anyone worthwhile considering who will be available next year?

Did Thibodeau take over in the middle of a season and have his best player traded two games in?

No.. but he did have to integrate more than a few new recruits during the off-season (Boozer, Korver, Brewer, Asik, Bogans, K Thomas), 3 of which are starters. Also Boozer missed more than a few games to start the season.

But that's not the point - Thibodeau had proven himself with Celtrics while Ty has not. Was it prudent to lock him up long term straight away?

No.. but he did have to integrate more than a few new recruits during the off-season (Boozer, Korver, Brewer, Asik, Bogans, K Thomas), 3 of which are starters. Also Boozer missed more than a few games to start the season.

But that's not the point - Thibodeau had proven himself with Celtrics while Ty has not. Was it prudent to lock him up long term straight away?

And he had a whole preseason to integrate them, and he still had their best player.

And Corbin had been interviewed for head coaching jobs for several years. Sloan also had tight control over his schemes. Corbin was pretty much being groomed for a head coaching job.

And he had a whole preseason to integrate them, and he still had their best player.

And Corbin had been interviewed for head coaching jobs for several years. Sloan also had tight control over his schemes. Corbin was pretty much being groomed for a head coaching job.

Get all that - but he still hasn't proven himself when we signed him - has he?

Wonder why he hasn't been signed as a head coach after all those years being interviewed...

Wow so many Corben apologists here. Face it the Millers are cheap and did the wrong thing giving him a contract before he did anything.

Blaming TY is ridiculous. The only thing I blame him for his not just saying, "**** it" and starting the rookies. But how many coaches would do that without a go ahead from management?

As hard as it is to understand, the performance over the past couple of weeks already felt to me like years... so don't even want to imagine how long 2 years would feel...

Not hard to understand at all cause I'm definitely feeling it too. But, given the circumstances of the season and the fact that at least half of the roster has basically quit on the season, I'm willing to give Ty a full training camp and at least most of next season to see how things shake out. If he's the wrong fit then so be it, bring in a legit guy to run the show. Hell, I'd take Hubie Brown if he was up for it!

JVG. But that'll never happen. We locked up Corbin for next year as well because the fans know him and more importantly, he's cheap. So cheap I'd guess he's one of three lowest paid head coaches in the league.

As hard as it is to understand, the performance over the past couple of weeks already felt to me like years... so don't even want to imagine how long 2 years would feel...

Then it is a very good thing you are not a decisionmaker for anything important. Snap decisions and 2nd guessing ourselves a few weeks into a two and half year contract is a very bad thing.

Ty has made some good adjustments in game to help us get back into games. That is a sign of a good coach.

The team has been getting off to horrible starts. Some of that blame has to fall on Ty but I put a lot of on the players providing no effort.

The other way to look at it is our most effective PF's lately are AK and CJ Miles. The only big giving us anything is Big Al. Fess is terrible. Favors is perpetually in foul trouble.

Bulls started out 9-8 so it wasn't immediate. Also helps when you have the probable MVP.

Wow so many Corben apologists here. Face it the Millers are cheap and did the wrong thing giving him a contract before he did anything.

A) CorbIn was a top candidate around the league already. Had interviewed for head jobs before. It's not like they hired Gordon Chisea.
B) Jazz are one of the 7 teams in the luxury tax, meaning they have a payroll higher than 23 other teams. Cheap? Not so much.

One measuring stick for Corbin was Rocky Mountain Revue games.
Remember him and Layden head coached every other game for 3 or 4 years.
Layden lost almost every game he coached.
Corbin won almost every game he coached.
Same players. Different results.
Also listen to Corbin talk basketball.
He knows what he's doing. He just got thrown into a meat grinder to start to head coaching career.
Next year should be very different.

To blame Corbin for this buffet of crap that is Jazz basketball is ludicrous, ridiculous, and ignorant. Just in case you forgot, let's recap the events of the past few weeks. Jazz team, particularly the point guard stuffs his head up his butt, and won't correctly run the plays, creating tension in the locker room, which parlays in mostly pathetic results on the floor. Lord Sloan resigns to go drive a tractor turning the Jazz into an emotional, apathetic conglomeration of binky-toting millionaires who feel sorry for themselves and don't know which way is up. Deron, appropriately becomes the fall guy, and is traded. Now, since I have to go slow for you, let's recap the first paragraph. Team loses Master and best player. Not only was he the best player, he happened to man the most important position, especially in times of peril, which is now.
Moving along, Corbin, somewhat begrudgingly agrees to step in with a bucket and starts to bail water out of the Titanic. Meanwhile, the Jazz are in a brutal stretch of games, where the teams they play at home are either really good or pretty good, and any road game is a crapshoot when your dealing with marshmellowy mental midgets. Also, Utah's second best player is struggling with the loss of his buddy while dealing with injuries, and finally Millsap takes time off. Miles, Watson, and Bell follow. Utah's reigning Lord of the money plays like a man freed from Alcatraz for about a game and a half, sprains an ankle and decides the season's over and needs to get a head start on his novel collection. Basically, 3 of Utah's 4 best players right now are either rookies or new (Harris), another rookie that could be good, fouls about 2x per minute and his usefulness rivals Fesenko whose usefulness is currently nonfunctional. At this level (NBA), success is mostly mental. If you lost your dad, and your wife took off to be with someone else, but left you the kids and threw in a couple adopted ones too, you might struggle a bit. But go ahead and blame it on Corbin.