What's new

Donovan Mitchell - CRT and Off Court Racial Issues were Draining

mdalby

Respectfully to Salt Lake City, for you what was it like leaving a city that had a predominantly white population to one that is predominantly Black? Does it remind you more of being back home in New York?

It’s a little comforting for me, 100%. I’m not going to lie about that. It’s no secret there’s a lot of stuff that I dealt with being in Utah off the floor. If I’m being honest with you, I never really said this, but it was draining. It was just draining on my energy just because you can’t sit in your room and cheer for me and then do all these different things. I’m not saying specifically every fan, but I just feel like it was a lot of things. A [Utah] state senator [Stuart Adams] saying I need to get educated on my own Black history. Seeing Black kids getting bullied because of their skin color. Seeing a little girl [Isabella Tichenor] hang herself because she’s being bullied.

Man, it was just one thing after another. And I will say, it’s not the only place it happens. But for me, I’m continuing to be an advocate for [racial equality] and to receive the amount of pushback I got over the years, it was a lot.

I can understand how that would be very draining and how he wouldn't want to deal with it anymore.

I think, thanks in very large part to the internet and exposure to other world views outside of the Utah bubble, up-and-coming generations here are a lot more progressive. That gives me hope.

'Course, the blatant gerrymandering leading to a state legislature dominated by senators such as the one Mitchell mentioned isn't helping.

Last edited:
It’s concerning that we couldn’t make it work with him, considering how much he seemed to genuinely love Utah for a few years. Maybe it was all an act, but you can’t blame him for being exhausted by the small-mindedness that some show. I think that the majority of Utahans could at least respect his right to speak on these issues. I would also assume that we probably have a larger population of vocal idiots that oppose that kind of platform than other places. Hopefully we can be better. I wish we could know if that is the entire reason he started to sour, or if it was an excuse to justify wanting to end up in a bigger market.

Interesting article. There have been some severe problems in Utah in regards to race relations in the last few years, but the cop thing happens literally everywhere, unfortunately. In Utah it is probably more noticeable because there are so few people of color in general. I still get the feeling DM is just kind of vindictive and not very genuine, but that is just my impression. Also from the few of these I have read so far after the trade, I get the distinct impression that DM was not a big fan of Snyder. He either skims over that part or says very little about Snyder when discussing his time in Utah. I really wonder how many relationships were just falling apart last year that lead to our horrendous playoff performance, and to the dissension and obvious apathy during the season.

What a giant load of bull. We aren't any different than any other city so to say it was draining is just stupid. I guess it wouldn't have been draining in other cities where rioters were burning down city blocks and crime and drugs were leading to thousands of people being shot every year.

Racial injustice exists everywhere.. especially the police racism towards black population.

In predominantly white and religious areas where you'd most expect it to happen its often easier to see due to confirmation bias.

But it happens everywhere... including Cleveland, which btw has declared racism as a public health crisis in the city as recently as last year.

What a giant load of bull. We aren't any different than any other city so to say it was draining is just stupid. I guess it wouldn't have been draining in other cities where rioters were burning down city blocks and crime and drugs were leading to thousands of people being shot every year.
No no no, Utah is way worse than, like, Chicago, because we are too white. So much white. Scary white. That is way worse than anything you could possibly imagine in any other city. So white.

1671478486556.png

You really think SLC is just like NYC?

I'm glad Don keeps talking about the racial issues in Utah. They are real... which sucks cuz I think there are a lot of awesome things and people in the state.

I just have a hard time when Don is talking about the playoff loss being a blessing and having fun playing basketball again. Those were issues Don could have fixed.

Interesting article. There have been some severe problems in Utah in regards to race relations in the last few years, but the cop thing happens literally everywhere, unfortunately. In Utah it is probably more noticeable because there are so few people of color in general. I still get the feeling DM is just kind of vindictive and not very genuine, but that is just my impression. Also from the few of these I have read so far after the trade, I get the distinct impression that DM was not a big fan of Snyder. He either skims over that part or says very little about Snyder when discussing his time in Utah. I really wonder how many relationships were just falling apart last year that lead to our horrendous playoff performance, and to the dissension and obvious apathy during the season.
The Stuart Adams thing is legit garbage by a state Senator. But yeah......a cop gave you attitude until you showed him ID? We've all dealt with an a**hole cop on a power trip. I can distinctly remember about 4 experiences with officers that were.....not pleasant. Donovan is all about making Donovan look good. He does it in another part of the article where he states he wishes the Rudy/covid thing wouldn't have been made into such a story line or so distractive to the team........HE LET IT FESTER FOR 3 MONTHS....does he have absolutely no self awareness? He's not genuine, he never was, he isn't in Cleveland, he won't be when it goes sour as he leaves there too. He just makes sure its "never a Donovan problem" and its "poor Donovan" and lets make Donovan look good and like the victim in every scenario. Still just as happy he was traded as the day it happened.

You really think SLC is just like NYC?
You really don't think there is all kinds of crap that goes on in NYC as well? I guess you don't follow the news and the constant assaults and slashings on the subways and people just walking down the street.

I'm glad Don keeps talking about the racial issues in Utah. They are real.
They are real everywhere. Is there one city in the NBA without racial issues?

The bigger difference is that racial issues got heavily politicized in 2020, and Salt Lake City is one of the few NBA cities in a very red state. Oklahoma City is honestly the only one I can think of that compares. So state Senators can say the crap like the one guy did with no real repercussions.

No no no, Utah is way worse than, like, Chicago, because we are too white. So much white. Scary white. That is way worse than anything you could possibly imagine in any other city. So white.

View attachment 13561
Let us just mention Donovan spent his time in school at one of the most expensive schools in the nation that has about 80% white enrollment, and 5% African American enrollment. He's building them a new gym. He's one of the most disingenuous humans on earth.

I won't pretend to know the specific dynamics of the locker room that led to the tension/frustration of last year's team, nor am I inclined to take sides/assign blame for it to any single or small number of individuals. But I am with Donovan 100% in understanding the draining nature of the off-court stuff he mentions in Utah.

I have a lot of thoughts, but don't have time to explain them today, so I just want to register my support for him and wish him the best on the Cavs. Hope they win a title this year if the Jazz don't.