What's new

Extend Lauri now

Keefe

Shouldn’t we? These contracts are getting bonkers (5/260 for Haliburton) and they’re only going to get worse as the cap is expected to jump a ton the next few years.

So shouldn’t we try it now rather than wait and have to pay 10-15% more for him?

If we do extend him now, what kind of offer do you think he’s looking for?

It's not a bad idea at all.
I only see Lauri getting better. He has a strong work ethic and attitude. What was so promising last year was how incredible he was, and I don't feel that he even really got his outside shot going. His inside attacking game was surprising.

He won't sign an extension now because we are limited to how much we can give him.

He will be extended next offseason (likely after a renegotiation). He will want as much money as he can get like basically everyone else ever. I’m also pretty sure he’s not even extension eligible currently.

I would guess Lauri's new deal is like 190/5 but it is due in future. Interesting season ahead with new rookies + Collins and who knows what deal is still coming.

He won't sign an extension now because we are limited to how much we can give him.
Yeah it would be based on his last year salary which is way too low. I don't even recall the new CBA rule but I think they could only give him between 120 - 140% at most of his last salary in an extension.

Sabonis got a renegotiation. Lauri's next deal should (and will) be bigger than this.

With the new CBA a contract can be extended two years ahead. The last day for this year is the 23rd October. But... it’s not happening. Neither the renegotiation. However guaranteeing the last year now would be a nice act of showing good intentions, even though meaningless.
Agree… the money can’t get close enough to what he needs so that is why I said it’s not possible. Renegotiate and extend next year is the best option with Lauri.

With the new CBA a contract can be extended two years ahead. The last day for this year is the 23rd October. But... its not happening. Neither the renegotiation. However guaranteeing the last year now would be a nice act of showing good intentions, even though meaningless.

It literally can’t happen because it has to be the 3rd year anniversary of the initial 4-year contract signing.

It literally can’t happen because it has to be the 3rd year anniversary of the initial 4-year contract signing.
This irrelevant because it does not happen but things have changed. From the new CBA, article VII. (his deadline for extension the 23rd October is also listed in Bobby Marks' Free agency guide)

(1) Subject to the rules set forth in Section 7(a)(2) below: (i) a Player Contract covering a term of three (3) or four (4) Seasons(including, for clarity, any Option Year) may be extended no sooner than the second anniversary of the signing (or, as applicable, theExtension) of the Contract;

Like said here many times it would not make any sense for Lauri to extend now with the 140% raise limit.

Last edited:
This irrelevant because it does not happen but things have changed. From the new CBA, article VII. (his deadline for extension the 23rd October is also listed in Bobby Marks' Free agency guide)

(1) Subject to the rules set forth in Section 7(a)(2) below: (i) a Player Contract covering a term of three (3) or four (4) Seasons(including, for clarity, any Option Year) may be extended no sooner than the second anniversary of the signing (or, as applicable, theExtension) of the Contract;

Like said here many times it would not make any sense for Lauri to extend now with the 140% raise limit.

I’m talking specifically about a renegotiation and extend. Not a regular extension.