What's new

Eat the rich

Can't blame wealthy people taking advantage of programs meant to help poor people get an education?

Keep in mind many of these programs are first come first serve. Once the funds are taken that's it.

It's ****ing gross.

Can't blame wealthy people taking advantage of programs meant to help poor people get an education?

Keep in mind many of these programs are first come first serve. Once the funds are taken that's it.

It's ****ing gross.
I may disagree with a lot of things you believe, but I wholeheartedly agree that this is a gross abuse of the system.

Loopholes need to be closed and people who continue to abuse the system need to be punished.

Maybe we should drug test rich people prior to their children entering college or prior to receiving tax cuts/subsidies?

Or they could practice some responsibility and not put the taxpayers on the hook for their child's education, when they have the means to pay for it themselves.

Taxpayers foot much of the education bill already, what with free public schools and discounted tuition at state schools for state residents. Few, aside from hard core libertarians, argue that individuals (and their families) should bear the full financial cost of their education.

Maybe we should drug test rich people prior to their children entering college or prior to receiving tax cuts/subsidies?

No, only drug test poor people, cause everyone (aka conservatives) know that poor people are shifty, lazy cheaters who routinely game public assistance, at the same time, everyone (aka conservatives) knows that rich people embody all the positive human virtues, never game the system, and thus should be exempted from any of the same types of invasive public accountability hoops to which poor people should be subjected.

Taxpayers foot much of the education bill already, what with free public schools and discounted tuition at state schools for state residents. Few, aside from hard core libertarians, argue that individuals (and their families) should bear the full financial cost of their education.
Of course, and that's fine. My point has to do with them using programs above and beyond those available to everyone by misrepresenting their wealth, at the expense of the poor.

Everyone finds a way to keep their money. Rich people just have more means to do so. I think it's a low-character and low-integrity thing to do in and of itself.

Title of the thread reminds me of something that happened years ago at work. One of the fellas I worked with was filthy rich, young punk walked into the waiting room with an 'Eat the Rich' jacket on, quick as a flash one of the lads said, "Pistol, watch out, that kid wants to eat you" Que a chorus of laughter.

It's ****ing gross.

This is ****ed up. As a guy that worked his *** off to get an academic scholarship and lived at home during school, worked part time to cover books and fees (only tuition was covered) and went to the state school instead of more prestigious universities i qualified to attend... this is gross. My parents were firmly middle class... no money to help with tuition but made enough I couldn’t get any financial aid.

Feels like this should be something that should be prosecuted (or threaten prosecution and make these parents come forward and repay the grants if they want to escape prosecution). I get taking what the system makes available to you but this is slimy AF... they don’t legitimately qualify for what the system has available.

This is ****ed up. As a guy that worked his *** off to get an academic scholarship and lived at home during school, worked part time to cover books and fees (only tuition was covered) and went to the state school instead of more prestigious universities i qualified to attend... this is gross. My parents were firmly middle class... no money to help with tuition but made enough I couldn’t get any financial aid.

Feels like this should be something that should be prosecuted (or threaten prosecution and make these parents come forward and repay the grants if they want to escape prosecution). I get taking what the system makes available to you but this is slimy AF... they don’t legitimately qualify for what the system has available.
Oh absolutely. The problem of course is that this is currently legal.

Oh absolutely. The problem of course is that this is currently legal.

Yes which is why you make the change and threaten those that circumvented the rules to steal money... threaten jail time and fines... make some come forward and tell in themselves. IRS did this with foreign bank accounts and it seemed to work well.

It likely isn’t a real option... just spitballing. It feels like you could figure something out to retroactively punish them for shady behavior. There are lots of questions on those applications... threaten to dig deeper and find something they misrepresented...

This is why poorly constructed rules need to be addressed as quickly as possible. Once loopholes are discovered, they are exploited until the rules are changed.

Both sides of the political spectrum try to game the system. Once it’s found, it needs to be stopped and then severely punished.

It's ****ing gross.

How do you think they get ahead? Manipulate the system, and then tell you to hate the game.