What's new

Down on the Farm

"Queen City Santa" - that doesn't concern me one bit.

This is from the DLeague website: The Stampede Bighorns score Saturday was crazy:
Run-and-gun, pace-and-space -- whatever you want to call it, the free-flowing style of play that is spreading across the NBA has been taken to the extreme in the NBA's official minor league.

The Los Angeles D-Fenders averaged a league-leading 109.6 possessions per 48 minutes last season (compared to the Sixers' NBA-leading 101.6). The RGV Vipers launched 45.4 threes per game.

Yet those numbers pale in comparison to the ones produced at Division-III Grinnell College, the school that has led the NCAA in scoring in 19 of the past 21 seasons, lives by an unorthodox style of play called "The System" and made national headlines for guard Jack Taylor's record 138-point game in 2012.

So naturally, when the Sacramento Kings needed a new head coach for their affiliate in Reno, they nabbed 28-year-old David Arseneault Jr. away from Grinnell to conduct the ultimate basketball experiment.

Uggh, this coach is terrible for basketball. I read an article about his offense when the Grinnell player scored all those points. It's not even real basketball.

Uggh, this coach is terrible for basketball. I read an article about his offense when the Grinnell player scored all those points. It's not even real basketball.

The score Saturday was 158-135. There were a couple of Stampede players that were +37 in the box score (one was Nick Covington from Weber State that played for the Jazz Summer League team). That type of differential is crazy.

This is from the DLeague website: The Stampede Bighorns score Saturday was crazy:
Run-and-gun, pace-and-space -- whatever you want to call it, the free-flowing style of play that is spreading across the NBA has been taken to the extreme in the NBA's official minor league.

The Los Angeles D-Fenders averaged a league-leading 109.6 possessions per 48 minutes last season (compared to the Sixers' NBA-leading 101.6). The RGV Vipers launched 45.4 threes per game.

Yet those numbers pale in comparison to the ones produced at Division-III Grinnell College, the school that has led the NCAA in scoring in 19 of the past 21 seasons, lives by an unorthodox style of play called "The System" and made national headlines for guard Jack Taylor's record 138-point game in 2012.

So naturally, when the Sacramento Kings needed a new head coach for their affiliate in Reno, they nabbed 28-year-old David Arseneault Jr. away from Grinnell to conduct the ultimate basketball experiment.

Do these games archive anywhere? I'd be curious to look at that Reno strat in action.....for a quarter or so.

Try the official DLeague website and they have links to the various teams. It would probably be on the Bighorns homepage.

Based on this last week's games the Jazz have no prospects on their DLeague team. Cooley was either sick or hurt for both games, Kevin Murphy played like crap and I can see him getting waived early in camp. No one else stood out for the Stamps. Peyton Siva ex Ville guard and second round pick of the Pistons and Seth Curry (brother of Steph) were clearly the best players on the floor and they have both have had chances to stick in the show and haven't. Toure Murry looked really bad one night and so-so the second. I would chalk that up to flying across the country and not knowing most of his teammates.

Based on this last week's games the Jazz have no prospects on their DLeague team. Cooley was either sick or hurt for both games, Kevin Murphy played like crap and I can see him getting waived early in camp. No one else stood out for the Stamps. Peyton Siva ex Ville guard and second round pick of the Pistons and Seth Curry (brother of Steph) were clearly the best players on the floor and they have both have had chances to stick in the show and haven't. Toure Murry looked really bad one night and so-so the second. I would chalk that up to flying across the country and not knowing most of his teammates.

Thx for the update.
Not really concerned with not having "prospects" in the D-League. Last two drafts have seen us hit on all 4 first-rounders as being at least worthy of keeping on the NBA roster and working into the rotation. And the Jazz have another pick getting experience in Spain. If the Jazz were to really need an injury replacement, they could sign one of the non-owned D-Leaguers to a contract, just as they did with Diante Garrett last year.

The Jazz already have a 10-man rotation (counting the injured Hood). Clark (1/2) and Evans (3/4) are deep backups. Next year Utah will have a lottery pick and high-second rounder coming in along with possibly Neto (likely replacing Evans, Murry and Clark). Starting PF can be addressed in free agency (Kanter either returns or the Jazz sign someone else).

Toure Murry looked really bad one night and so-so the second. I would chalk that up to flying across the country and not knowing most of his teammates.

Or that he is so so. The guy has the least impressive college/NBA D-Leauge stats I've ever seen for a NBA player.

Or that he is so so. The guy has the least impressive college/NBA D-Leauge stats I've ever seen for a NBA player.

He was very unimpressive Friday night and frankly stunk. I would cut him some slack that he has been riding pine all year and had a cross country plane flight to join a new team.

He was very unimpressive Friday night and frankly stunk. I would cut him some slack that he has been riding pine all year and had a cross country plane flight to join a new team.

Sounds like Cooley is out for awhile:
The Idaho Stampede announced today that the team has acquired free-agent forward Jerrelle Benimon. Forward Jack Cooley has been placed on the inactive list due to a thumb injury he sustained in last week’s season opener.

Benimon (6-8, 245, Towson) played two years at Georgetown (2009-11) before transferring to Towson. During his junior season, Benimon averaged 17.1 points and 11.2 rebounds, earning him the Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Year award. He returned to Towson for his senior year and was named the CAA Player of the Year for the second consecutive season, averaging 18.7 points and 11.2 rebounds.

The Warrenton, VA., native played with the Miami Heat at the NBA Summer League in Orlando and with the Denver Nuggets at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. After making Denver’s preseason roster, he was waived on October 22.

Sounds like Cooley is out for awhile:
The Idaho Stampede announced today that the team has acquired free-agent forward Jerrelle Benimon. Forward Jack Cooley has been placed on the inactive list due to a thumb injury he sustained in last week’s season opener.

Benimon (6-8, 245, Towson) played two years at Georgetown (2009-11) before transferring to Towson. During his junior season, Benimon averaged 17.1 points and 11.2 rebounds, earning him the Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Year award. He returned to Towson for his senior year and was named the CAA Player of the Year for the second consecutive season, averaging 18.7 points and 11.2 rebounds.

The Warrenton, VA., native played with the Miami Heat at the NBA Summer League in Orlando and with the Denver Nuggets at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. After making Denver’s preseason roster, he was waived on October 22.

Toure Murry had a decent weekend. Score in double figures and 12 assists one night. He had a double double on Saturday with scoring and rebounding.

According to WOJ on Yahoo Sports the Lakers are working to sign forward Earl Clark who is playing for Rio Grande Valley and was a cut of Memphis this year.

Last night James Michael McAdoo playing for Santa Cruz almost had a triple double but the nasty part was that he just missed by three blocks. The guy had 7 blocked shots in the game. That is sick.

Last night James Michael McAdoo playing for Santa Cruz almost had a triple double but the nasty part was that he just missed by three blocks. The guy had 7 blocked shots in the game. That is sick.

Especially for a guy about 6'9".