What's new

Drugs, Elites and Impunity

David Hume

My co-authored article about money laundering, drugs, and impunity was recently published in Small Wars Journal. This is the link if anyone is interested.

Thanks for sharing. Some interesting info in there.

There’s a lot to unpack before you even get to the impunity.

So many Mexico related deaths/disappearances, didn’t know it was that many.

I don’t know if I want to get started on banking because my tinfoil hat will come on.

Good job on the article. I hope it’s read and something positive comes of it.

Thanks for sharing. Some interesting info in there.

There’s a lot to unpack before you even get to the impunity.

So many Mexico related deaths/disappearances, didn’t know it was that many.

I don’t know if I want to get started on banking because my tinfoil hat will come on.

Good job on the article. I hope it’s read and something positive comes of it.
Jazz Spazz, thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I too hope something positive comes out of it. We will see.

In the 80s we structured our economy around the four big banks, called the four pillars, based along the concept of TBTF and the consequences for the economy have been disastrous. Over lending has been a massive driver of asset inflation, the average house price is now 11 to 14 times the average salary. There was a Royal Commission into the banks and no banker has faced charges or repercussions from their predatory lending practices. At present I would guess that more money in mortgage repayments is going to the banks than to the government in tax revenue. The flow on effect is high rents, high property values and despite high wages low levels of disposable income and high levels of personal debt. I feel we're a couple of months away from what will be a very long recession.

Rubashov, your insights are sobering. Are you living in Australia? I don’t recall where you reside.

Yeah mate, in addition to that the banks are too financially powerful to be taken on by the Labor government for genuine reform. Also there isn't a heap that can be done, restricting lending (which is happening driven by the banks self interest and risk assessments) puts home ownership out of reach for future generations and significant measures to deflate the value of housing (ie peoples assets) is political suicide.