What's new

Euro expansion?

Will the Nba ever have a Euro division?

• Total voters
I would be for a partial integration. For instance having the Jazz go to Lithuania and play a team with a rabidly backed fan base would be a lot more interesting than the Bobcats with 10 people in attendance, watching Al Jefferson throw up push shots. Due to the distance I don't think a full integration is possible, or anything playoff related, but having 5 or 6 games each year is explorable.

Europe would have it's own league, and only come here once or twice per season.
The same for us. We'd meet them in the Finals for a true World Title.

Europe would have it's own league, and only come here once or twice per season.
The same for us. We'd meet them in the Finals for a true World Title.

Wouldn't work...
The talent would land in the USA and no increase of overall talent wouldn't make a European League profitable.

Wouldn't work...
The talent would land in the USA and no increase of overall talent wouldn't make a European League profitable.

It's not talent that matters it's the hype, the marketing, the experience of the NBA Playoffs.

Biggest drawbacks are the amount of travel time. That would be really hard on a time to travel by plane for 12 hours then have a game the next day.

Also this would further dilute the talent pool.

How would tax rates work? How would players feel about the possibility of being traded from, say, L.A. to Spain?

How would tax rates work? How would players feel about the possibility of being traded from, say, L.A. to Spain?

Very valid questions.

1. How do tax rates work for the Raptors?
2. They'd still be playing in the NBA, so I'd hope they wouldn't mind all that much. I think most NBA players have more than one "home" anyway.

Very valid questions.

2. They'd still be playing in the NBA, so I'd hope they wouldn't mind all that much. I think most NBA players have more than one "home" anyway.

Made me think about how much weight they'd gain from all the killer European food they'd have eaten.

Very valid questions.

My understanding is that a player traded to the Raptors would have to pay Canadian taxes and there were a few players (my vague recollection of questionable accuracy) that had it in their contracts that they could not be traded there, for that reason.

I think tax rates may be the single largest hurdle.

Would they be taxed in that country and in the Us?(maybe a stupid ? but I srsly have no clue when it comes to taxes)

I think tax rates may be the single largest hurdle.

Would they be taxed in that country and in the Us?(maybe a stupid ? but I srsly have no clue when it comes to taxes)

The US is one of the only countries that taxes your income even if it's earned outside the country. You do get credit for foreign taxes paid so it's usually not a big issue, but still annoying. European tax rates are very high. In fact, in a few weeks one of the major soccer leagues (Spain I think) is going on strike for a weekend to protest a new tax rate for those making over 1 mm euros, 75% is the rate I think I read.

So yeah that's definitely an issue because those players would have to be paid much higher gross salaries to compensate. The same is true to a lesser extent in the US in states that have high state income tax rates I. E. California, vs those with no state tax at all like Florida.

The US is one of the only countries that taxes your income even if it's earned outside the country. You do get credit for foreign taxes paid so it's usually not a big issue, but still annoying. European tax rates are very high. In fact, in a few weeks one of the major soccer leagues (Spain I think) is going on strike for a weekend to protest a new tax rate for those making over 1 mm euros, 75% is the rate I think I read.

So yeah that's definitely an issue because those players would have to be paid much higher gross salaries to compensate. The same is true to a lesser extent in the US in states that have high state income tax rates I. E. California, vs those with no state tax at all like Florida.

It may still be worth it for the NBA if they think the could get a continent with 1/2 a billion people and money to spend excited about basketball.

I'm not arguing with that and think it's the future of all sports, either expanding the leagues globally, or having a UEFA champions League type system where the top teams from each league play a competition simultaneously with the regular league seasons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm not arguing with that and think it's the future of all sports, either expanding the leagues globally, or having a UEFA champions League type system where the top teams from each league play a competition simultaneously with the regular league seasons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using JazzFanz mobile app

Perhaps some good would come of sports... as travel and sports evolve, and there becomes world wide united leagues the world takes a queue from that. The governments get together and merge for the betterment of the human race.

Oh if only...

Is this a prediction?

Yep. Good timing for it. Hawks are to be sold and are free to leave Atlanta IIRC. Bucks will leave Milwaukee. I don't think Milwaukee will get the stadium done in time. If they don't the NBA can buy back the team for 575million which is a bargain. The owners could spend $575 million on the Bucks and turn that into three Euro teams worth more than $3 billion collectively.