What's new

Drastic changes that are doable and don't involve a trade

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
We've all seen the bench work wonders while the starters look sluggish even though the bench has no talent. The Jazz need to apply some of what makes the bench work and simplify what they're doing.

1) GET OUT IN TRANSITION. If the Jazz are too scared, stupid, or both to run a flex set, take the advantage away from the defense and get down the court fast enough to create confusion and/or mismatches. Put pressure on the D and energize themselves at the same time.
1A) Basically combine what the '07-'08 Sixers did with the '08-'09 Suns "7 Second or Shaq" offense. That Sixers team didn't have shooters and they were an abysmal half-court team, so they became a transition offense mid-season and went on a (relative) tear. And that Suns team learned how to implement a plodding low-post player into the offense by letting him be a trailer, run their simple sets and see what they can get, and if they couldn't get anything, let Shaq do his thing. Jefferson isn't exactly Shaq, but I believe the clarity of role for him and for everyone would be helpful. AK should flourish in a transition, open offense, and Bell got a lot of his open looks since he left Utah in this fashion as well. The Jazz don't necessarily have to adhere to the time limit that strictly either.
2) Figure out a two-man game. I still think Millsap is the better candidate to be the big running it since he knows what's going on and he has agility and range that none of the other bigs have. If your initial break doesn't pan out, you might be able to hit a trailing Jefferson unguarded or on a mismatch, and if that doesn't work out immediately go into the two-man game.
3) MILLSAP NEEDS TO SHOOT MORE 3S. Why is he not shooting more 3s? He needs to shoot them more. Millsap hits mid 2s, long 2s, and has hit 3s with great results. There's no good reasons to shoot long 2s over 3s. I don't understand. Let Millsap be Memo+.
4) Learn to lockdown the defensive boards. Until Millsap and Jefferson figure out how to box out and grab a fundamental rebound, no cherry-picking and no head starts getting down the court. The rule needs to be until the rebound is secured, their feet are figuratively glued to the paint. If they can't, one has to come off the bench and they have to understand that. This is counter-intuitive to point 1, but the Jazz need to figure out how to not get embarrassed on the boards. Something has to be done.
5) They should consider starting Price (at the 2) or Watson (with Deron as the two). I'm not so sure about this one, but if the Jazz are trying to run, another ball-handler would be immensely helpful, as would someone with speed and energy. If the emphasis on transition gets Bell to start to produce then this won't be necessary, but something has to happen with the wing production as well.

This is probably discombobulated garbage. Maybe the details to my points don't make enough sense, but I still feel putting a strong emphasis on transition needs to happen for a myriad of reasons.

Anyway...

Has millsap made a 3 other than the Miami game?

We've all seen the bench work wonders while the starters look sluggish even though the bench has no talent. The Jazz need to apply some of what makes the bench work and simplify what they're doing.

1) GET OUT IN TRANSITION. If the Jazz are too scared, stupid, or both to run a flex set, take the advantage away from the defense and get down the court fast enough to create confusion and/or mismatches. Put pressure on the D and energize themselves at the same time.
1A) Basically combine what the '07-'08 Sixers did with the '08-'09 Suns "7 Second or Shaq" offense. That Sixers team didn't have shooters and they were an abysmal half-court team, so they became a transition offense mid-season and went on a (relative) tear. And that Suns team learned how to implement a plodding low-post player into the offense by letting him be a trailer, run their simple sets and see what they can get, and if they couldn't get anything, let Shaq do his thing. Jefferson isn't exactly Shaq, but I believe the clarity of role for him and for everyone would be helpful. AK should flourish in a transition, open offense, and Bell got a lot of his open looks since he left Utah in this fashion as well. The Jazz don't necessarily have to adhere to the time limit that strictly either.
2) Figure out a two-man game. I still think Millsap is the better candidate to be the big running it since he knows what's going on and he has agility and range that none of the other bigs have. If your initial break doesn't pan out, you might be able to hit a trailing Jefferson unguarded or on a mismatch, and if that doesn't work out immediately go into the two-man game.
3) MILLSAP NEEDS TO SHOOT MORE 3S. Why is he not shooting more 3s? He needs to shoot them more. Millsap hits mid 2s, long 2s, and has hit 3s with great results. There's no good reasons to shoot long 2s over 3s. I don't understand. Let Millsap be Memo+.
4) Learn to lockdown the defensive boards. Until Millsap and Jefferson figure out how to box out and grab a fundamental rebound, no cherry-picking and no head starts getting down the court. The rule needs to be until the rebound is secured, their feet are figuratively glued to the paint. If they can't, one has to come off the bench and they have to understand that. This is counter-intuitive to point 1, but the Jazz need to figure out how to not get embarrassed on the boards. Something has to be done.
5) They should consider starting Price (at the 2) or Watson (with Deron as the two). I'm not so sure about this one, but if the Jazz are trying to run, another ball-handler would be immensely helpful, as would someone with speed and energy. If the emphasis on transition gets Bell to start to produce then this won't be necessary, but something has to happen with the wing production as well.

This is probably discombobulated garbage. Maybe the details to my points don't make enough sense, but I still feel putting a strong emphasis on transition needs to happen for a myriad of reasons.

Anyway...

I bought in on #1 and #2.
You lost me a bit on #3.
#4 sounds childish, like something a Jr. Jazz or High School Coach would try--but since most high school teams would out rebound the AJ & Mislap combo it may be worth a try.
#5 is terrible. Deron has said he doesn't like playing the 2. He can NEVER be asked to do something uncomfortable. He is the franchise player and might leave if he doesn't like us.

Some good thoughts, some I don't like. I've been begging for Deron to push the ball all season. We certainly need to fix the rebounding problem (although everyone crashing the defensive boards doesn't exactly lead to many fast breaks). I'm not a fan of starting Price or Watson. We're used to watching these guys play well against other backup players, but they would bring the overall talent level down too much for our starting lineup.

I'd like to add a couple myself:

-Run a pick and roll once in a while. Not a half-a** attempt. One of the few things Boozer did really well was run a great PnR with Deron. I don't think anyone can dispute that. Sap and Al are nowhere near as good in that area.

-Every lineup needs some additional shooting. It's magnified in the starting lineup, but when your only decent shooters are Bell and Deron, the other three are going to have trouble finding space to work. That means more minutes for Hayward, Miles, and Okur. Less minutes for Al, Sap, and AK. Not drastic, but a few minutes shifted to try and have 3 decent shooters on the floor at all times.

Bring back Othyus Jeffers. He played within the system and always brought good energy. Plus, he can rebound.

I bought in on #1 and #2.
You lost me a bit on #3.
#4 sounds childish, like something a Jr. Jazz or High School Coach would try--but since most high school teams would out rebound the AJ & Mislap combo it may be worth a try.
#5 is terrible. Deron has said he doesn't like playing the 2. He can NEVER be asked to do something uncomfortable. He is the franchise player and might leave if he doesn't like us.

I thought it was pretty clear that my emphasis was on point 1 and the rest not so much (at least that's why I added that last sentence if you read that far). And I'm not saying Deron should exclusively play the 2. Furthermore, Deron has said more recently he likes playing the 2.

"I like it," he said. "I like it a lot. It allows me to come off screens and I'm one of the best shooters we have coming off screens. And I don't have to create for myself every time. I can get some good rhythm shots."

Asked if he's always been fine when coach Jerry Sloan moves him to shooting guard, Williams laughed and said, "No, but it's a little different this year."

Referring to departed Carlos Boozer and injured Memo Okur, Williams explained, "Booz is gone and Memo has been out, so I know I have to score a little bit more."
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/50881607-62/williams-shooting-guard-jazz.html.csp

Apparently he likes it a lot.

I appreciate this well thought-out post. Give it a try, Jerry. I think some of these things might expose other weaknesses and make the Jazz vulnerable in other ways, but hell, I don't know. It's worth a shot. Temporarily -- while the team learns how to set better picks and make better cuts.

Things that must go:

People saying that Deron doesn't like playing the 2.

So annoying. And wrong. And constantly brought up.

If this team can't figure it out, you try a bit of everything. Up to and including starting Earl at the 1 and Deron at the 2.

Things that must go:

People saying that Deron doesn't like playing the 2.

So annoying. And wrong. And constantly brought up.

If this team can't figure it out, you try a bit of everything. Up to and including starting Earl at the 1 and Deron at the 2.

He does not want to play full time at the two, but yeah willing to do it for a few minutes with Earl. Earl up and down for us this year. Still like AK and CJ at the two and three more than Dwill at the two.

Here are my change recomendations. I posted this in another thread but it fits here as well. I am in favor of a starting line up of Dwill, Hayward, CJ, Ak, Okur as soon as Okur is healthy again. I feel this would give the Jazz the best chance of not losing the first quarter of nearly every game. You could come off the bench with Watson, Bell, Evans, Millsap, and AJ. This allows the Jazz to play AK at his best position. This allows Millsap to come off the bench and be a beast against teams second unit Power Forwards. This matches AJ up against second team Centers while he is "learning the system" and a new position. I also feel our first team gets better in that everyone but AK can at least shoot in streaks. Dwill can create with CJ/AK/and run Pick and Rolls and Pick and Pops with Okur.

Obviously this doesn't work if Okur isn't healthy. Also this gives Ole Jerry lots of options to create mismatches and create problems for the other teams. As well as bench players who are shooting poorly. Okur/AK solve our issue of being undersized down low and actually should increase rebounding and with these line ups you could still play 2nd unit players starter type mins if they are having a good game.

I also feel we really need to speed up the tempo of the game. We have the "best" point guard in the league lets put the ball in his hands and let him create. Right now the ball sits in one place way to long. (including Deron dribbling around doing nothing) When AJ gets the ball the offense dies. I think a good option for the my second team would get the ball to AJ with no more then 10 seconds on the shot clock and if he gets the ball during that time frame he has the go ahead to iso and score.

The last thing that needs to happen is Deron Williams needs to read the book "The power of positive thinking". While I was at the Boston and Phili game I couldn't believe how negative he was in both words and actions. It was like he believed he was going to miss before he shot. (Kind of felt like the exact opposite of being in the Zone) That negativity was rubbing off on all the players around him. As the leader of this team he needs to find a way to stay in the games mentally.

Deron needs to realize that this is his team. He needs to step up and be the leader. I would also note that Hayward could be benched at anytime for Raja/Deron at the 2/Price at the 2/or if we wanted to move AK to the 3 for short periods and let CJ play the 2. This would limit his mins but still get him quality mins to develop.

I would also try to find mins for Fes by moving AK to the 3 and still playing a mix of Milssap/Aj/Okur. As much as Fes annoys me, at times he is a beast down low. His ability to change shots and beat people up is underrated by most casual jazzfanz.

/flameaway

After watching the LA game I feel the Jazz almost have to make a trade. If not my option above it the best thing that could happen to this team.

And we`re just plain screwed at the 2 and 3 spots. Get rid of Klinko - i have always been a big fan, but not any more - he just doesn`t give a rats ***.
CJ will have a big game (offensively) then shoot 1-10 the next.

I would seriously start Price at the 2. Certainly wouldn`t be as bad as Bell - offensively or defensively.

Starting lineup of Dwill, Price, Miles, Millsap, Fes - With a little Watson, AK (if we don`t trade him), Little Al, little bit of Okur