What's new

Donovan enters elite company: Michael & Iverson

It's amazing how much he has dominated. He's averaging 40 points over 4 games. He scored 57 even though he only scored 2 in the first quarter. He's making amazing reads and passing the ball really well too.

I thought he did something amazing when he was the first rookie since Wilt to lead his team to a playoff series win in 2018. Now, he's doing stuff in lists with MJ and others.

If you truly break it down, Don has clearly had a better first 3 seasons than anybody in the history of the game minus maybe Wilt. Definitely better than MJ. It is absolutely wild what we are witnessing.

It's amazing how much he has dominated. He's averaging 40 points over 4 games. He scored 57 even though he only scored 2 in the first quarter. He's making amazing reads and passing the ball really well too.

I thought he did something amazing when he was the first rookie since Wilt to lead his team to a playoff series win in 2018. Now, he's doing stuff in lists with MJ and others.

If you truly break it down, Don has clearly had a better first 3 seasons than anybody in the history of the game minus maybe Wilt. Definitely better than MJ. It is absolutely wild what we are witnessing.
I wouldn't go that far. Both Magic and Larry were superstars by the end of their rookie seasons.

I wouldn't go that far. Both Magic and Larry were superstars by the end of their rookie seasons.

Magic and Bird joined stacked contenders. Hell, Magic joined top 5 NBA player all time Kareem who was in his prime. They had moments, but they didn't carry their teams or anything. Their teams were already set and they were icing on the cake.

Don didn't join an All Star. Don actually replaced the team's only All Star (Hayward). And the team actually got better and achieved more.

Magic and Bird joined stacked contenders. Hell, Magic joined top 5 NBA player all time Kareem who was in his prime. They had moments, but they didn't carry their teams or anything. Their teams were already set and they were icing on the cake.

Don didn't join an All Star. Don actually replaced the team's only All Star (Hayward). And the team actually got better and achieved more.
The Celts went from 28 wins to 63 after Larry joined them. The Lakers won NBA title with Kareem out the final game and Magic playing center in his place and scoring more than 40 pts. Not only that but Parish, McHale, DJ, Ainge joined after Larry. And as good as Magic was, Larry was ROY and first-team All-NBA. Magic had by far the better supporting cast.

Last edited:
The Celts went from 28 wins to 63 after Larry joined them. The Lakers won NBA title with Kareem out the final game and Magic playing center in his place and scoring more than 40 pts. Not only that but Parish, McHale, DJ, Ainge joined after Larry. And as good as Magic was, Larry was ROY and first-team All-NBA. Magic had by far the better supporting cast.

You make excellent points. I forgot that Bird entered in 79 not 80.

I would say that Wilt and Larry have probably had better starts to their career than Donovan. Magic had that epic game as a rookie moving to center, but still, the Lakers were freaking stacked.

All in all, Don has had a top 5 start all time to an NBA career. Some of the accomplishments, milestones (3rd fastest all time to 5,000 pts), beating OKC as a rook, etc. puts him in special company.

He’s been unreal. But what I can’t wrap my head around is why do so many people think he’s still a chucker? I was under the impression that he was a lot more efficient this season. Just shows you people don’t watch Jazz games or look up DM stats

We need an engineer to make some Kareem-esque goggles for Mitchell once play outside the bubble resumes. They should be engineered to somehow enhance the orange of the rim. I want Donovan to get these site lines and depth perceptions for the rest of his career.

We need an engineer to make some Kareem-esque goggles for Mitchell once play outside the bubble resumes. They should be engineered to somehow enhance the orange of the rim. I want Donovan to get these site lines and depth perceptions for the rest of his career.
Speaking of which, wouldn’t the dark, theater-like lighting they used to use during Lakers’ games help?

Let’s get the crew at Vivint on the phone.

I’m kind of sick of all the qualified stat stuff they are doing these days but this one I like. 50 pts is a nice round number and it’s a meaningful stat... also not qualified with age. Luka is amazing but the “he’s the first guy to do this at this age when getting a triple double”... I love Luka... the offenses now are heliocentric so these guys are going to crush records on the usual... just focus on the fact they are really damn good and not all the weird *** numbers.

Speaking of which, wouldn’t the dark, theater-like lighting they used to use during Lakers’ games help?

Let’s get the crew at Vivint on the phone.
It might but it’s a lot of just the feeling of a smaller gym too imo. I can’t imagine it has that much to do with it... I think he’s leveled up. He’s seeing the game so well and really cerebral. So I think it’s slowing down and he knows where his shots are coming from.

I’m kind of sick of all the qualified stat stuff they are doing these days but this one I like. 50 pts is a nice round number and it’s a meaningful stat... also not qualified with age. Luka is amazing but the “he’s the first guy to do this at this age when getting a triple double”... I love Luka... the offenses now are heliocentric so these guys are going to crush records on the usual... just focus on the fact they are really damn good and not all the weird *** numbers.
shut up

It might but it’s a lot of just the feeling of a smaller gym too imo. I can’t imagine it has that much to do with it... I think he’s leveled up. He’s seeing the game so well and really cerebral. So I think it’s slowing down and he knows where his shots are coming from.
It's the not traveling part of it which is the biggest difference between bubble ball and regular playoff basketball.