What's new

ESPN Confirming: BYU/LSU being moved to NOLA

Cool. I hope they throw BYU some extra cash or something for basically making it a home game for LSU.

The bigger issue is not playing in Texas/Superdome(recruiting). Louisiana is still a damn good place to get some exposure.

Trust me, it's basically a home game in Houston too.

This. When it comes to LSU fans and alumni, Houston is like Baton Rouge West. So I'm not sure that the crowd makeup will be all that different.

ETA: well, definitely fewer BYU fans now lol. Hope everyone enjoys Southern Decadence Weekend in the Quarter! ;)

Ya but there will be fewer byu fans at the game due to the change.

Far fewer. Between the additional hassle and expense for those flying in from out of town, and the fewer number of BYU alum/LDS members in Louisiana as compared to Texas, I doubt that even 5% of the fans present will be cheering for BYU. In Houston, I'd expect it to be more like 25-30% of the fans.

Rooting for BYU but think they'll get smashed.

I know everyone else is making excuses as to why the offense sucked last week, but I just think the scheme is bad. I agree with your post, and we might not even score on them. I think the defense can keep LSU to around 24 points or so, but there's no way the offense scores that. I'm guessing the final score ends up being like 24-3 or something like that.

I know everyone else is making excuses as to why the offense sucked last week, but I just think the scheme is bad. I agree with your post, and we might not even score on them. I think the defense can keep LSU to around 24 points or so, but there's no way the offense scores that. I'm guessing the final score ends up being like 24-3 or something like that.

I didn't watch much of the game but I was very unimpressed with BYU overall from what I saw. Maybe it was because it was Portland St and they just didn't take em seriously, hopefully they can get up for LSU.

A few of my BYU buddies have told me that Detmer's scheme is too complicated and that the players, especially Mangum, are still having trouble adapting. I thought to myself "Isn't this the same guy that was just scoring 50ppg with High School players"? Now I won't pretend to know how Detmer's BYU offense compares with his HS offense and I realize those are two different worlds but I can't imagine Ty would be stubborn enough to bring in some sort of super complex offense to BYU and not adjust to his players.

I look at your WR's, and RB's and I just don't see a lot of speed, or game changing talent. Sitake has spent most of his coaching career under Whittingham and Kyle is the poster child for maximizing his defensive talent and struggling to catch up offensively. I think you guys are at the beginning of a similar process. You'll love watching your Defense play, your offense will make you pull your hair out, and you'll spend years asking "How can we be so good on defense and struggle so bad offensively"??

On the bright side, it looks like Whittingham may have finally figured it out and it only took a decade. If Kilane mirrors his former HC, you guys will be scoring points by 2028.

A few of my BYU buddies have told me that Detmer's scheme is too complicated and that the players, especially Mangum, are still having trouble adapting. I thought to myself "Isn't this the same guy that was just scoring 50ppg with High School players"? Now I won't pretend to know how Detmer's BYU offense compares with his HS offense and I realize those are two different worlds but I can't imagine Ty would be stubborn enough to bring in some sort of super complex offense to BYU and not adjust to his players.

I look at your WR's, and RB's and I just don't see a lot of speed, or game changing talent. Sitake has spent most of his coaching career under Whittingham and Kyle is the poster child for maximizing his defensive talent and struggling to catch up offensively. I think you guys are at the beginning of a similar process. You'll love watching your Defense play, your offense will make you pull your hair out, and you'll spend years asking "How can we be so good on defense and struggle so bad offensively"??

On the bright side, it looks like Whittingham may have finally figured it out and it only took a decade. If Kilane mirrors his former HC, you guys will be scoring points by 2028.

It might be too soon to assume Whit has the offense thing figured out because of a new OC. Signs may point in the positive direction, but this new OC has not even called one game with this team yet. I've seen too many OC changes to assume anything is figured out yet. I do see the parallel you are presenting though.

Fair post. Hopefully it doesn't take that long.

It might be too soon to assume Whit has the offense thing figured out because of a new OC. Signs may point in the positive direction, but this new OC has not even called one game with this team yet. I've seen too many OC changes to assume anything is figured out yet. I do see the parallel you are presenting though.

I'm actually more excited about the talent. Huntley was a huge get(2016) for the Utes and Carrington should be an easy target for him. It has taken a while after moving up to the Pac12 but the Utes seem to be finally bringing in the skilled talent they need to take the next step.

As far as OC I do think that there is something different this time. Not so much in who he is but in who Kyle is. Maybe it's wishful thinking but there does seem to be a newfound humility coming from Whit regarding that side of the ball.

I don't sense that Sitake has quite the same degree of stubbornness that Whit did but I suspect he will have similar issues in recruiting offensive skill positions. Perhaps even to a greater degree with BYU being both Independent and a Mormon school.

I'm actually more excited about the talent. Huntley was a huge get(2016) for the Utes and Carrington should be an easy target for him. It has taken a while after moving up to the Pac12 but the Utes seem to be finally bringing in the skilled talent they need to take the next step.

As far as OC I do think that there is something different this time. Not so much in who he is but in who Kyle is. Maybe it's wishful thinking but there does seem to be a newfound humility coming from Whit regarding that side of the ball.

I don't sense that Sitake has quite the same degree of stubbornness that Whit did but I suspect he will have similar issues in recruiting offensive skill positions. Perhaps even to a greater degree with BYU being both Independent and a Mormon school.

That's a great point and it's something I'm interested to see play out. Sitake was the right hire for BYU and he and his staff are above average recruiters, but can they get above average play makers at the skill positions? Obviously, BYU has a different set of circumstances. It's one thing to get the 4 star white or Poly offensive and defensive lineman- we know BYU can do that. Can they start getting the non-LDS, 4 star WR's of the world on a consistent basis? Oh, and you guys need to fire Ben Cahoon. I don't wanna see a guy be unemployed but how he's managed to get hired twice at BYU is beyond me.

34-10 LSU
Not bad.
One thing helping byu is that I'm hearing that somewhere between 4-7 guys will be suspended by lsu for this game. Plus their best defensive player is out as well.

Probably won't matter too much though since all their backups are nfl type guys too.