What's new

ESPN Tip Off Power Rankings

I wish they had us lower, like 7th or something. Then the utter shock when we go 18-2 in our first 20 would be even more sweet.

It's very fair... I like being the under-dog not the expected-dog.
That is exactly why I wish they had ranked us lower. Yes 5 is fair. 7 or 8 would be more fun when we start rolling over people and they have to pop us into the top 3.

Now that the season is about to start I'm paying more attention to the schedule. The Oct-Nov schedule is a lot like last years Dec early Jan schedule, Start the season with 7 of the first 9 games on the road and lots of tough home games, other than DAL all teams they have at home are expected to and/are playoff teams. Some of those home games being GSW, HOU, SAS, TOR, BOS, IND, LAL, so if you were to look at the schedule and think worst case scenario for the first 20 games the Jazz could be at or a game under .500 and be like, well at least they only lost to playoff teams and beat a couple of them at home and beat all the non playoff teams. Heck going to 28 games into the season is still around .500 worst case scenario.

Not that I think they will but I do think if they win 14 out of the first 20 that will be VERY good and wouldn't be upset if they won 12 out of their first 20.

Last edited:
That is exactly why I wish they had ranked us lower. Yes 5 is fair. 7 or 8 would be more fun when we start rolling over people and they have to pop us into the top 3.

The ESPN commenter lady during the Lakers-Warriors game spoke well of them and said she could see them as a 5 seed. So there's some ammo for ya.

Or not when Lakers are gonna be good and Utah is fighting for a spot in the ring with OKC and HOU. (Today I have Utah 4th, OKC 5)

Now that the season is about to start I'm paying more attention to the schedule. The Oct-Nov schedule is a lot like last years Dec early Jan schedule, Start the season with 7 of the first 9 games on the road and lots of tough home games, other than DAL all teams they have at home are expected to and/are playoff teams. Some of those home games being GSW, HOU, SAS, TOR, BOS, IND, LAL, so if you were to look at the schedule and think worst case scenario for the first 20 games the Jazz could be at or a game under .500 and be like, well at least they only lost to playoff teams and beat a couple of them at home and beat all the non playoff teams. Heck going to 28 games into the season is still around .500 worst case scenario.

Not that I think they will but I do think if they win 14 out of the first 20 that will be VERY good and wouldn't be upset if they won 12 out of their first 20.
Yeah, Jazz gotta start humming soon. Ricky better get right. If they can use their experience with one another to maximum effect and charge out of the gate thru this early schedule, then that portends good things for their seeding next Spring.

I expect a few bumps, though, because our offense just goes so cold sometimes.

Huh.

According to their power rankings, Utah is 5th, yet 6th place Philadelphia and 7th place OKC have higher "best case"/"worst case" projections. Go figure.

We definitely need to prepare ourselves not to panic if Utah is hovering around .500 through December.

Our December schedule is rough. Start the month off with a four game stretch that includes SA twice along with the Rockets and Thunder, then the second half of December we get the Rockets again, OKC again, Portland twice, and the Warriors along with the 76ers.

We definitely need to prepare ourselves not to panic if Utah is hovering around .500 through December.

Our December schedule is rough. Start the month off with a four game stretch that includes SA twice along with the Rockets and Thunder, then the second half of December we get the Rockets again, OKC again, Portland twice, and the Warriors along with the 76ers.
I think we should start another thread about predicting how many JFC meltdowns occur through December... even though almost everyone here is aware of the tough start to the year.

I think we should start another thread about predicting how many JFC meltdowns occur through December... even though almost everyone here is aware of the tough start to the year.
I will almost certainly forget my own advice when we inevitably lose a game to like the Knicks or Atlanta lol

I will almost certainly forget my own advice when we inevitably lose a game to like the Knicks or Atlanta lol
Those kind of losses, if they happen, may ultimately determine if the Jazz get home court, or are in the 5-8 range. The WC is just so tough. This could be another year when all 8, or at least 6 or 7, of the playoff teams win at least 50 games.

Those kind of losses, if they happen, may ultimately determine if the Jazz get home court, or are in the 5-8 range. The WC is just so tough. This could be another year when all 8, or at least 6 or 7, of the playoff teams win at least 50 games.
For sure, but those kinds of losses are almost certainly going be balanced out by something like an unexpected road win against a top tier team. Every team loses games they aren't expected to, gotta keep things in perspective.

I could not be a GM... I live and die too much by individual games. I would likely have traded everyone by now, we'd have a lot of 1st rounders and really bad contracts.

I'm going to try and be better this year and just enjoy the team. Gonna be a fun year.

This.
I have been telling some of my more causal jazz fans friends that if the jazz are only playing 500 ball at the end of december not to worry. We will go on another big run to finish off the season.

I remember all the talk of tanking last year. Hopefully we dont see that kind of talk again this year.