What's new

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. The only games that matter are still a long way off.

fallenchicken

First check Rudy's twitter feed: he says they'll be fine and I trust him more than anyone.

I'm seeing a lot of fire quin threads, and surprisingly--a lot of Trade Mitchell stuff. That's crazy to me. You might like Gobert better. He might be more consistent in the regular season, might even be more important. But in the post season, we can only go as far as Mitchell can take us. if you don't have an offensive star than you can't win. And if you don't believe he can take us very far--think hard about the last couple decades. Mitchell is the best chance we'd had in a very long time.

So take a breath.

The Jazz played horrible in Indiana and Detroit, no doubt about it. This team has some serious concerns, weaknesses. No doubt about it. But the fanbase, here and on twitter and everywhere, is having a total meltdown. If our fans were running things, they'd blow up the team after every loss. The jazz are going to get through their covid rough patch and will put together a win streak and everyone will change their tune. This same meltdown happens every year. Trust me as someone who as been following this team for two decades now, if you are living and dying by every game in the NBA season, no matter what team you're rooting for, you're going to put yourself through a lot of mental anguish.

Frankly, and everyone knows this but pretends otherwise, the nba season plays a lot of games that don't matter. The NBA plays a regular season schedule that is too long. Every team goes through bad play, especially this year, and every team will have games where they shoot like **** and every team will have games where the players don't try hard enough, like last night. And it has nothing to do with the post season. There is no correlation. It's the NBA's dirtiest secret--and probably a reason why long-term viewership of the regular season trends down.

My point is this: whether the jazz can win a championship or not has nothing to do with last night's game. At the end of the season, it won't matter. Just like last year, we dominated the entire season and were far and away the best team in the league... and it didn't matter. We still got merked in the second round. You should not want to suddenly panic trade your star, or fire your coach, because of a sloppy game in Detroit in the dog days before the all star break while your team is going through their covid outbreak. If you really want to blow up the best Jazz team that i am old enough to remember, at least be consistent. Don't be reacting to every single game.

The Jazz have serious issues and i don't know if they could win or not--I think it depends on health, and the way the seeding plays out. Jazz would have to get lucky, just like phoenix and the bucks got lucky last year when the league crumbled around them. Unless there is a super team, and there are no super teams in the league currently, someone gets lucky every year. I think the Jazz probably have a 15% chance. Maybe if they could pull off a small trade, they could get it to 20%--though this would be very hard to do. It's hard to make a trade to get better when you don't have young assets. But still, there's a chance. Maybe you're less optimistic than me, and you think we only have a 10% percent chance. Still, think hard about that ten percent chance. It's the best chance we've had since stockton and malone. Mitchell is under contract for three more years. We don't need to panic trade him because ESPN wants us to. Why not try our luck? Remember, last season Brian Windhorst was on his podcast talking about Giannis forcing his way off the bucks if they under performed in the playoffs last year. That franchise was at its lowest point after losing to Miami in the first round. But then things broke their way and now Giannis is probably a buck for life. Why not give ourselves a chance to get lucky before we go back to being a team that plays hard gritty defense every night, but is stuck in the middle of the pack, with almost no chance to win at all.

People also feel like we are the only team with flaws. They forget that every team has major flaws.

Last years regular season gave the fans too high of expectations for this years regular season. Also last years playoff meltdown gave fans a reason to panic and overreact to every little thing this year.

Things could be worse, sure.

But it's also fairly clear that GSW, PHX and apparently MEM (who just tied our record today and are smoking hot) look like better teams night in and night out.

Our entire defensive strategy is reliant on one guy being there - when he's not, we're a .500 team. That's a recipe for disappointment.

People also feel like we are the only team with flaws. They forget that every team has major flaws.

Last years regular season gave the fans too high of expectations for this years regular season. Also last years playoff meltdown gave fans a reason to panic and overreact to every little thing this year.
Don't forget the year before too. 2 meltdowns in a row. Followed by no effort by the FO to address the obvious flaws that have been there for 3 years now, and we continue to lose games due to those flaws. So i think fans are mostly just not happy with the Flanders approach to this whole thing.

1641959010016.png

I took a deep breathe but it smelled like egg farts…

Your point is well taken… but we’ve done this “relax the thing that we need will be there when it matters most” type of mindset… hasn’t turned out well.

We are on the Bucks path this year, similar to them last year. 2 years ago they were the #1 seed in the NBA and then they had a real embarrassing loss in the playoffs second round. The next year they were pretty meh in the regular season waiting to prove themselves in the playoffs again, and they did. Lets hope we can get lucky and be healthy like them. For comparison they had a 63% win rate in the regular season, we are at 68%. They made a few good moves to improve come playoff time that didnt seem great in the regular season. We made some decent off season moves that people thought we help us in the playoffs and not as much in the regular season. Hopefully we have one more good move at the deadline, but if not I think we have as good of chance as anyone this year of healthy.

We are on the Bucks path this year, similar to them last year. 2 years ago they were the #1 seed in the NBA and then they had a real embarrassing loss in the playoffs second round. The next year they were pretty meh in the regular season waiting to prove themselves in the playoffs again, and they did. Lets hope we can get lucky and be healthy like them. For comparison they had a 63% win rate in the regular season, we are at 68%. They made a few good moves to improve come playoff time that didnt seem great in the regular season. We made some decent off season moves that people thought we help us in the playoffs and not as much in the regular season. Hopefully we have one more good move at the deadline, but if not I think we have as good of chance as anyone this year of healthy.
The Bucks without a Giannis-level talent don’t win a chip though.

The Bucks without a Giannis-level talent don’t win a chip though.
I agree that the Bucks without Giannis or Giannis level talent would not win a championship. People were very doubtful of the Bucks ever winning due to their team weaknesses that were exploited in the playoffs.

Jazz are built different from the Bucks. We have a much deeper team and different strengths. We have one of the most elite defenders in the NBA and we have one of the greatest playoff offensive players of all time.

People are allowed to dislike players

I dislike Mitchell's style of play. I'd get he is talented, but I'd rather have someone else on the team of comparable talent who plays a style of basketball I find more appealing (and by historical precedent has a higher chance at winning rings). I think he is lame and corny.

And yes, I think he is very good at basketball. When he plays the very best version of his style it can be fun to watch. Overall I just don't enjoy watching it compared to other forms of more team oriented passing offense.

I agree that the Bucks without Giannis or Giannis level talent would not win a championship. People were very doubtful of the Bucks ever winning due to their team weaknesses that were exploited in the playoffs.

Jazz are built different from the Bucks. We have a much deeper team and different strengths. We have one of the most elite defenders in the NBA and we have one of the greatest playoff offensive players of all time.
Jazz aren't deeper. Bucks are better without Giannis than Jazz are without Gobert

I think thats the point. There is still time to correct this. That's the frustrating thing. How will our line up and rotation look come playoff time?

Are we going to address our issues now, or after another embarrassing first round exit.

I dislike Mitchell's style of play. I'd get he is talented, but I'd rather have someone else on the team of comparable talent who plays a style of basketball I find more appealing (and by historical precedent has a higher chance at winning rings). I think he is lame and corny.

And yes, I think he is very good at basketball. When he plays the very best version of his style it can be fun to watch. Overall I just don't enjoy watching it compared to other forms of more team oriented passing offense.
Don annoys me with some of what he does, but I also know he's one of the best playoff performers the NBA has ever seen through 4 years of a career. Contenders surround their stars with defenders. We haven't.

I feel the exact same way about Rudy that you feel about Don. Rudy wants to be considered this strong dominant force then he flops and yells at the refs constantly. Rudy expects it all to run through him on offense because he prides himself on working hard (which he does), but then he provides zero offensive capabilities other than screen, catch high and dunk. He's a chip on the shoulder guy who I feel gets pretty soft. We can't rely on him in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz, as currently constructed, do not have the capability to defend in a playoff settings. They don't have a switch for perimeter defense. It doesn't exist.

It is less about the record and to be fair, Jazz are experimenting some and the expectation to go into the season that we wouldn't be the first seed. Jazz lost the worst offensive team in the league failing at the things they need to improve. It has been a constant theme.

Jazz could go through motions on offense and jack up shots, I don't really care. They have proven they are a great offensive team. Conley makes the right decision, Mitchell can take over, Clarkson can get us out of a slump, Bogey has been clutch or whatever. The talent and the switch is there. They need to be fully focused on defense, though. They need to build the habits.

Got it... I want all-stars but they better play the way I like or eff em! Also none of that bubble gum ****... better be cool AF.

If you dislike Donovan's style I am not sure Jaylen Brown will be much more aesthetically pleasing to you.

The glaring weaknesses still remain and haven't changed. If We remain this way the weaknesses will continue to result in failure

Don annoys me with some of what he does, but I also know he's one of the best playoff performers the NBA has ever seen through 4 years of a career. Contenders surround their stars with defenders. We haven't.

I feel the exact same way about Rudy that you feel about Don. Rudy wants to be considered this strong dominant force then he flops and yells at the refs constantly. Rudy expects it all to run through him on offense because he prides himself on working hard (which he does), but then he provides zero offensive capabilities other than screen, catch high and dunk. He's a chip on the shoulder guy who I feel gets pretty soft. We can't rely on him in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
This has to be the dumbest **** I have ever read

Got it... I want all-stars but they better play the way I like or eff em! Also none of that bubble gum ****... better be cool AF.

If you dislike Donovan's style I am not sure Jaylen Brown will be much more aesthetically pleasing to you.
I would and do.

And no, I dont think Jaylen Brown would single handedly change the Jazz culture. The change in culture is getting rid of the small guards who chuck and dont play D or pass at a high level.

Last edited:
I would and do.

And no, I dont think Jaylen Brown would single handedly change the Jazz culture. The change in culture is getting rid of the small guards who chuck and dont play D or pass at a high level.
Brown plays defense but if you think high-level passing is something you'd be getting in that trade I have terrible news for you. Brown has more turnovers than assists and is a terrible creator for others.

Brown plays defense but if you think high-level passing is something you'd be getting in that trade I have terrible news for you. Brown has more turnovers than assists and is a terrible creator for others.
Again, did I say Brown would provide those things? Please stop strawmanning an argument that Im not even trying to make.

THe improvement in team passing comes from getting rid of the two biggest chuckers on the team. It doesnt matter who we add, the passing will naturally improve.

Just get over the fact I dont like hero-ball or players who completely dog it on defense. 90% of Jazzfanz and jazz fans hated hero ball (like, extreme vitriol towards it) prior to Mitchell.

Again, did I say Brown would provide those things? Please stop strawmanning an argument that Im not even trying to make.

THe improvement in team passing comes from getting rid of the two biggest chuckers on the team. It doesnt matter who we add, the passing will naturally improve.

Just get over the fact I dont like hero-ball or players who completely dog it on defense. 90% of Jazzfanz and jazz fans hated hero ball (like, extreme vitriol towards it) prior to Mitchell.
Oh my bad… I thought by getting rid of one chucker with some passing ability and replacing them with another chucker with less passing ability our passing would get worse… clearly it would get better and I totally straw manned you. Naturally because Brown is cooler than Donovan our passing would improve… I mean his shoe game strong!!!