What's new

Draft philosophy: get your guy or let the draft fall to you"?

Do you prefer "getting your guy" or "letting the draft fall to you"?

• Get your guy

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Let the draft fall to you

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

idiot

For the sake of this poll, let's assume that a "neutral observer" would find that moving up costs about 120% of the generic value of the spot you move to. (Maybe the fact that teams more often draft at their slotted position than trade is evidence for this assumption?)

I find this interesting in this draft, especially since there's some "consensus" that there's kind of a general tier from about 5-9. So presumably, there's not all that much difference between the prospects projected here, but I've seen lot of people saying that we really need to make a trade to get "our guy."

Is there value for a team in identifying a "guy" or is it better to (perhaps more humbly) assume that there's usually not much difference between the players in the same neighborhood of a team's draft board?

Get your guy if it's a significant difference.

Like for me I have JHS 5th on my board. I wouldn't risk him dropping to 16 so I would try and get the 10th pick and if I couldn't Id just draft him at 9

Personally I don't think there is a ton of difference between a lot of the players, so personally I would not give up assets and pick who is left.

I voted for get your guy though because I think the Jazz Front office should have a much more detailed and nuanced opinion than me. They should know exactly who they think would be best and we certainly have the assets to get them.

Personally I don't think there is a ton of difference between a lot of the players, so personally I would not give up assets and pick who is left.

I voted for get your guy though because I think the Jazz Front office should have a much more detailed and nuanced opinion than me. They should know exactly who they think would be best and we certainly have the assets to get them.
Exactly this. I do trust Ainge and Zanik, it's also fair to remember that Ainge once tried to trade 4 future first rounders and some seconds to get Justise Winslow.

So consider packages to move up to get your favorite guy, but also so much of drafting is a crapshoot even for them so take reasonable deals but don't sell the farm to get Bilal (plz)

BPA and let the rest sort itself out. But if you like a dude and you can feasibly get the dude, go get the dude. That said, this draft fairly deep, so I think Utah can come away with a couple of decent rotational pieces if they do it right.

Jazz should just keep all three picks and pick who they like
There is enough talent this year to make three good picks without giving up anything else
Jazz should be stockpiling good players for future trades