What's new

Excited for the Defensive end?

Al really isn't small for the C position in the NBA. There is a myth that most C's are 7'0 and it just isn't true. I believe the average height for NBA C's is right around 6'10, noting that that number is skewed by the number of 7'0 guys who are in the league mostly because they are 7'0, but because they have exceptional basketball talents.

Not quite.
If the average height is 6'10, then there should be quite a few centers 6-9 or shorter. who are they? Lets look at only the starting centers if the talent issue bothers you.

6'10 is at the shorter end of the height range for centers(even if you take only the starters). If you take atleast the premier teams,
Shaq- 7'1 Perkins -6'11
Bynum - 7'2, Gasol-7'
Yao -7'6
Dwight -6'11
Oden - 7'2
Haywood -7'0
Bosh - 6'11
Hilario - 6'11
Noah - 7'0
Bogut - 7'0

No one on the above list is 6'10. And they are'nt pogo sticks either. They possess a good physique as well, atleast most of them.
There maybe one or two good teams at best(like Thunder) that have centers who are 6'10 or shorter

Both Millsap and Al are definitely undersized at their positions, maybe Millsap more so.

Some of those heights are certifiably exaggerated. Bynum, Oden, Perkins, and Nene. I get the feeling if you compare Nene and Perkins to Jefferson in terms of height, length, and weight they're comparable and I'd even expect that Jefferson might be bigger than either. But "official" NBA measurements are not where to check. DraftExpress.com should have accurate listings for comparison.

I'll do some comparison when I have the resources.

What Al brings is more length with his long arms and a few more inches taller. He has also shown good quickness in man to man matchups. No data on this, but I think Al has a better vert than booz. Add the extra mass he has over boozer and it is a defensive upgrade with just the measurements.

Now you have his low post position style that wears on a defender. The defenders will have to push him out of the post on every possession or hussle around a pick so he doesnt get deep in the post. Al also has a very good first step that sets up much of his offensive bag of tricks. So you work the defenses legs and they either play less defense or dont hussle on offense.

Now we also have 2 7footers that we can use when the need arises. Fes for the really big guys who like to body in close (yao, hibbert, howard), and elson looks to be a quicker who can guard the drive/short jumper types of centers (gasol, Dirk,aldridge) . You even have Evens who showed some pretty good defense on bigs that should have completely destroyed him. Give him spot time on someone like bosh or murry (Pacers outside shooter, cant remember the name right now). Now Jefferson will get most of the time against teams starters, but if you get in a foul situation or Al is getting own, you have options.

Some of those heights are certifiably exaggerated. Bynum, Oden, Perkins, and Nene. I get the feeling if you compare Nene and Perkins to Jefferson in terms of height, length, and weight they're comparable and I'd even expect that Jefferson might be bigger than either. But "official" NBA measurements are not where to check. I'll do some comparison when I have the resources.
Here are some pre-draft measurements of notable NBA bigs:
Al Jefferson
Height (w/out shoes): 6-8 1/2
Height (w/shoes): 6-9 3/4
Wingspan: 7-2 1/4
Standing Reach: 9-2

Carlos Boozer
Height (w/out shoes): 6-7 3/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-9
Standing Reach: 9-0 1/2

Paul Millsap
Height (w/out shoes): 6-6 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-7 1/2
Wingspan: 7-1 1/2
Standing Reach: 8-9 ½

Dejuan Blair
Height (w/out shoes): 6-5 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-6 1/2
Wingspan: 7-2
Standing Reach: 8-10 1/2

Kevin Love
Height (w/shoes): 6-9 1/2
Wingspan: 6-11 1/4
Standing Reach: 8-10

David Lee
Wingspan: 7-0

Elton Brand
Height (w/out shoes): 6-8 1/4
Wingspan: 7-5 1/2

Amare Stoudemire
Height (w/shoes): 6-10
Wingspan: 7-1 3/4

Chris Bosh
Height (w/out shoes): 6-10 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-11 1/2
Wingspan: 7-3 1/2
Standing Reach: 9-1

Andrew Bogut
Height (w/out shoes): 6-11
Height (w/shoes): 7-0 1/4
Wingspan: 7-3
Standing Reach: 9-2 1/2

Greg Oden
Height (w/shoes): 7-0
Wingspan: 7-4 1/4
Standing Reach: 9-4

Joakim Noah
Height (w/out shoes): 6-10.5
Wingspan: 7-1 1/4

Brook Lopez
Height (w/out shoes): 6-11 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 7-0 1/2
Standing Reach: 9-5

Al Horford
Height (w/out shoes): 6-8 3/4
Wingspan: 7-0 3/4
Standing Reach: 8-11

Blake Griffin
Standing Reach: 8-9

Jarron Collins
Height (w/out shoes): 6-9 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-10 1/2
Standing Reach: 8-8

Every year we say "We are going to concentrate on D". Its nothing new, we will still be a sub par defensive team.

Based on what? I mean, I guess this statement would ring true if we had not lost any of the players we did but we did lose some players. But guess what...

Here are some pre-draft measurements of notable NBA bigs:
Al Jefferson

Carlos Boozer

Paul Millsap
Height (w/out shoes): 6-6 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-7 1/2
Wingspan: 7-1 1/2
Standing Reach: 8-9 ½

Dejuan Blair
Height (w/out shoes): 6-5 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-6 1/2
Wingspan: 7-2

Kevin Love
Standing Reach: 8-10

David Lee
Wingspan: 7-0

Elton Brand
Height (w/out shoes): 6-8 1/4

Amare Stoudemire
Wingspan: 7-1 3/4

Chris Bosh
Height (w/out shoes): 6-10 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-11 1/2
Wingspan: 7-3 1/2
Standing Reach: 9-1

Andrew Bogut
Height (w/shoes): 7-0 1/4
Standing Reach: 9-2 1/2

Greg Oden
Wingspan: 7-4 1/4
Standing Reach: 9-4

Joakim Noah
Height (w/out shoes): 6-10.5
Wingspan: 7-1 1/4

Brook Lopez
Height (w/out shoes): 6-11 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 7-0 1/2
Standing Reach: 9-5

Al Horford
Height (w/out shoes): 6-8 3/4
Wingspan: 7-0 3/4
Standing Reach: 8-11

Blake Griffin
Standing Reach: 8-9

Jarron Collins
Height (w/out shoes): 6-9 1/4
Height (w/shoes): 6-10 1/2
Standing Reach: 8-8

Thanks
The above list kind of confirms that Jefferson is a bit undersized at C even if he grew taller by half an inch or more since then.Also, some of the guys listed above are PFs not centers. Jefferson is clearly on the shorter end of the height range for centers. Come on, these days even quite a few PFs are 6-10 or taller (Garnett, Nowitzki,Gasol,Lamarcus,Odom and so on) and you are telling me 6'10 is good enough height for a center?

Thanks
The above list kind of confirms that Jefferson is a bit undersized at C even if he grew taller by half an inch or more since then.Also, some of the guys listed above are PFs not centers. Jefferson is clearly on the shorter end of the height range for centers. Come on, these days even quite a few PFs are 6-10 or taller (Garnett, Nowitzki,Gasol,Lamarcus,Odom and so on) and you are telling me 6'10 is good enough height for a center?

Jefferson's standing reach is higher than everyone on that list except Oden and Bogut (who, despite bein over 7,'with shoes, only has a 1/2" on him). Likewise, his "wingspan" is wider than most of them. The distance from the top of your head to the floor is not the only relevant measurment when considering the "size" of interior players in the NBA. Jumping ability must be considered, for example. "Big men" are not required to play with their feet glued to the floor. Even looking at height alone, he is taller than many of them.

But, either way, size alone is hardly determinative of effectiveness. Jarron Collins' "standing reach" is 6" less than Jefferson's, but his wingspan is 3/4" longer, and his raw height is 3/4" more. So?

Jefferson's standing reach is higher than everyone on that list except Oden and Bogut (who, despite bein over 7,'with shoes, only has a 1/2" on him). Likewise, his "wingspan" is wider than most of them. The distance from the top of your head to the floor is not the only relevant measurment when considering the "size" of interior players in the NBA. Jumping ability must be considered, for example. "Big men" are not required to play with their feet glued to the floor. Even looking at height alone, he is taller than many of them.

A lot of those guys on the list are PFs not centers. Bogut, Oden and Lopez are centers and they are easily bigger than Jefferson. And it is not just about height or standing reach. Its about strength as well and Jefferson is not markedly stronger than any of them to compensate for lack of height.

But, either way, size alone is hardly determinative of effectiveness. Jarron Collins' "standing reach" is 6" less than Jefferson's, but his wingspan is 3/4" longer, and his raw height is 3/4" more. So?

Jarron Collins should'nt even be on any list. I am comparing Jefferson with good starting centers of other teams, not scrubs from other teams. Starting centers who have size as well as the skills.

Jefferson is more suited to be a PF, he is undersized at C clearly. And especially against the Lakers, it will be a problem in the playoffs