What's new

Donovan Mitchell is shining

jjscap

The biggest question for the Utah Jazz before the season was if DM could take a step forward. He is this team's ceiling because it's basically impossible to win a title without an elite player (minus '04 Pistons) and DM is the only player on the roster with that potential.

With about 10% of the season behind it's safe to say he has displayed tremendous improvement all around and has become a true all-star.

Utah at the moment might have serious issues to address but they're accomplishing the most important goal of all.

DM needs to be smarter in those end game situations. He had Bogey open behind the 3 in one of those crucial possessions when he drove and the game was still within reach.

The biggest question for the Utah Jazz before the season was if DM could take a step forward. He is this team's ceiling because it's basically impossible to win a title without an elite player (minus '04 Pistons) and DM is the only player on the roster with that potential.

With about 10% of the season behind it's safe to say he has displayed tremendous improvement all around and has become a true all-star.

Utah at the moment might have serious issues to address but they're accomplishing the most important goal of all.

Absolutely. Everyone is so preoccupied with our problems with rebounding and Conley's struggles that we don't give Donovan enough credit. He's been great so far, his shot looks awesome, he draws fouls and every game makes some jaw dropping plays.

He's been great. That 15-18 foot range is money... will be there in the playoffs. Getting rid of the garbage floaters has really helped. He looks more in control and like he can scale it up when he needs too... last year he looked like he was forcing it and needed to scale back.

He's been amazing on defense... I thought it might be talk, but he's backed it up. Takes a lot of energy to give it on both sides.

DM and Bogey holding up their ends of the deal. Rudy has been good on defense, but looks off on offense. He had a knee brace on and I wonder if he isn't 100% right now. Might just be precautionary.

Also, DM is just the best guy. Consistently impressed with how great a human he is. It isn't a requirement to stop and sign at every tunnel, but he has never left my kids disappointed. Took my 8 year old daughter to the game on Friday and she got her Issue 1s signed... she was beaming. Security was being overly aggressive that night... DM called them off and took care of every kid (and adult collector... these guys are ruining it for real fans). It must be exhausting... he never seems bothered.

Yes a big plus right now is DMs advanced stats are very solid. 61% TS%, best shooting percentages across the board solidly for his career. Rebounds up. Assist to turnover ratio better than last year. Net rating over 12. His efficiency is drastically improved. That's a definite positive this season so far.

A big sign for me is that he can get 20+ points in a game without feeling like he has taken it over (and in the 30's when he does take over). He also seems better on defense and rebounding. Being able to score efficiently like that is a big step. He still has a lot of areas to improve, but he is such a stud.

If he doesn't develop any more, he would be a multi-year allstar. If he keeps making improvements...

DM needs to be smarter in those end game situations. He had Bogey open behind the 3 in one of those crucial possessions when he drove and the game was still within reach.

He was the primary ball handler for most of the fourth last night. Connelly didnt contribute. DM simply ran out of gas before the finish line.

But yeah DM can wear blinders occasionally. Like staying beyond the arc with a couple of seconds to go and down only by 1 the game before.

But those are minor quibbles about a 3rd year guy with little offensive help out there in the crunch besides Bog.

Yes minor quibbles. All I know is every time I see an advertisement for the NBA, Mitchell is front and center. I think people like the fact that he's a normal sized guy that can find ways to score in traffic, has a sweet J and can soar in for jams like some kind of superhero (spidaman). I agree, he's taken the next step, which bodes really well for our immediate future.

The dude is ballin' (and not just when he's punching Aron Baynes).

He's taken it to another level (again, thanks, Pop!) and he'll be even better once Conley starts hitting shots and takes some defensive attention off of Donovan (yet he's still scoring more despite the continued defensive pressure - probably because he's gotten better at penetrating and finishing = way more free throws).

I will get a second helping of the Kool-Aide please.

My biggest question now is if it matters?

Conley is not what we expected in our trade.

Gobert is a locker room problem.

Ingels is not a rotation player.

Exum is dead.

So what do we have?

Mitchell and Bogdanovich?

So what, 7th seed?

I think I'm already done with this season.

I'm not sure I'm even a Jazz fan anymore.

I'm sick to my stomach reading Gobert's comments.

Bye Jazzfanz. I'm actually done. Gobert was such a positive for me. Now I have no faith in the Jazz. This season has lost all meaning for me.

I think I'm done being a Jazz fan.

Thanks Rudy. I hope you die in a fire.

Exum is dead.

So what do we have?

So what, 7th seed?

Bye Jazzfanz. I'm actually done. Gobert was such a positive for me. Now I have no faith in the Jazz. This season has lost all meaning for me.

Geez...Did your significant other leave you?

PIPM (player impact plus minus) OFF, DEF, NET
  1. Giannis Antetokounmpo PF 25 MIL 222 +3.49 +1.74 +5.24
  2. Damian Lillard PG 29 POR 264 +3.45 -0.14 +3.32
  3. Kawhi Leonard SF 28 LAC 183 +2.10 +1.19 +3.29
  4. Donovan Mitchell SG 23 UTA 237 +1.73 +1.49 +3.21
  5. Kyrie Irving PG 27 BRK 237 +3.26 -0.19 +3.08
  6. Anthony Davis PF 26 LAL 211 +0.64 +2.06 +2.71
  7. LeBron James SF 35 LAL 210 +1.77 +0.86 +2.63
  8. James Harden SG 30 HOU 247 +3.37 -0.91 +2.46

Exum is dead.

So what do we have?

So what, 7th seed?

Lol. What the hell?