What's new

Dunc'd on Podcast Utah Jazz Off-season Outlook

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Here's Dunc'd on podcasts Utah off-season preview(starts at about 34:00):
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/duncdon/2018/05/15/gswhou-game-1-uta-offseason-outlook

Some of their thoughts:
- optimistic about the future, well setup ... still need 3d star
- cap situation - Exum and Favors contract are the big variables - they can create about 19-20M by waiving everybody but.... there are not really many players that that are worth punting on Exum and Favors for this off-season. Almost everybody we can realistically pursue will be available in the MLE range(thus we don't need to give up on Exum and Favors). Jazz can also have about 50M in 2019.
- Nate thinks big one year deal makes sense for Favors(1 year 18M or something of the sort) if he cannot find something good long-term
- Nate thinks the Jazz will not pick Thabo's option because of his injury and advancing age. I disagree with this one.
- Needs - 3d star, upgrade at stretch 4, wing depth, playrs who can beat switching defense - Barton, Tyreke Evans were given as examples
- Jabari Parker - unlikely to wait on him in RFA, BUT if the Bucks don't want to resign him - there might be a S&T opportunity(Royce O'Neale, Jerebko, 1st round pick... Exum for Parker, Favors for Parker double SnT...)
- Nemanja Bjelica - great fit for Utah(DUncan's favorite)
- Seth Curry - 3d guard option
- Nikola Mirotic if NOP brings back Cousins and wants to get rid off some money
- Jerami Grant as a developing stretchy option if we can develop his shooting or small ball backup center.
- GRIII, Patrick McCaw, who they think fits really well with our system
- Exum - offer him 6-8M per year for 3 years with player option on last year
- for 2019 - up to 49M in capspace - are stars going to be interested in coming to Utah? Some might, but they doubt the biggest stars would. They mentioned players like Middleton might be an option.
- Barring Jabari, Gordon type SnT, Jazz might be better served to keep their flexibility for 2019
- Wayne Ellington, Davis Bertans if the Jazz want shooters.
- Nate Duncan - "if you cannot switch, I'm not interested in you" (as a starter).
- Isaiah Thomas - as a bench scorer for one year contract (Yuck from me)

Pretty good discussion... a lot of stuff we’ve brought up before. Bjelica is really interesting and I think totally gettable.

The Jabari stuff just scares me... he’s one knee injury from being like a Joakim Noah contract. You sign a different guy and he gets hurt he still might be tradeable if he gets hurt and returns to some level of healthy. With our injury luck we really want to bet on a “if he’s healthy” guy.

Pretty good discussion... a lot of stuff we’ve brought up before. Bjelica is really interesting and I think totally gettable.

The Jabari stuff just scares me... he’s one knee injury from being like a Joakim Noah contract. You sign a different guy and he gets hurt he still might be tradeable if he gets hurt and returns to some level of healthy. With our injury luck we really want to bet on a “if he’s healthy” guy.
I mean, Noah is bad because he is worn down from minutes and playing.

Parker has just had bad luck. When he is healthy he is as explosive as hell still.

I mean, Noah is bad because he is worn down from minutes and playing.

Parker has just had bad luck. When he is healthy he is as explosive as hell still.

If he tears his ACL this year he is an untradeable millstone. He’s penny hardaway... it’s scary.

Watching last night I do think if you think you are going to compete with the warriors in the next 3-4 years then you need to increase the risk profile... just not sure I’m ready to shoot my shot with Jabari. On the deal you mentioned I think I’d be okay, but still nervous as hell.

The Jazz won't bet on Parker after the last three seasons of dealing with multiple injuries. I think any interest there might be tepid at best.

I expect low key moves this summer, with at least one of them turning out far better than expected. Summer 2019 should be better.

The Jazz won't bet on Parker after the last three seasons of dealing with multiple injuries. I think any interest there might be tepid at best.

I expect low key moves this summer, with at least one of them turning out far better than expected. Summer 2019 should be better.

Bjelica would be a good low key move. Lights out shooter and can put it on the deck too. Has had trouble staying healthy himself but could be a bargain.

Would give us a glimpse of what Niko might look like with us.

What do you all think are the chances the Jazz go after Marcus Smart?

I would rather go down swinging. I would rather try and fail than not try at all.

We all know that really the only way we are getting another star is through the draft. We still have our picks and can keep trying that way, but the chance to pick up a guy like Jabari doesnt come around everyday. His knee situation is giving us the opportunity potentially. Its worth the risk imo. I believe is Jabari's talent. If he can stay healthy I think definitely makes us better. Its a huge risk with a huge pay off he stays healthy.

Im looking around and I dont see any other options. Im sorry, but Tobias Harris is no where near the player Jabari is, let alone guys like Durant and Lebron. Jabari is a hell of a lot closer to them than Harris is to Jabari. Donovan is a beast but to compete with the Warriors we need another beast of our own.

We will continue to be just barely on the outside looking in for a while if we continue the course. The Warriors arent breaking up any time soon or going anywhere. If we signed Jabari and he gets hurt well we are pretty much in the same position as we would be anyways(a 2nd round team). By the time he is off the books then thats maybe when the Warriors are starting to slow down. Honestly they probably will still be good. We might be waiting a long time if the plan is to wait.

To me, you should reserve your big contracts for your big swings. For the players with the highest potential. Never give big contracts to medicore players because you need help. You can find equal impact players for bargains if you do your homework and are good at your job.

Id way rather have Jabari's contract rotting on the books after he gets hurt than some other scrub who never panned out. Look at all these overpaid scrubs out there who are playing, but dont help you win or just sit on the bench. Chandler Parsons, Danillo Gallinari, Ryan Anderson, Allen Crabbe, Luol Deng, etc..

This is also why it was a blessing in disguise that Hayward left. We didnt want that contract. He isnt that good, and he reached his peak. He is way overpaid now. Thats gonna hurt Boston.

To me, you should reserve your big contracts for your big swings. For the players with the highest potential. Never give big contracts to medicore players because you need help. You can find equal impact players for bargains if you do your homework and are good at your job.

Id way rather have Jabari's contract rotting on the books after he gets hurt than some other scrub who never panned out. Look at all these overpaid scrubs out there who are playing, but dont help you win or just sit on the bench. Chandler Parsons, Danillo Gallinari, Ryan Anderson, Allen Crabbe, Luol Deng, etc..

This is also why it was a blessing in disguise that Hayward left. We didnt want that contract. He isnt that good, and he reached his peak. He is way overpaid now. Thats gonna hurt Boston.

until they trade him. Brown and Tatum are totally making him redundant. Even if they don't trade him, he ain't gonna average 24 ppg and get his precious all star berth lol

until they trade him. Brown and Tatum are totally making him redundant. Even if they don't trade him, he ain't gonna average 24 ppg and get his precious all star berth lol
I'm looking forward to seeing Hayward get his minutes and points, and see Brown and Tatum both lose minutes. Watch Hayward be the star pupil, and them get bothered with the unfair treatment because both have more potential and will be better than him in the long run, but they won't get the burn they want because they weren't childhood buddies with coach.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hayward get his minutes and points, and see Brown and Tatum both lose minutes. Watch Hayward be the star pupil, and them get bothered with the unfair treatment because both have more potential and will be better than him in the long run, but they won't get the burn they want because they weren't childhood buddies with coach.

Neither guy has gotten “paid” either. Also if Boston brings back Smart how do they balance Kyrie, Terry, and Smart. The feel good upstart May get quite selfish if this isn’t managed properly.

Alright... here is my trade of the day...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yatcuth4

The Suns also send us the 31st pick... there is depth in this draft and I want two chances to find a contributor.

The Suns would then have almost 25M to offer Capela, Demarcus, Favs (he wouldn't get it all). They can draft Doncic and fill big man void in FA.

This gives BKN about $21M in space to offer Jabari or whoever. They also get to replace Demarre with another vet leader.

Helping these teams drive up prices for competitors while getting what we want - Stretch 4, another useful pick.

Alright... here is my trade of the day...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yatcuth4

The Suns also send us the 31st pick... there is depth in this draft and I want two chances to find a contributor.

The Suns would then have almost 25M to offer Capela, Demarcus, Favs (he wouldn't get it all). They can draft Doncic and fill big man void in FA.

This gives BKN about $21M in space to offer Jabari or whoever. They also get to replace Demarre with another vet leader.

Helping these teams drive up prices for competitors while getting what we want - Stretch 4, another useful pick.
I think the Jazz would be better off skipping the middleman (Phoenix) and swapping the non-guaranteed players and DeMarre Carroll and #40.

Then try to use #40, #52 and cash to move up into the 30’s. Consolidate decent assets into better ones.

Also open to flipping Burks if it brings back a decent pick or player that can help down the line.

I think the Jazz would be better off skipping the middleman (Phoenix) and swapping the non-guaranteed players and DeMarre Carroll and #40.

Then try to use #40, #52 and cash to move up into the 30’s. Consolidate decent assets into better ones.

Also open to flipping Burks if it brings back a decent pick or player that can help down the line.

I think there is a material difference in the value difference from 31 to 40... I think it provides enough value for everyone. I'd consider DMC for 40, but would ask for 40 and 45.