What's new

Does the Utah Jazz new a new coach (and who's available next year)?

Ty gets an off season and most of next season (at least) before I start making judgments about his coaching. With the unbelievable **** storm the jazz season has been it would be unfair to start blaming him. This season was lost after xmas and its only gotten worse, this whole season has been a bad dream. Just throw it away. None of it has anything to do with Ty.

I was reading the recap after the Jazz played the Bulls. https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AiphKP_q0YEngJGy6X4An5q8vLYF?gid=2011031204 (It's about half way down)

Someone asked Ty if the players had given up. He said “I’m certain they haven’t quit,” coach Tyrone Corbin said. “We have some chemistry issues.”

So the Jazz are having Chemistry issues. I don't think Jerry would have ever told the world that his team was having chemistry issues. I think Ty throwing it out there isn't the worst thing he could do, but probably not the best either.
I suspect people are going to be trying to figure out who the chemistry issues are now.

I would bet this summer, or after the CBA, some of the chemistry issues will go away as well.

To blame Corbin for this buffet of crap that is Jazz basketball is ludicrous, ridiculous, and ignorant. Just in case you forgot, let's recap the events of the past few weeks. Jazz team, particularly the point guard stuffs his head up his butt, and won't correctly run the plays, creating tension in the locker room, which parlays in mostly pathetic results on the floor. Lord Sloan resigns to go drive a tractor turning the Jazz into an emotional, apathetic conglomeration of binky-toting millionaires who feel sorry for themselves and don't know which way is up. Deron, appropriately becomes the fall guy, and is traded. Now, since I have to go slow for you, let's recap the first paragraph. Team loses Master and best player. Not only was he the best player, he happened to man the most important position, especially in times of peril, which is now.
Moving along, Corbin, somewhat begrudgingly agrees to step in with a bucket and starts to bail water out of the Titanic. Meanwhile, the Jazz are in a brutal stretch of games, where the teams they play at home are either really good or pretty good, and any road game is a crapshoot when your dealing with marshmellowy mental midgets. Also, Utah's second best player is struggling with the loss of his buddy while dealing with injuries, and finally Millsap takes time off. Miles, Watson, and Bell follow. Utah's reigning Lord of the money plays like a man freed from Alcatraz for about a game and a half, sprains an ankle and decides the season's over and needs to get a head start on his novel collection. Basically, 3 of Utah's 4 best players right now are either rookies or new (Harris), another rookie that could be good, fouls about 2x per minute and his usefulness rivals Fesenko whose usefulness is currently nonfunctional. At this level (NBA), success is mostly mental. If you lost your dad, and your wife took off to be with someone else, but left you the kids and threw in a couple adopted ones too, you might struggle a bit. But go ahead and blame it on Corbin.

So everyone in the team is to blame except Ty? Are you his wife by any chance? LOL

I was reading the recap after the Jazz played the Bulls. https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AiphKP_q0YEngJGy6X4An5q8vLYF?gid=2011031204 (It's about half way down)

Someone asked Ty if the players had given up. He said “I’m certain they haven’t quit,” coach Tyrone Corbin said. “We have some chemistry issues.”

So the Jazz are having Chemistry issues. I don't think Jerry would have ever told the world that his team was having chemistry issues. I think Ty throwing it out there isn't the worst thing he could do, but probably not the best either.
I suspect people are going to be trying to figure out who the chemistry issues are now.

I would bet this summer, or after the CBA, some of the chemistry issues will go away as well.

Chemistry as in guys not playing with each other enough due to new teammates, young players, injuries messing up rotations, new PG replacing an All Star PG.

One measuring stick for Corbin was Rocky Mountain Revue games.
Remember him and Layden head coached every other game for 3 or 4 years.
Layden lost almost every game he coached.
Corbin won almost every game he coached.
Same players. Different results.
Also listen to Corbin talk basketball.
He knows what he's doing. He just got thrown into a meat grinder to start to head coaching career.
Next year should be very different.

Not saying he doesn't know basketball or that he wasn't a good coach.. I did give him a lot of credit in my opening thread..

It's all about who is most likely to succeed in pulling together a team of new players, a lot of them are rookies? If my life was to depend on it? I would choose someone who's a bit more experienced. Who's been there done that (or at least proved at the NBA or College level that he/she had some sort of success).

Signing Ty was definitely a brave move by Utah. It is possible that he will success and I for one would like to see him succeed. But odds are that it will take him a while to get all the experience he needs in this league to get to that level.

Jazz were in a very unique situation before they signed Corbin for next year. Here is a franchise that stuck with a head coach for 23 years that never won a championship.

There must be dozens of seasoned coaches out there at the college and pro level that would jump at the opporutnity at that type of stability, that type of support from the FO, possibly 5 top ten picks over 3 seasons (including Favors and Hayward) and a top shelf PF. Don't ask me to name names - that's not the point. Jazz could have let Corbin play out as interim and then see what names popped up.

Insteand, in the name of stability, The Jazz sign a guy with no experience and so far no original ideas.

It can be argued all day long but the simple fact is that Ty deserves a full year and he's going to get it. The Miller's are not going to turn around and buy a guy out just months after extending him.

To blame Corbin for this buffet of crap that is Jazz basketball is ludicrous, ridiculous, and ignorant. Just in case you forgot, let's recap the events of the past few weeks. Jazz team, particularly the point guard stuffs his head up his butt, and won't correctly run the plays, creating tension in the locker room, which parlays in mostly pathetic results on the floor. Lord Sloan resigns to go drive a tractor turning the Jazz into an emotional, apathetic conglomeration of binky-toting millionaires who feel sorry for themselves and don't know which way is up. Deron, appropriately becomes the fall guy, and is traded. Now, since I have to go slow for you, let's recap the first paragraph. Team loses Master and best player. Not only was he the best player, he happened to man the most important position, especially in times of peril, which is now.
Moving along, Corbin, somewhat begrudgingly agrees to step in with a bucket and starts to bail water out of the Titanic. Meanwhile, the Jazz are in a brutal stretch of games, where the teams they play at home are either really good or pretty good, and any road game is a crapshoot when your dealing with marshmellowy mental midgets. Also, Utah's second best player is struggling with the loss of his buddy while dealing with injuries, and finally Millsap takes time off. Miles, Watson, and Bell follow. Utah's reigning Lord of the money plays like a man freed from Alcatraz for about a game and a half, sprains an ankle and decides the season's over and needs to get a head start on his novel collection. Basically, 3 of Utah's 4 best players right now are either rookies or new (Harris), another rookie that could be good, fouls about 2x per minute and his usefulness rivals Fesenko whose usefulness is currently nonfunctional. At this level (NBA), success is mostly mental. If you lost your dad, and your wife took off to be with someone else, but left you the kids and threw in a couple adopted ones too, you might struggle a bit. But go ahead and blame it on Corbin.

.....pretty good post....I hope your right. I take that back. VERY good post!

.....pretty good post....I hope your right. I take that back. VERY good post!

I hope that's sarcasm.. or else.. god help us all.. ~__~

.. actually he could become a writer - his first movie should be the Lord of the Jazz staring Ian McKellen as Lord Sloan..

Seriously though - c'mon guys.. who else is available early next season? As I'm sure Ty wouldn't last that long... (no offense (pun intended))

I'm not blaming Corbin for the Jazz's sucktitude, but I do blame him for giving Bell the minutes he's getting. Frankly, both Bell and AK should be coming off the bench only when the rookies are struggling. As of now his concern should be giving Favors/Hayward playing time, although I do admire the principle of trying to put the lineup out there that you think would win the most games for a playoff spot.

My other bone to pick with him is that I wish he'd get a tech for his team. There have been games where the Jazz are getting reamed by the refs, and I don't think I've seen him scream at the refs once. I'd just like to see it to show that he has some fire.

I'm not blaming Corbin for the Jazz's sucktitude, but I do blame him for giving Bell the minutes he's getting. Frankly, both Bell and AK should be coming off the bench only when the rookies are struggling. As of now his concern should be giving Favors/Hayward playing time, although I do admire the principle of trying to put the lineup out there that you think would win the most games for a playoff spot.

My other bone to pick with him is that I wish he'd get a tech for his team. There have been games where the Jazz are getting reamed by the refs, and I don't think I've seen him scream at the refs once. I'd just like to see it to show that he has some fire.

He must have heard you cos he just got a tech vs Wolves..

... Also Miles is making him look like a genius right now by starting him.. don't really mind it though HA HA HA HA HA!