What's new

Enes Kanter still unsigned

Objectively false.

Teams that have won a title being ranked 10th or worse on offense (since the NBA/ABA merger):

'10 Lakers (11th)
'08 Celtics (10th)
'04 Pistons (18th)
'99 Spurs (11th)
'94 Rockets (15th)
'90 Pistons (11th)
'79 Sonics (14th)
'78 Bullets (10th)

Teams that have won a title being ranked 10th or worse on defense (since the NBA/ABA merger):

'01 Lakers (21st)
'95 Rockets (12th)
'82 Lakers (10th)

Since 2003:

Average offensive ranking of NBA champion: 8.08
Average defensive ranking of NBA champion: 4.75

Draw your own conclusions.

In 2014:

Heat #2 offense, #11 defense
Spurs #6 offense, #4 defense

The Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers were consistently the two best defensive teams in the NBA throughout the playoffs. In addition to having LeBron James, the reason the Cavs were able to keep that series against GSW so competitive even with their injuries was because they played better defense on the Warriors than anybody else. Even so, the Warriors probably don't win that series without playing better defense on Cleveland than anybody else had thus far as well - Iguodala in particular played fantastic defense on LeBron.

And that's the rub. Even if they are able to hide Kanter on Defense at times throughout the season, they won't be able to in the playoffs. That is what makes me so excited about the way the Jazz are building. It frustrated me to see other teams able to defensively adjust against the Williams/Boozer Jazz and eventually nullify their offense as the playoffs wore on. The Jazz are generally going to nullify your offense by default. Give them 6 or 7 games to figure you out, it will be really tough. With Kanter, you can just attack him on the pick and roll all day as long as he is in the game. He is never going to adjust. You can only remove him from the game which is a heck of a thing to do to the guy you are paying 17 million a year to.

Objectively false.

Teams that have won a title being ranked 10th or worse on offense (since the NBA/ABA merger):

'10 Lakers (11th)
'08 Celtics (10th)
'04 Pistons (18th)
'99 Spurs (11th)
'94 Rockets (15th)
'90 Pistons (11th)
'79 Sonics (14th)
'78 Bullets (10th)

Teams that have won a title being ranked 10th or worse on defense (since the NBA/ABA merger):

'01 Lakers (21st)
'95 Rockets (12th)
'82 Lakers (10th)

Since 2003:

Average offensive ranking of NBA champion: 8.08
Average defensive ranking of NBA champion: 4.75

Draw your own conclusions.

In 2014:

Heat #2 offense, #11 defense
Spurs #6 offense, #4 defense

The Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers were consistently the two best defensive teams in the NBA throughout the playoffs. In addition to having LeBron James, the reason the Cavs were able to keep that series against GSW so competitive even with their injuries was because they played better defense on the Warriors than anybody else. Even so, the Warriors probably don't win that series without playing better defense on Cleveland than anybody else had thus far as well - Iguodala in particular played fantastic defense on LeBron.

Thanks for posting this. I'm so tired of hearing the idea that defense doesn't win championships. It's been proven time and time again that you need a good defense to even get far in the playoffs.

It's gunna be awesome in two years when their cornerstone players are Kanter, Waiters, and Payne.

To be honest, I think OKC is one of the best possible fits for Kanter, I hope it pans out well enough for him and the team, let's hope we get many nice playoffs series against them in the future !

Actually Kanter is a great fit for OKC, because now the team can always have 2 scorers on the floor, both of whom must be double-teamed.
Kanter's signing means some load off KD's and RW's shoulders too, so they will both be entering the playoffs relatively fresh this year. How about 28, 34 and 34 min.s respectively during the season?

Barring 2 or more injuries like last season, they will be extremely dangerous for whomever they play. That trio will find ways to score against anybody. And I'm not even mentioning Ibaka.

You people realize that Kanter is going to push them over the LT and he'll end up costing them an additional $25 million this year, right?

You do realize that they're the same franchise which traded Harden to avoid the LT, right?

So they traded Harden to avoid the LT and now just spent close to $100 million for Kanter.

And this is the franchise you want to emulate? The OKC Thunder officially signed their death certificate today. They began the process when they traded away a franchise player for peanuts. Now they're trying to make someone with peanuts for brains into a franchise player.

Sorry. But I agree with DL. sometimes, the best deals are the ones you don't make.
Totally different scenario with Harden. It's a one year tax situation with Kanter due to the cap jumping in 2016. That wasn't the case when Harden was traded; the cap wasn't going up $20M. And the tax hit isn't that bad. The threshold is around $85M. IINM, OKC can make a couple of moves and be just over.

Totally different scenario with Harden. It's a one year tax situation with Kanter due to the cap jumping in 2016. That wasn't the case when Harden was traded; the cap wasn't going up $20M. And the tax hit isn't that bad. The threshold is around $85M. IINM, OKC can make a couple of moves and be just over.

If they don't trade him or lose any of their key pieces they will be in tax the year after the jump and then again the year after. They need to give ~30M to Durant, about ~30 to Westbrook, 20-30?M to Ibaka... They are luxury tax bound unless they lose some of those.

No biggie, they'll just have to let Westbrook walk so that they can afford Kanter.

Actually Kanter is a great fit for OKC, because now the team can always have 2 scorers on the floor, both of whom must be double-teamed.
Kanter's signing means some load off KD's and RW's shoulders too, so they will both be entering the playoffs relatively fresh this year. How about 28, 34 and 34 min.s respectively during the season?

Barring 2 or more injuries like last season, they will be extremely dangerous for whomever they play. That trio will find ways to score against anybody. And I'm not even mentioning Ibaka.
On offense it sounds great. But what about on defense? Is Ibaka going to guard both big guys the entire game? What if the other team has a stretch 4? Who guards him. Teams are going to PNR the Thunder to death with Kanter playing. It's a great recipe to get Ibaka in foul trouble trying to cover for Kanter then they have nobody playing defense at the 4 or 5.
This contract makes that mid-season trade everybody hated a win for the Jazz.

If they don't trade him or lose any of their key pieces they will be in tax the year after the jump and then again the year after. They need to give ~30M to Durant, about ~30 to Westbrook, 20-30?M to Ibaka... They are luxury tax bound unless they lose some of those.
i hadn't figured in Ibaka. Maybe they let him go with a promising McGary coming on. Or maybe Durant and Westbrook only take $25M each to keep the team together.

According to "The Score" app, Kanter's "career defensive box plus-minus is -1.9, the worst figure since 1973-74."

Yikes, enjoy him OKC fans. Fools gold.

i hadn't figured in Ibaka. Maybe they let him go with a promising McGary coming on. Or maybe Durant and Westbrook only take $25M each to keep the team together.

Durrant and Westbrook are going to take a haircut in order to pay for Kanter? That seems likely. . . Seriously, there is no universe where paying Kanter 17 mill + a 15% trade kicker will not bite you in the butt, growing cap or no. Kanter's work ethic wasn't supreme before. Now that you have maxed him, does anyone think he will bust his butt further? Why? He "got a raise regardless. . ." It is more likely he is sitting in his living room right now watching WrestleMania reruns eating two dozen donuts. I hope the wheels completely fall off of that team.

According to "The Score" app, Kanter's "career defensive box plus-minus is -1.9, the worst figure since 1973-74."

Yikes, enjoy him OKC fans. Fools gold.

All the Thunder fans on RealGM seem to think that Ibaka is the magical cure all for Kanter.

They also think Ibaka is a better player than Gobert is.

OKC traded Perry Jones and a 2nd round pick to Boston for a 2nd round pick.

Overall saves OKC 7 million dollars.

Looks like they are unloading some players to save some money. Good trade for them. Jones never seemed like much.

Probably a good trade for Boston too since they gave up nothing but a protected 2nd round pick and Jones is at least considered somewhat talented. They get 2 more average assets to add to their collection of average assets.

All the Thunder fans on RealGM seem to think that Ibaka is the magical cure all for Kanter.

They also think Ibaka is a better player than Gobert is.
It won't be popular to say. But Ibaka probably is a better overall player than Gobert is, at least right now. I would not however even consider a trade of Gobert for Ibaka. Because I don't think Ibaka will be better for much longer.

It won't be popular to say. But Ibaka probably is a better overall player than Gobert is, at least right now. I would not however even consider a trade of Gobert for Ibaka. Because I don't think Ibaka will be better for much longer.

No way. Gobert is such a force defensively that it forced teams to change their entire game plan to account for his presence. His insertion into the starting line up turned the Jazz from a subpar defensive team, into a historically elite one. There is just no comparison.

No way. Gobert is such a force defensively that it forced teams to change their entire game plan to account for his presence. His insertion into the starting line up turned the Jazz from a subpar defensive team, into a historically elite one. There is just no comparison.
But he provides very little on the other end. Ibaka does have better offense and is still an elite defender. Like I said I'd not trade them. But as of right now Ibaka is probably still better overall.

Fascinating thread. Not one, but two teams felt Kanter was a max player. Young too, drafted 3d overall, averaging 20 and 10 already. We got late first rounder for him in a terrible trade for the franchise. Yet people are still trying to start threads that he no one wants him, because he stinks.

Well, two teams offered max. Time to shut up and admit how valuable he actually is, and how pathetically our FO failed to get enough for his value.

Fascinating thread. Not one, but two teams felt Kanter was a max player. Young too, drafted 3d overall, averaging 20 and 10 already. We got late first rounder for him in a terrible trade for the franchise. Yet people are still trying to start threads that he no one wants him, because he stinks.

Well, two teams offered max. Time to shut up and admit how valuable he actually is, and how pathetically our FO failed to get enough for his value.

lol