What's new

Expectations vs Reality This year?

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Before the trade deadline hits and we likely have some changes to the roster lets see what you thought and what has happened. So what did you expect from the team vs what you are seeing? How about the individual players?

I expected the team to be around .500. We have some talent but the roster wasn't balanced and we don't have a lot besides Lauri and picks. I was hopeful we could have some break out performances and/or the team would gel and play together well and fight hard. We started much worse than I expected and we had a run much better than I expected but the balance of the two is right where I thought we would be. I guess I am slightly disappointed that we didn't reach my hopes above my expectations.

Players:

Lauri: I thought he would expand his playmaking a bit more this year but more or less he is what I thought which is amazing and a top 20 player.

Kessler: Sophomore slump has been rough. He is a little worse this year and kind of disappointing but I still think a big impact player and likely a keeper on the team but I dont know how much his role will grow.

Sexton: I have a hard time with him mostly due to his on court personality, which annoys me but also for plenty of other reasons from his play. But he has been far better than I expected this year. Not as good as some people make on here which I think is for the opposite reason as my first statement. Either way he is way above what I expected and probably the biggest jump up.

Clarkson: Easily one of the best off the court people on the team. But on the court he is who he is. He drives me crazy most of the time but has stretches where I can only watch in awe. He started way way way way worse than I expected but has bounced back to his usual. Although he is having another slump but if he stays he will do what he always does. I guess overall slightly worse than I expected.

Fontecchio: I have been pretty high on him all along and this is the play I hoped for. But he is better than I expected. Particularly his defense is much better than I expected. He has become one of our best defenders all around. I almost wish we could bench him the rest of the year so we could sign him to a long contract for cheap.

Collins: Pretty much what I expected. He is a very solid player all around. He isnt worth his contract but I didnt think he would be but we have salary to waste and he is a valuable piece short term and long. I always thought he could be a good trade piece in the future for a really good player but if not he would hold his own and be fine.

THT: Worse than I expected and when he started playing better got a mysterious benching. Not a lot to say about a guy who isnt playing and is gone soon. His mentoring of Keyonte and his positive attitude on the bench is unexpected I guess.

Agbaji: His defense has been really great but his shooting has been disappointing so far this year. I guess it evens out my expectations for him as a solid 3 and D guy.

Dunn: Exactly what I expected. Solid and reliable but nothing great on offense. He is a good 3rd PG type guy maybe even backup PG in the right situation whos forced to start on the team with arguably the worst PG situation in the NBA.

KO: I guess pretty much what I expected.

Rookies: I had no expectations for them so I guess no comment on where they are.

I expected to see some improvement wit Kessler and Ochai in the offensive side, but it's actually worse.

I expected us to struggle a lot unless we start Kris Dunn, and decide to force two scoring guards together all the time,as happened. I was expecting Dunn to start, which eventually happened. I am disappointed I don't see more offense, but it's partly planned he uses most his energy in the defensive side, where he has been even better I thought.

I was expecting Simone be a good piece after he gets acclimated to NBA, as he is now.

I expected Sexton to be quite good, as he is.

I expected rookies getting more minutes,which was hopeful, considering we have to upkeep the value of these veterans to sell some of them.

I expected Lauri to start a bit slow scoring wise bc of the weird summer, which he did, but now he has been going stronger inside again as expected

Quite predictable season overall, but how it went from game 1 to this, is not predictable.

As a team I felt like we were gonna improve to being a 45 win team (so +10 to Vegas line), but I was also sort of holding my breath on the consolidation trade that would upgrade our starting guards.

We can still reach 45 with a very home-heavy stretch but its much more of a stretch bet rn. Switching lead guards midseason comes with an adjustment period so any minor upgrade/consolidation might just be +-0 or even a straight up negative.

For players, I was pretty close on Lauri (same efficiency, improved passing) but I expected him to get a higher volume on offense where he could push his points and assists further.

I missed the mark worst on Kessler, who I thought would take some (any) step on offense which hasnt really happened. I also expected larger role/minutes than what he has gotten thus far.

No surprise or me this year. Lauri still very solid. The best surprise is Sexton. But Lauri is a number 2 and we still don't have our mumber one. As long as we remain like this , hopefully not long, we will remain a 35-40 win team. I hope DA make something big soon or at this summer.

No surprise or me this year. Lauri still very solid. The best surprise is Sexton. But Lauri is a number 2 and we still don't have our mumber one. As long as we remain like this , hopefully not long, we will remain a 35-40 win team. I hope DA make something big soon or at this summer.
Ehm.... 9th of November:
We look like a 25-28 wins team. This should put us quite low.....

We're about where I expected record wise. I really hoped we'd find ways to get Lauri the ball more. Especially in the last few minutes of the game.
I'm really not sure if Sexton is going to work. He just reverts to his true self and Hardy may never accept this for how he wants to run the team.( And well he shouldn't) I love Sexton's energy, but he sure seems to irritate Hardy and I see a conflict coming.
Kessler I agree with what's been said above. Great defense but was hoping for more on offense.
Agbaji has been my biggest disappointment, he looks defeated out there and teams pretty much just ignore him on offense.
Simone I'm impressed with.
Rooks I like Key and think TH will come along slowly. I'd like to see him get more minutes.
Ready for a Clarkson trade. He's too ball dominant for this teams development.
Everybody else is pretty much as I expected.

Before the trade deadline hits and we likely have some changes to the roster lets see what you thought and what has happened. So what did you expect from the team vs what you are seeing? How about the individual players?

I expected the team to be around .500. We have some talent but the roster wasn't balanced and we don't have a lot besides Lauri and picks. I was hopeful we could have some break out performances and/or the team would gel and play together well and fight hard. We started much worse than I expected and we had a run much better than I expected but the balance of the two is right where I thought we would be. I guess I am slightly disappointed that we didn't reach my hopes above my expectations.

Players:

Lauri: I thought he would expand his playmaking a bit more this year but more or less he is what I thought which is amazing and a top 20 player.

Kessler: Sophomore slump has been rough. He is a little worse this year and kind of disappointing but I still think a big impact player and likely a keeper on the team but I dont know how much his role will grow.

Sexton: I have a hard time with him mostly due to his on court personality, which annoys me but also for plenty of other reasons from his play. But he has been far better than I expected this year. Not as good as some people make on here which I think is for the opposite reason as my first statement. Either way he is way above what I expected and probably the biggest jump up.

Clarkson: Easily one of the best off the court people on the team. But on the court he is who he is. He drives me crazy most of the time but has stretches where I can only watch in awe. He started way way way way worse than I expected but has bounced back to his usual. Although he is having another slump but if he stays he will do what he always does. I guess overall slightly worse than I expected.

Fontecchio: I have been pretty high on him all along and this is the play I hoped for. But he is better than I expected. Particularly his defense is much better than I expected. He has become one of our best defenders all around. I almost wish we could bench him the rest of the year so we could sign him to a long contract for cheap.

Collins: Pretty much what I expected. He is a very solid player all around. He isnt worth his contract but I didnt think he would be but we have salary to waste and he is a valuable piece short term and long. I always thought he could be a good trade piece in the future for a really good player but if not he would hold his own and be fine.

THT: Worse than I expected and when he started playing better got a mysterious benching. Not a lot to say about a guy who isnt playing and is gone soon. His mentoring of Keyonte and his positive attitude on the bench is unexpected I guess.

Agbaji: His defense has been really great but his shooting has been disappointing so far this year. I guess it evens out my expectations for him as a solid 3 and D guy.

Dunn: Exactly what I expected. Solid and reliable but nothing great on offense. He is a good 3rd PG type guy maybe even backup PG in the right situation whos forced to start on the team with arguably the worst PG situation in the NBA.

KO: I guess pretty much what I expected.

Rookies: I had no expectations for them so I guess no comment on where they are.
Could you say more about what bothers you about Sextons' "on court personality"?

Ehm.... 9th of November:
So what's your point. Coming from a guy telling us few weeks ago that Barett was improving a lot his shooting ( 42/33)...

Yes I confirm Jazz will be at best at 35 win, considering how our schedule is , may end under 30.I can be right or wrong of course same you are on many occasions.
All of those predictions depends also on others teams. Who could predict than Memphis will have some many injuries, that GSW will struggle. Don't spend too much time showing off by pointing out when others say something who may be wrong, First it's not smart, second i' sure you have much better to do with your life. Thanks

So what's your point. Coming from a guy telling us few weeks ago that Barett was improving a lot his shooting ( 42/33)...

Yes I confirm Jazz will be at best at 35 win, considering how our schedule is , may end under 30.I can be right or wrong of course same you are on many occasions.
All of those predictions depends also on others teams. Who could predict than Memphis will have some many injuries, that GSW will struggle. Don't spend too much time showing off by pointing out when others say something who may be wrong, First it's not smart, second i' sure you have much better to do with your life. Thanks
If it was my defense i would point out that by 9th of november it wasn't before the season expectations, it was 2 wins, 7 losses start to the season expectations.

If it was my defense i would point out that by 9th of november it wasn't before the season expectations, it was 2 wins, 7 losses start to the season expectations.
Does not matter. We all have opinion who ended to be wrong. It's just a basketball forum. I appreciate to read all posts from people even if i disagree. But i never point out one poster when he change his position. As you say 9th nov is quite far. At that time i was for example totally convince that Minny will be a contender. After watching all of their last 30 games, i change my mind. They are a good team but not good enough to win a championship now. Just my opinion, And if i'm wrong , i will be totally thrillled for Mike and Rudy.

Being wrong is perfectly fine. Being dishonest or disloyal isnt.

You buried the Jazz and told you stop watching their games while praising Minny and almost recruiting others to watch them instead.... at a Jazz fan board.

Now you act like everything went as you expected.

I thought at the beginning of the year, the Jazz could push hard, win around 38 games and hand OKC a late lottery pick. Seems pretty on track.

If the Jazz trade Olynyk and Clarkson, theyll rack up more Ls.

Could you say more about what bothers you about Sextons' "on court personality"?
The overly aggressive hand clapping to get the ball. His silly looking crazy eye stares. His trash talking to the air. His not talking to the other guys on our team at breaks when he's in the game. It's not always bad but he does a bunch of little things that annoy me but probably more when he is playing selfish and out of control. I think Hardy does a good job of limiting him and taking him out when he isn't playing the right way. When things are going great for him it's pretty awesome plays though and he's helped us win a lot.

But I'm a fan I get emotional at times about it. Everyone on here gets irrational at times about players.

The overly aggressive hand clapping to get the ball. His silly looking crazy eye stares. His trash talking to the air. His not talking to the other guys on our team at breaks when he's in the game. It's not always bad but he does a bunch of little things that annoy me but probably more when he is playing selfish and out of control. I think Hardy does a good job of limiting him and taking him out when he isn't playing the right way. When things are going great for him it's pretty awesome plays though and he's helped us win a lot.

But I'm a fan I get emotional at times about it. Everyone on here gets irrational at times about players.
I guess I kind of like several of the things you mention. I feel like he brings some much needed energy to a team of introverts.

I guess I kind of like several of the things you mention. I feel like he brings some much needed energy to a team of introverts.
Nothing wrong with energy, intensity and hard work.

A lot wrong with hogging the ball, going 1-on-4 and not understanding when you have to cool it for a second.