What's new

Exum and his role in the second unit

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Tell me if I am totally off here, but I feel like Dante's taking a back seat even in the second unit and he's deferring too much to other guys, who are supposedly not nearly as talented as he is. If I were in the coaching staff I'd just give him the keys and see what happens. I'd tell him - "This is your team! I don't care if you have 5 TO per game. Take it as a learning experience. Test everything, see what works and what doesn't. Also drive to the basket, dammit!". I am getting really frustrated with our second unit losing 10 points leads or falling 15 down with him being passive while nobody on the floor can create anything in the offense.

He's looked like he's trying some more aggressive moves last couple of games like that off the dribble mid-range shot last night. I still think he needs a bit more time to gain more strength and practice that shot & the drive a bit more to be ready to unleash.

I want him to start to see how many assists he can get in 30 minutes of game with the starters. The only way to know this is to give him the chance.

He's looked like he's trying some more aggressive moves last couple of games like that off the dribble mid-range shot last night. I still think he needs a bit more time to gain more strength and practice that shot & the drive a bit more to be ready to unleash.

He only looked to be more aggressive in the last game. I don't know if it is a coincidence, or if coach Q is giving him the green light to look for the open lane. Still, he was too passive. I know there is value in letting a young player take it easy until the game slows down for him, but players who are afraid of making a mistake simply never develop into stars. Exum should be encouraged to attack the rim even if it leads to horrible possessions and bad shots. But then again, I'm sure the Jazz have plans for his development, and I don't think there is a rush. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, and I'm sure he'll become more aggressive as his strength, confidence, and game knowledge increase.

He only looked to be more aggressive in the last game. I don't know if it is a coincidence, or if coach Q is giving him the green light to look for the open lane. Still, he was too passive. I know there is value in letting a young player take it easy until the game slows down for him, but players who are afraid of making a mistake simply never develop into stars. Exum should be encouraged to attack the rim even if it leads to horrible possessions and bad shots. But then again, I'm sure the Jazz have plans for his development, and I don't think there is a rush. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, and I'm sure he'll become more aggressive as his strength, confidence, and game knowledge increase.

Yes, exactly my thoughts. If he's afraid to make a mistake and never does anything, the game will never slow down for him. The way it "slows down" is usually by you going through the same situation again and again and again and learning how defenders usually react to different things you do and how much you can get away with.

Hell, I'd like him to even post up smaller PGs. He should have abused Telfair yesterday! 195 pound 6'6'' with 6'10'' wingspan should have no problem posting up 165 pound 6'0'' third string PGs.

He is 19 years old, just skipped over at least a couple of levels of development. Basically, he is still a boy among men. Give him time.

There is a difference between being cautious and a wuss. So far this season I can't say that he isn't a wuss. He is the most passive player on the team and he should be one of the most aggressive.

Exum will take 3-4 years to develop, at least. I don't know why we are trying to rush it to 3-4 weeks. I hope he doesn't start this year. I'm OK with him starting next year, but would prefer Trey to figure things out and giving him another year on the bench. He still needs to physically grow into his body. He was playing basically high school basketball. Most high profile high school players in the states have better competition they play against in high school AAU ball than what Exum was playing in Australia. He's already showing some promise, but still has a lot to learn, and still has a lot more that he can learn coming from the bench in the NBA.

There is a difference between being cautious and a wuss. So far this season I can't say that he isn't a wuss. He is the most passive player on the team and he should be one of the most aggressive.

He is a kid among men, seriously. He's not only doing fine, he is doing better than we could have hoped for. Some people need to get a grip on the situation.

He is a kid among men, seriously. He's not only doing fine, he is doing better than we could have hoped for. Some people need to get a grip on the situation.

For what it's worth, Hayward in year 5 is still developing and he had two years of college under his belt (with the tail end of that being the highest level possible).

To a point yes. He has god given talent. He needs to be more then an instant passer and a medocre spot up 3 point shooter. All I'm asking for is a few aggressive plays. You either are aggressive or you aren't. Look at Burks, Hayward. Then look at Burke.
Look at Stock and Deron. When they were aggressive they we're at their best. Deron now is much more passive and looks very average. I just wan't to see that he at has the desire to "get some" cause he has the tools to do so.

To a point yes. He has god given talent. He needs to be more then an instant passer and a medocre spot up 3 point shooter. All I'm asking for is a few aggressive plays. You either are aggressive or you aren't. Look at Burks, Hayward. Then look at Burke.
Look at Stock and Deron. When they were aggressive they we're at their best. Deron now is much more passive and looks very average. I just wan't to see that he at has the desire to "get some" cause he has the tools to do so.

The aggression level needs to come. But if to attack you need tools in your warchest. He doesn't really have those right now. Specifically until he is strong enough and skilled enough to use his body around the hoop he will never hit his potential.

It seemed like at the end of the OKC game Dante was pissed off and playing with some fire. He looked like he wanted to take over but he held back and stayed within the system. The game was out of hand and it would have been nice to see him go Kobe on em.