What's new

Early look at FA in 2011

This is my ideal off season-

1. Get the number 3 pick and draft D-Will. Wouldn't that be ironic to get another D Will at number 3.
2. Assume we don't make the playoffs, trade the lottery pick for future picks
3. Sign Afflalo to MLE or give Young or Thorton a similar contract, but less money
4. Trade Okur for anything to free up money
5. Re sign Watson for 1 year deal and re sign AK 3 years 18 mil, let Miles go
6. Sign DeAndre Jordan to a 4 year deal 20-25 mil

Harris, Watson, AK
Afflalo, Bell, Hayward
AK, Hayward, D-Will
Big Al, Millsap, Favors,Evans/D-Will
Jordan, Favors,Big Al

That team still is'nt a contender by any stretch of imagination. Just a collection of some nice players. Better than the current team. But that doesnt say much, does it?
Where are the big stars? who is the go to player?

And Fragilenko is still on this team as the starter? FAIL

Harris and Big Al are good but not great players. The Jazz need an all-star or someone close to that at one of the wing positions in order to be a contender. Until they get that they will just barely make the playoffs and get bounced out in the first round. Which they were already doing, anyways

I just want the Jazz to finally get a legit, bonafide SG who is an actual threat to score! Don't care where he comes from, FA, Draft, doesn't matter, just get whoever it is signed up and fitted for a Jazz uniform. Sooner rather than later would be nice too...

The Jazz need more than anything else a stud shooting guard. I don't think Hayward will ever play this role; I see him being kind of a multi-purpose player who contributes in numerous areas (kind of like AK47), but we need something more than him. CJ is too hopelessly inconsistent and mentally weak. The Jazz need to do what it takes to land an elite SG, even if it means moving Milsap (with AJ and Favors, Milsap is a redundant 'asset'). An elite SG teamed with Harris, Favors, AJ, Hayward, etc. can put the Jazz back on track.

I'll guarantee you right now that Afflalo and Jordan will not play for the Jazz.

good grief, dude.

I've heard Denver is willing to let K-Mart and Chandler go in order to retain Afflalo.

I think Jazz fans should be prepared to be very underwhealmed this offseason.

I think you'll see the following:

AK offered a modest 3 year deal; possibly 4 with an option.

CJ's option will be picked up unfortunately.

Watson will be offered a minimum deal. If he goes elsewhere Jazz will probably be dumb enough to offer it to Price

Otherwise, Price, Fes & Elson are gone.

Jazz will probably carry only 13 players. The rest of the open roster spots will be filled by rookies/FA Rookies

The Jazz should concede the rest of the season (I believe the second 1st round pick is worth more than a sweep by the spurs) and I see this offseason going two ways – I will break it up in two posts:

Young Front Court
1. Nets pick - if we are lucky Kanter or more likely Motiejunas or Valanciunas
2. Jazz pick - Jordan Hamilton or Chris Singleton (two guys who can play D and shoot the 3)

We would now have a very young front court of Favors, Big Al, and Kanter and have the freedom to use Millsap in a trade to get a quality SG. I would love to get Mayo or Harden or (insert your favorite SG).

The next question is “Chucker” J Miles (who is a major part of winning 18-22 games a year) worth keeping for $3.7m for one more year? I say yes and only play him if he makes his first 2 shots.

I agree with Favors Flave, we would then sign Watson to a 1 year deal and AK to 3yrs $18m.

PG – Harris, Watson
SG – Mayo, Hayward, Bell
SF – AK, Hamilton, Miles (only if he is on)
PF – Favors, Big AL, Evans
C – Big AL, Kanter, Okur

The other way the Jazz could go is:
1. Nets Pick – Terrence Jones
2. Jazz Pick – You have some options here in Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Jimmer or my favorite and if he comes out William Buford
With the Jazz Pick you are drafting for a solid role player who can be a spark off the bench, I think any of these guys can do that.

You let CJ go and go after James Jones and his 3pt shot, sign AK to the 3yr $18m, Watson's 1yr deal and Pick up a 3rd PG.

PG – Harris, Watson
SG – Bufford, Hayward, Bell
SF – AK, Jones, Jones
PF – Favors, Millsap, AK
C – Big AL, Favors, Okur

I don't think the Jazz will do a thing until the new CBA is signed. I will be surprised if the new CBA is signed before the start of next season. It could be a free-for-all signing period when the CBA is signed.

I don't think the Jazz will do a thing until the new CBA is signed. I will be surprised if the new CBA is signed before the start of next season. It could be a free-for-all signing period when the CBA is signed.

I agree with you, but for this reason it may be smart to play in the FA market in the summer. We could bring in a few really nice players who are hoping to get more than the might under the new CBA but still for a decent price.

I've heard Denver is willing to let K-Mart and Chandler go in order to retain Afflalo.

I think Jazz fans should be prepared to be very underwhealmed this offseason.

I think you'll see the following:

AK offered a modest 3 year deal; possibly 4 with an option.

CJ's option will be picked up unfortunately.

Watson will be offered a minimum deal. If he goes elsewhere Jazz will probably be dumb enough to offer it to Price

Otherwise, Price, Fes & Elson are gone.

Jazz will probably carry only 13 players. The rest of the open roster spots will be filled by rookies/FA Rookies

Yeah, if we re-sign AK and get two lottery picks we will not have much money for anything else. However, if we did pick a big man with the first pick gotta believe we would try to trade Millsap. Now if by miracle Okur comes back healthy this year it might be possible to trade him in the offseason.

Throw a Portland offer sheet at Afflalo. If that doesn't work go after Przybilla. Let Fesenko walk, re-sign Collins as head-cheerleader and flop guru. Then dust hands and move on.

I agree with you, but for this reason it may be smart to play in the FA market in the summer. We could bring in a few really nice players who are hoping to get more than the might under the new CBA but still for a decent price.

I'm close to positive there can't be free agency until a new CBA is reached. The current CBA expires right when free agency would begin because it's the framework through which all negotiation is done.

Throw a Portland offer sheet at Afflalo. If that doesn't work go after Przybilla. Let Fesenko walk, re-sign Collins as head-cheerleader and flop guru. Then dust hands and move on.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO After waiting so many years to get rid of Collins, and you would even suggest bring him back! Sloan Jr. might start him at center like Sloan did once. lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO After waiting so many years to get rid of Collins, and you would even suggest bring him back! Sloan Jr. might start him at center like Sloan did once. lol

You took that seriously?