What's new

Donovan Mitchell Chokes The Game Away

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner

Not enough people talking about this. Your franchise star in a Game 6 down 3 with 3 minutes to go misses a FT. He makes this and then Utah has the ball with the chance to win instead of Conley racing down the court into an unforced error.

This was the first domino that fell in the clutch that ruined the Jazz.

They’re not in the game without Mitchell’s performance, there are better places to apply blame to than him.
You're right. Your offensive "super-star" who shoots 80%+ from teh FT line should not be expected to make FT's in the clutch. Thanks.

Not enough people talking about this. Your franchise star in a Game 6 down 3 with 3 minutes to go misses a FT. He makes this and then Utah has the ball with the chance to win instead of Conley racing down the court into an unforced error.

This was the first domino that fell in the clutch that ruined the Jazz.
I love the consistent messaging but this is closer to a @MeloTheJazzKiller post about teh Knicks winning a title than an actual real post. There are like 10 moments bigger than this one and it’s not close.

I love the consistent messaging but this is closer to a @MeloTheJazzKiller post about teh Knicks winning a title than an actual real post. There are like 10 moments bigger than this one and it’s not close.
Eh, I'd disagree.

I think it was the biggest missed opportunity (in terms of ease of conversion impact) for the Jazz in the final 5 minutes. The four others are the missed wide open Royce 3, the forced Bogey 3, the missed open step-back 3 from Conley, and the missed game winner from Bogey.

Like I said, if Mitchell just makes that easy FT, the Jazz can call TO and play the clock out for a game winner. It's not a stretch, it's reality.

At the end of the season, Don got bashed for dominating the ball too much down the stretch. In almost all 6 playoff games, he was intentionally sharing the ball and deferring to other guys.

Last night, Bojan and Conley all got more emphasis down the stretch. Don barely saw the ball after the 3 minute mark.

It didn't work

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

At the end of the season, Don got bashed for dominating the ball too much down the stretch. In almost all 6 playoff games, he was intentionally sharing the ball and deferring to other guys.

Last night, Bojan and Conley all got more emphasis down the stretch. Don barely saw the ball after the 3 minute mark.

It didn't work

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
It worked. The Jazz got better looks and played a more competitive game down teh stretch than they have all year.

If we went with Don he would have been dribbling off his foot and forcing terrible shots.

Don played a great game (offensively) other than that critical FT error.

Eh, I'd disagree.

I think it was the biggest missed opportunity (in terms of ease of conversion impact) for the Jazz in the final 5 minutes. The four others are the missed wide open Royce 3, the forced Bogey 3, the missed open step-back 3 from Conley, and the missed game winner from Bogey.

Like I said, if Mitchell just makes that easy FT, the Jazz can call TO and play the clock out for a game winner. It's not a stretch, it's reality.
Rudy not coming out to close on DFS... one missed free throw ain't it... doesn't even win the game... if one of those 5 things change its a win. Stahp... u better than this.

These guys aren't robots. They miss shots from time to time.
"From time to time" Donovan's clutch free throw stat was like 50% this season. He shot a lower % at the free throw line in the clutch than Rudy this year. But hey, this all hurts him so much. Even though he played an entire series of inefficiency, no defense, and then is entitled enough to say "ask me in a week" in regards to him demanding a trade. The dude is a self deluded joke. Should we look at his 3 point % this series? Brutal. He was horrendous. He's hid behind "points per game" long enough.

"From time to time" Donovan's clutch free throw stat was like 50% this season. He shot a lower % at the free throw line in the clutch than Rudy this year. But hey, this all hurts him so much. Even though he played an entire series of inefficiency, no defense, and then is entitled enough to say "ask me in a week" in regards to him demanding a trade. The dude is a self deluded joke. Should we look at his 3 point % this series? Brutal. He was horrendous. He's hid behind "points per game" long enough.
Under 20%

I think Andy Larsen had a stat about the Jazz futility from three in this series. This year the Stars were perhaps the worst GLeague there was and they had 15 players finish the season with a higher percentage from three than the Jazz in this playoff series. That is just pure suckage. The Quin apologists will be saying": Öh but he didn't shöot the ball for them."but he can devise a structure to discourage the players from taking them if they are that bad.

Dude man your guy Gobert didn't do much either but some giraffe dancing
You're right, Rudy didn't have a great series, Rudy also isn't saying post game "ask me in a week" in regards to whether hes going to demand a trade. The lack of self awareness of how bad Donovan was and how much of this failure is on him, is laughable. He refuses to look in a mirror. Just like when he's asked about taking difficult/bad shots. The answer is never "I need to get better shots" its just that "I need to make those shots, I wouldn't change them no matter how difficult or bad of looks they were".

You're right, Rudy didn't have a great series, Rudy also isn't saying post game "ask me in a week" in regards to whether hes going to demand a trade. The lack of self awareness of how bad Donovan was and how much of this failure is on him, is laughable. He refuses to look in a mirror.
I hear what you are saying but I believe the locker is divided because of Rudy. I don't believe most of his teammates like him or agree with his opinion. Again I'm saying I don't believe we will be successful keeping them both

....the forced Bogey 3....

That was the one that Terance Manned your season this year.

Time not an issue at that point...why not just get the two? Chuck up a three and CLUNK. I saw Porzingis do that for the Mavs last year in playoffs. They traded his *** right after that. Why do guys go into hero-three-ball mode when if you just play basketball, you have a better chance of winning a close game?