What's new

Early look at FA in 2011

Favors Flave

Jazz have a lot of options to get some decent-solid players going forward. Here are some of the names
PG- Re Sign Watson, let Price walk and pick up a 3rd PG if needed

SG- Jason Richardson, Jamal Crawford, Aaron Afflalo, Wilson Chandler, Shannon Brown, Mike Dunleavy, Nick Young, Marcus Thorton, Michael Redd.

SF- Caron Butler, Thaddeus Young, James Jones, Tayshaun Prince, Rasual Butler, Shane Battier, Kelenna Azibuke, Reggie Williams and of course AK

PF- Probably don't need 1 but there are a couple for back ups, Big Baby, Jeff Green, Carl Landry, Troy Murphy

C- Might need a back up or could move Big Al to PF and Millsap to the bench- Nene, Tyson Chandler, Kendrick Perkins, DeAndre Jordan, Ryan Hollins, Alexis Ajinca, Theo Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed

Say Fes, Elson, Miles, Price are gone, what 4 guys would you add? I'd take Afflalo for SG, Butler for SF, Jeff Green for PF and Jordan for C. I think AK will be resigned anyway so he doesn't count

Look at my salary thread for realism on what the Jazz can do.

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?4797-The-Jazz-new-salary-information&p=118480#post118480

Jazz control 10 players. 7 are on guaranteed contracts. Miles has a team option. Evans has a non-guaranteed contract, which I believe basically ends up being a team option. The Nets' pick is the tenth player. Jazz can be guaranteed an eleventh player if they finish low enough to retain their own draft pick. That would be eleven. AK could be the twelfth man. I'd wager the thirteen man minimum will be retained in the new CBA. I will bet Miles will be retained. 3.7 mil is pretty cheap.

So, there's really not much the Jazz will do. Roster as I see it to start the year.

PG: Harris, ?, ?
SG: Bell, Hayward
SF: AK?, Miles
PF: Millsap, Favors, Evans
C: Jefferson, Okur

Add Nets' draft pick, Watson, and a third PG, and that's thirteen players.

Last edited:
I don't see the Jazz doing much either. AK will be resigned unless another team offers him something crazy. Miles is not good but he is cheap, so will be kept. Richardson, Affalo, and Thorton would nice options at shooting guard, but we would be outbid badly.

I don't see the Jazz doing much either. AK will be resigned unless another team offers him something crazy. Miles is not good but he is cheap, so will be kept. Richardson, Affalo, and Thorton would nice options at shooting guard, but we would be outbid badly.

Afflalo is restricted, too, I believe.

Now that you bring up the situation, I think it would be better to trade our second lottery pick for future picks.
#1 reason- Draft class is weak
#2- Cheap decent options on the market to add a player

I wish we can somehow trade Okur for anything in the offseason like the Clippers did with Marcus camby awhile back. I'd really like to see the Jazz get DeAndre Jordan as a back up C. Imagine DeAndre and Favors in at the same time, the defense would be insane

I wish we can somehow trade Okur for anything in the offseason like the Clippers did with Marcus camby awhile back. I'd really like to see the Jazz get DeAndre Jordan as a back up C. Imagine DeAndre and Favors in at the same time, the defense would be insane

And the offense insane to watch.

Say Fes, Elson, Miles, Price are gone, what 4 guys would you add? I'd take Afflalo for SG, Butler for SF, Jeff Green for PF and Jordan for C. I think AK will be resigned anyway so he doesn't count

So how much money were you planing on spending for these players. If I'm wrong say so but I think the Jazz are over the cap for next year.

I like the idea of signing Redd to hopefully a small deal (how much can he really get with his injury history?).

I think we have to look to FA in 2012 pending the lockout.

There's actually a few options at SG I really like but I don't see it happening. Thanks to the market Utah plays in, they're never going to build this team through Free Agency. Easily the 2 biggest FA signings in team history are Boozer and Okur and they only came here because 1 was a Euro who doesn't mind the climate and wasn't getting similar offers from anybody else and the other was a liar who was in the middle of swindling a blind man and found Utah as more than willing to help.

KOC really only has 2 ways to build this team: Drafting and Trades. That's why getting something for D-Will was so huge. You just don't reload with FA's after Deron leaves if you're the Utah Jazz. That's why I was such a big fan of the trade. Now we have a decent PG who may consider staying in Utah now that he's already here, a young PF/C who has as much upside as you will ever see and 2 draft picks that have the potential to be Top 5.

The only thing that may change all of this is the Sloan factor. While I think most players in the league respected Sloan, I don't think they were lining up to play for a guy who was the very definition of old school. Now with Corbin, Utah has a younger coach who just happens to be black. I doubt players still line up to come to SLC but it will be interesting to see if it does have an effect in Utah's favor.

This is my ideal off season-

1. Get the number 3 pick and draft D-Will. Wouldn't that be ironic to get another D Will at number 3.
2. Assume we don't make the playoffs, trade the lottery pick for future picks
3. Sign Afflalo to MLE or give Young or Thorton a similar contract, but less money
4. Trade Okur for anything to free up money
5. Re sign Watson for 1 year deal and re sign AK 3 years 18 mil, let Miles go
6. Sign DeAndre Jordan to a 4 year deal 20-25 mil

Harris, Watson, AK
Afflalo, Bell, Hayward
AK, Hayward, D-Will
Big Al, Millsap, Favors,Evans/D-Will
Jordan, Favors,Big Al

I've never been AGAINST Miles, but I have to say, this kid isn't getting any better and his defense seems worse since Sloan left. I think it's time to let the guy go unless he pulls something out of his hat these last bunch of games.

This is my ideal off season-

1. Get the number 3 pick and draft D-Will. Wouldn't that be ironic to get another D Will at number 3.
2. Assume we don't make the playoffs, trade the lottery pick for future picks
3. Sign Afflalo to MLE or give Young or Thorton a similar contract, but less money
4. Trade Okur for anything to free up money
5. Re sign Watson for 1 year deal and re sign AK 3 years 18 mil, let Miles go
6. Sign DeAndre Jordan to a 4 year deal 20-25 mil

Harris, Watson, AK
Afflalo, Bell, Hayward
AK, Hayward, D-Will
Big Al, Millsap, Favors,Evans/D-Will
Jordan, Favors,Big Al

There's no way the Jazz trade Okur for nothing. You'd have to include a first round pick to unload Okur, which would be short sighted, in my opinion, to get rid of a draft pick to save one year of Okur.

Was looking at this scenario today. Draft barnes with the 6th pick the grab fredette withnthe 12th pick. Do a trade for Flynn maybe swapping picks in 2012. Pick up the option on miles, resign elson, and bringmover tomic.

Offer a deal similar to Matthews for afflalo.

Harris, Flynn, fredette
Afflalo, miles
Hayward, barnes
Millsap, favors, Evans
Jefferson, okur, tomic, elson

I think that is a pretty darn good team a little weak at sf but I think barnes is the real deal. fredette gets a chance to develope and if he does we dump flynn. Tomic can learn.