What's new

Doner kebabs in Utah?

Do y'all have 'Donair shops' in Murika? Cuz they're legit all over the place here in Edmonton.

It isn't a full-fledged Döner Kebab-- it has Döner meat, but it is put into a wrap, and covered in 'sweet sauce', or Donair sauce.

I always figured this was a North America thing, but some quick searching is telling me that Donairs were made in Atlantic Canada. Huh.

FYI the Döners in Germany >>>>> whatever the hell we make here. Gods, I haven't been to Germany since I was 14. CANNOT WAIT to get my hands on a Döner whenever I go back :p

****, Dal, we've got shawarma shops all over Toronto. They contribute to my girth on a regular basis.

Someone once told me that there is a shawarma shop on every single block in Ottawa.

They don't really call em shawarmas here though. Mostly known as donairs. I think it's because we don't really have as many Arabs/Persians as there is farther east-- Edmonton is mostly Lebanese and Pakistani, as far as the middle east in concerned. And the lebanese shops call em donairs

Cool, pretty close to ESA. Maybe I'll have to stop by before the next game I attend.

Oh, and welcome to jazzfanz! Interesting first post.

Best doner I had in germany was in Coburg. Methuselah's uncle pushed this little cart around and cut them off a cone of what looked like home-stacked mystery meat, pretty sure some mutton in there. He put them in 1/4 of a home-made flat bread that his mother made for him each day, split open for the pita effect, which were about the size of a dinner plate. Had to be about 2 pounds when it was all done, and he liked us so ours were usually bigger. Simple yogurt sauce shredded cuke/onion/tomato on top, the meat spiced perfectly, just the right mix of fatty lean and gamy (not too much of any, the right amount of all 3). Wow I could eat one of those for every meal. When he ran out he went home, and he ran out fast. There was always a line even though he always seemed to be in a different spot, people found him. Luckily he liked us so we always had one even if he closed and waited for us (yeah I actually lost weight on my mission, go figure).

One of the better gyros in Utah is actually at Crown Burger. Pretty standard tzitziki sauce and tomato/onion. But the meat is always good and the pita is warm, and the fixings fresh. For gyros that is my go-to spot in Utah. Plus their onion rings and fry sauce are the bomb.

Last edited:
In Reno the best gyros are at Spiro's Bar and Grill. Great greek food all around, but their gyros are something else.

418497_361284713895106_100000407426636_1207700_511129104_n.jpg

Mmm....It must be lunch time.

Mmm.. must be breakfast.
a5ebyvu9.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You'd fit right in here. This is my street. My apt is right on the right where the street narrows.
I'll pass by these cafes at 10 am and they'll be a few guys drinking beer outside. Never ceases to amaze.
Prost! Cheers! Guten Morgen!

2010.08.21.174431_St._Martinsbasilika_Malteserplatz_Amberg.jpg

Someone once told me that there is a shawarma shop on every single block in Ottawa.

They don't really call em shawarmas here though. Mostly known as donairs. I think it's because we don't really have as many Arabs/Persians as there is farther east-- Edmonton is mostly Lebanese and Pakistani, as far as the middle east in concerned. And the lebanese shops call em donairs
A lot of the places here are Lebanese, and they generally call them "shawarma", which makes sense if wikipedia isn't leading me astray (shawarma being a levantine food, Lebanon being in the Levant). "Donair" comes from some dude with a Greek name in Halifax, and is presumably a different transliteration of the Turkish "doner".

A lot of the places here are Lebanese, and they generally call them "shawarma", which makes sense if wikipedia isn't leading me astray (shawarma being a levantine food, Lebanon being in the Levant). "Donair" comes from some dude with a Greek name in Halifax, and is presumably a different transliteration of the Turkish "doner".

Very interesting. I wonder why the term 'donair' tends to be more popular here among the Lebanese then. Hmmmm. I did some reading, and what youre saying seems to be bang-on.

I just had a doner for dinner. mmm mmm "mit allem" (you know someone speaks correct german when they say it like this)

I think for the Doner Kebab to really reach the next level of culinary greatness they need Cheeto flavored bread .