What's new

Donovan Mitchell All NBA?

royzzz

Will Donovan Mitchell make All NBA?
How tough it would be with only 6 slots for a guard/backcourt?
You have Doncic, Lillard, Harden and Curry who are already penciled even before any games have started.
Then you have CP3, Murray, and Morant. Not including McCollum, Wall and Booker with sentimental favorites already on the list.
This is just the west!
From the east there's Lowry, Simmons, Oladipo, Holiday, Walker, Irving and Westbrook.

Extremely tough. Just tons of point-heavy guards given the green light to toss it up. Would need 30 PPG to even have a chance and shoot about 48%.

I think it's entirely plausible.

Let's hope he plays at that level but the incumbency advantage/reputation/politics keeps him from the award for the sake of the Jazz's cap situation (if he makes an All-NBA team this year his contract will cost about $6 million more a year, IIRC).

I doubt it.
I think he will need to average at least 28 points per game and the jazz end up top 4 in the west to have a chance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

1, jazz make it to top 3 in the West to justify having two players in all-nba

2, DM improve his stats to 27+5+5 or better which makes it tough for the media and fans to ignore AND the jazz secure a top 5 finish in the West

3, Rudy is gone by mid-season and Jazz makes it to the playoffs. The league will then choose DM to represent the Jazz as its lone star in all NBA team.

I don't know exactly what it would take, but if he does somehow make All NBA then he would be totally worth and deserving of the full $195M contract. There are sooooo many talented guards around the league (Harden, Luka, Lillard, Curry, etc..). Donovan would have to be balling out of his mind all season with all of the competition in the guard category.
When Donovan went off and played like a superstar against Denver in the postseason his stats were amazing. His stats were right around what Harden, Luka, and Lillard averaged in the regular season. So I'd say a jumping off point for making All NBA would be him playing near the level he showed in the playoffs for the entire regular season..

I don't see it. Just too many good guards. Playing in a small market and having so few games nationally televised definitely won't help either.

When Mitchell plays at the point, he plays a lot like James Harden, except he doesn't hog all the shots.

The Jazz's offense is now a machine that generates open 3pt looks. It starts with Mitchell coming off a screen at the top, or just beating his defender without a screen. Then he breaks the paint, collapses 2 or 3 defenders, and makes an athletic pass to find an open 3pt shooter. Ball swings, and someone gets a pretty wide-open look. It's a lot like Houston two years ago when they were the #2 offense in the league behind Golden State. Substitute Bogdanovic for Eric Gordon and Mike Conley or Jordan Clarkson for Chris Paul, playing off the ball. Rudy sets screens and rolls to the rim like Clint Capella. The 5th guy can be a 3D defender like Royce, Oni or Morgan.

The point is that the Jazz are now clearly designing their offense around Mitchell with the ball in his hands. It's like the James Harden era in Houston. Mitchell is going to be very high usage.

Last edited:
I don't think that being in a small market is a problem for Don in that matter, if he really plays great he will get the recognition. It's not like Rudy who may be snubbed from those kind of things because he doesn't do fancy stuff on offense. But it's going to be tough because of the competition and I don't know if he can sustain necessary efficiency for a whole season.

Donovan probably won’t make All NBA this year, but he’ll make it during this contract a couple times IMO. We should also very much hope he makes it in the next few years so he’s eligible for a super max extension in 3.5 years from now.

It's tough cause that's real rarified air, but he totally can. Already deservedly made the all star (as a reserve, but not as an injuryreplacement), and kept getting better, on the bubble took his game to another level - and not the 50 point games, but the quality of display with the ball at his hands, running the offense - and looks ready to do so for an entire regular season, and I'd say the Jazz knows and is betting on that (this was always the long term plan, right ?)

More a question of how much he shines and how high we finish in the West (anywhere from 2# to 6# is conceivable).