What's new

Donovan's Defense

Nobody here is saying he should be a lock down defender. Most of us are just going for, ‘not a turnstile’. Most of us are just going for, ‘give a little effort’. We all know he’s capable of being a good defender, and the reason he hasn’t been, is because of his effort.
He isn't capable

Donovan broke character following Kobe's 'Detail' piece on him before the Rockets series his rookie year. It's been Mamba mentality ever since and he ain't no Kobe. The Kobe curse is alive in Donovan.

Have y'all seen Don "try"? He still sucks even when he tries lmao. it's not really an effort thing, tho that is trash too. He just lacks basketball IQ in a broad sense (very good scoring IQ and good at reading kick outs on drives, but that's it).

He has weak ankles and weak hips more than anything.

Meh... Ain't no coming back from @LoPo admitting Donovan is the least mature player in the history of any sport by his own words. If a guy let's let's another guy affect his life like lopo said Rudy affected Donovans that child like.

I disagree with him on saying Donovan is that amazingly immature and agree with you that both he and Rudy are guilty, but to let a guy take completely over his entire game and life like lopo has said a few times?! That's weak, that's not leadership, that's being a coward.

Again I disagree with lopo but if he's right....
Don't misquote me. I said Don and Rudy were both immature.

The bug dumbass who touched all the microphones and his teammates' belongings in the lockerroom is the most immature player I've ever seen.

He should cry about it publicly. Or complain to the media again like a toddler. Rudy is the behind the scenes cancer who is now gone. Celebrate

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Have y'all seen Don "try"? He still sucks even when he tries lmao. it's not really an effort thing, tho that is trash too. He just lacks basketball IQ in a broad sense (very good scoring IQ and good at reading kick outs on drives, but that's it).
Donovan Mitchell absolutely shut down Jamal Murray in the second half of Game 7.

It's too bad that Mike Conley has been such an absolute waste of space in the postseason. No defense. No big shots. No clutch moments.

We should have sent Conley with Rudy. They both share the "not great in the playoffs" trait.

I don't think he's a bad defender he just doesn't want to play it.
Agreed. And in lots of ways that's way way worse. I'd take a guy that struggles some on defense but puts in the effort over sometime gifted at defense who just doesn't give a ****. And that's what I saw from Donovan in the playoffs this year. He just didn't care. That's gotta go imo. Trade one, trade both.

Man I was just messing around.

Don's defense will be fine under a new coach with a modern system. His defense is the least of our worries. Trading Conley should be the most talked about thing in this forum, but nobody wants to talk about it because they still won't get over Rudy being shopped then traded.

Everyone wants Conley traded. The problem is he is severely overpaid so it makes no sense to have a dozen threads about trading Conley when the return the jazz can get are crap. He's another Favors, we'll have to give up assets to get rid of him. Mitchell has far more value than Conley, and was every bit the spoiled pissy pouty diva Gobert was and more. So of course more people are talking about Mitchell's trade possibilities over Conley's. But hey, you didn't start a thread about trading Conley. So why bitch because no one else did either. That's a very Mitchell thing of you to do.

If you watch the clips on YouTube of Donovan’s defense it’s absolutely damning, at times brutally bad. Defense takes effort, focus and commitmen, and that simply wasn’t there with Donovan. Somebody on here some time back mentioned sabotage and the same thought had occurred to me. How in the heck is it possible for Donovan’s defensive effort to be better in the regular season than in the playoffs? Defense is supposed to ramp up in the playoffs, not get worse.

If you watch the clips on YouTube of Donovan’s defense it’s absolutely damning, at times brutally bad. Defense takes effort, focus and commitmen, and that simply wasn’t there with Donovan. Somebody on here some time back mentioned sabotage and the same thought had occurred to me. How in the heck is it possible for Donovan’s defensive effort to be better in the regular season than in the playoffs? Defense is supposed to ramp up in the playoffs, not get worse.
Exactly. And catering to that attitude and ego isn't a good thing. Time for him to move on. We just traded the one guy who gave full effort even when he wasn't happy with his situation. Let's not pay the guy who restricts his effort to manipulate the situation and get what he wants.

I would have expected a thread called ‘Donovan’s Defense’ to be the shortest in Jazzfanz history. Kind of like how ‘My life as an all-star center’ by G. Ostertag would be the world’s thinnest book.

I love how Don is dragged for great offense and limited defense. But Rudy gets a free pass for good defense and nonexistent offense.

No matter what DM is a great player.
The big O load/usage most probably kind of exhausted him sometimes... plus he never was the same physical specimen after the Sumner Draymondgreenesque incident...
Not gonna get on him for his D when no one besides a couple guys played D and coaching staff in the end never found a solution within the limits of the roster they had...

I love how Don is dragged for great offense and limited defense. But Rudy gets a free pass for good defense and nonexistent offense.
Rudy gives 100% effort. Even though he isn't as skilled he doesn't quit trying. Mitchell straight up ignores Rudy when he's wide open.
Mitchell is now know as one of the worst defensive players in the nba. Defense is 85% effort. That's why.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

No matter what DM is a great player.
The big O load/usage most probably kind of exhausted him sometimes... plus he never was the same physical specimen after the Sumner Draymondgreenesque incident...
Not gonna get on him for his D when no one besides a couple guys played D and coaching staff in the end never found a solution within the limits of the roster they had...
If only Mitchell played with heart and effort. The Jazz wouldn't be looking at a total rebuild and new coaching staff. Yes, it's on him. He's supposed to be the leader, his playing defensively is definitely the issue.

You gonna have to change that word that you put in front of the word defense when speaking of rudy. Its not an adequate adjective to describe what you are describing.

Rudy is the best defensive player in the league.

Donovan is the ___? offensive player in the league.

Is it starting to make sense to you?

Rudy did what he could on offense. He always had one of the highest field goal percentages and he improved considerably on FT%. There were opportunities for him to contribute more on offense but he was often being frozen out by none other than DM.

All Donovan would have to do to improve on defense is to ****ing try. And if Donovan was the best offensive player in the league, or even top 5, I'd give him a pass on his defense, honestly. But a guy who probably just cracks top 20 offensively on poor efficiency? Nah, dudes gonna need to play some ****ing defense.

If only Mitchell played with heart and effort. The Jazz wouldn't be looking at a total rebuild and new coaching staff. Yes, it's on him. He's supposed to be the leader, his playing defensively is definitely the issue.

I didn't say it's not an issue. Obviously It is. It separates him from being a top tier player, which obviously affect his team's ceiling.
Only said I'm not going to hold it against him given the specific frame of circumstances in which the issue happened.

Last edited: