What's new

Even though most are not thinking about it right now...

Matthew Thomas Castleton

the Jazz still could potentially finish higher than the 8 seed. It is highly unlikely that we will catch Houston, as they 1) own the tie-breaker over us (they won the season series 3-1), 2) they already have 41 wins (which means that they would have to go 4-4 in their final 8 games), and 3) they have a relative easy schedule remaining (only 3 of their remaining opponents have winning records). However, as unbelievable as it may seem, we still can catch Golden State. How might one ask? Simple. We would probably need to win all of our remaining games (46-36 final record) while the Warriors would have to go 4-4 in their final 8 games. This is actually quite likely, as four of their remaining games are 1) against us (in Oakland), 2) at the Lakers, and home versus 3) the Spurs, and 4) the Thunder. We absolutely would have to win in Oakland on Sunday and probably not lose any of our remaining games to make it happen. If Golden State were to go 4-4 in their last 8 games (one of them being a loss to us), both they and us would finish with identical 46-36 records. The first tie-breaker would be the season series, which is why it would be essential to win in Oakland on Sunday so we could tie the season series at 2-2. As we are not in the same division, the next tie-breaker would be conference record. If we win our remaining 7 games, we would have a 29-23 conference record. If they go 4-4, their conference record would be 27-25, which would give us the tie-breaker and the higher seed.

we're 1-1 vs. them, if we win in oakland, we win season series

You are totally right. I misspoke. We have only played them twice (both in SLC). I thought that we had already played and lost to them in once Oakland. My mistake. Either way, we still need to beat them on Sunday. If we lose, we lose the season series and the tie-breaker potential.

Not really a huge difference in the 7/8 seed this year. Both have to face legitimate championship contenders in the 1st round.

Not really a huge difference in the 7/8 seed this year. Both have to face legitimate championship contenders in the 1st round.

Actually, I would say that there is a big difference between that Jazz matching up against San Antonio versus OKC. We simply cannot win in San Antonio (especially in the Playoffs), which means we would have ZERO chance at beating the Spurs. However, I think that the Jazz match up very well against the Thunder, and we would find a way to eventually slow Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook enough over a seven-game series to possibly win in Oklahoma City. If we were to win all of our remaining games, we would also tie the season series against the Thunder at 2-2, which could possibly give us some confidence against them. Going back to the whole tie-breaker thing, I realized that it is still possible for the Warriors to miss the Playoffs all together. If the Lakers win out (46-36), they would also win the season series over the Warriors 3-1 and pass them in the standings if GS ends up at 46-36. In this scenario, Houston would be 6th, we would be 7th, and the Lakers would be 8th. That would hopefully match the Lakers up against the Spurs in the 1st round, which has upset written all over it. Also of note, if we beat Denver on Wednesday and Memphis wins in Portland, the Nuggets would drop from 3rd in the West to 5th and the Grizzlies would move from 5th in the West to 3rd. A lot of movement could potentially happen on Wednesday.

Last edited:
With Ginobili's injury and OKC's much easier remaining schedule, I think OKC will finish with the 1st seed. They'd have to win a home game coming up against San Antonio to get the tiebreaker on them, but I think they will.

However, I think that the Jazz match up very well against the Thunder, and we would find a way to eventually slow Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook enough over a seven-game series to possibly win in Oklahoma City.
I love your enthusiasm, but I really can't see Ty Corbin being able to make adjustments on the fly and understanding (and taking advantage of) mismatches to the point where we would even be remotely competitive with a championship caliber opponent.

I love your enthusiasm, but I really can't see Ty Corbin being able to make adjustments on the fly and understanding (and taking advantage of) mismatches to the point where we would even be remotely competitive with a championship caliber opponent.

I think coaching matters a lot more in the playoffs, so I would tend to agree with this.

Good solid points. having said that...GO JAZZ!!!!

When many of your scenarios involve teams "winning the rest of their games" in order for something to come to pass, then you've also answered why "nobody seems to be talking about it."