What's new

Exum, Motum and Australia vs. Liethuania . Watch full game.

They would have won if Jingles could be bothered to play. . .

Or if Exum played.

Oh, he did?

Didn't look very good on either end in the 1st period, getting beaten on defense repeatedly by not fighting through screens or closing out on shooters. And he didn't do anything on offense other than pass the ball off immediately. I guess he got things going later as he finished 3-4. I didn't watch after the 1st as I was too bored and disgusted with Dante's timidity.

Motum had a very good game with some nice inside moves and some 3's. He has a real chance of making the roster.

Last edited:
Or if Exum played.

Oh, he did?

Didn't look very good on either end in the 1st period, getting beaten on defense repeatedly by not fighting through screens or closing out on shooters. And he didn't do anything on offense other than pass the ball off immediately. I guess he got things going later as he finished 3-4. I didn't watch after the 1st as I was too bored and disgusted with Dante's timidity.

Motum had a very good game with some nice inside moves and some 3's. He has a real chance of making the roster.
You're kind. He made 3 baskets. Doesn't really mean he "got things going". He did get to the line a couple times, however. Hope he does more in the upcoming games. I also wouldn't mind seeing more than 2 rebs from a 6'6 - 6'7" athletic guard.

You're kind. He made 3 baskets. Doesn't really mean he "got things going". He did get to the line a couple times, however. Hope he does more in the upcoming games. I also wouldn't mind seeing more than 2 rebs from a 6'6 - 6'7" athletic guard.

This is my knock on Exum. He doesn't have that killer instinct, that go-get-em attitude. He takes what comes to him and plays like he is afraid. If he found some balls and went after things he could turn this all around. I am afraid he never will.

Or if Exum played.

Oh, he did?

He didn't finish 3-4. He finished 3-6. (3-4 from 2 point range and 0-2 from 3)

At least that is how I read the box score that stitches posted

He didn't finish 3-4. He finished 3-6. (3-4 from 2 point range and 0-2 from 3)At least that is how I read the box score that stitches posted
Thanks for the correction.

I was much more harsh and then edited my post after seeing his stats (because I missed 3/4 of the game). Dante's demeanor bothers me. It just seems like he's sleepwalking most of the time. I know he was playing out of position, but on defense he just didn't have good instincts. He was ball watching instead of knowing where his man was many times. And there was no aggression fighting through screens. He just let himself get taken out of the play.

I know, I know...it's only one game. But the uptimism I had after watching his one summer league game has been negated by watching this one. He's back to his old self. Paging Neto, paging Neto!

Exum. All the raw talent in the world, and the balls of a mouse.
LOL.
Warning...graphic photo below of huge mouse balls. This might get me permabanned.

trackball.gif

Maybe we can hope that he is just playing this way cause he knows he in an NBA player and doesn't want to risk getting hurt before the NBA season starts... I hope anyway. Maybe?

Thanks for the correction.

I was much more harsh and then edited my post after seeing his stats (because I missed 3/4 of the game). Dante's demeanor bothers me. It just seems like he's sleepwalking most of the time. I know he was playing out of position, but on defense he just didn't have good instincts. He was ball watching instead of knowing where his man was many times. And there was no aggression fighting through screens. He just let himself get taken out of the play.

I know, I know...it's only one game. But the uptimism I had after watching his one summer league game has been negated by watching this one. He's back to his old self. Paging Neto, paging Neto!
I was watching the game on my phone and despite not knowing which guy he was at the very beginning and not seeing very well on the small screen and with my bad eyes, (due to his light skin it wasn't as easy as just looking for the black guy), I was able to pick him up immediately due to his bizarre posture, his gait that makes him appear exhausted at all times and his passiveness on the offensive end.

That long run on sentence is not an indictment on Dante so much as I mostly just found it funny.

Yay! Let's all be super critical of a game that doesn't matter!!!

I love the offseason.

Here's the thing...what he did in the summer league, against a player who's actually a good NBA defender, matters more than this stupid exhibition game.

Yay! Let's all be super critical of a game that doesn't matter!!!

I love the offseason.

Here's the thing...what he did in the summer league, against a player who's actually a good NBA defender, matters more than this stupid exhibition game.

That was a stupid exhibition game as well. We know about Exum's timidity from watching him play a full season of NBA basketball.

That was a stupid exhibition game as well. We know about Exum's timidity from watching him play a full season of NBA basketball.

Yes, we saw his tendency to be timid in his rookie year. Then we saw him be aggressive against an actual NBA player who's known for his defense. Then we see him be timid in a game against ****ty opponents. Now I'm an optimist, so I'm going to see his game where he played against an agressive defender as more valuable than the one against ****ty opponents. And I get that he was timid last year, but players do improve on occasion, especially after their rookie year. I'll wait for pre-season when he's playing for the team that actually pays him money before I get too concerned.

I don't know what the hell people are talking about here about his defense. He got stuck on 1 moving screen, which wasn't called after which his man scored and was pretty much the only one on the Australian team contesting any shots. On the rest, for the most part he fought through and recovered. He iced on one occasion and got blown past, but that is part of a defensive scheme in which the bigs should cut off penetration on the baseline... it wasn't his fault. Gibson kept getting stuck again and again and again and if you can blame Exum for anything it's that he didn't adjust to expect that to happen every single time and just automatically switch to his man, which resulted in a couple of open 3s.

It wasn't his best effort but it was solid I thought.

Offensively he didn't get the ball a lot, he had some nice drives and a layup attacking the rim once. Whenever he ran the pnr Lithuania hard-hedged and he completely destroyed that hedge for most of the game. He was giving pin point passes beating the hedge almost every single time to an open man in the paint. They just couldn't convert anything around the rim. I don't know how you can watch that game and come away with - he was horrible on both ends of the floor.

Last edited:
Stitches- these guys are banging on his defense, when he was a better NBA defender last year.

They are just hating. It's actually quite funny to read.

I think it's a bit of an overreaction to label a 19/20 year old timid after 1 season & a few exhibition games over the summer. There are very few people who wouldn't be somewhat hesitant when transitioning from competing against teenagers to professionals, not to mention doing so while simultaneously adjusting to a new country/culture. The fact that he was not only able to stick with the team for the entire year, but actually cracked the starting lineup (of a good team nonetheless) as a teenager is a feat in it of itself. I would be concerned if he hadn't displayed the necessary physical tools to stick in the league, but last year showed that he is more than ready physically (which is amazing considering his age), & the year before that (when he was playing against competition of the same age) he showed that aggression/attacking the rim is a major part of his game/playing style.

If anything, last year was extremely encouraging when you consider the fact that he was/is being asked to compete against grown men as a not yet fully developed 19/20 year old. I could understand being concerned had he not displayed a strong work ethic, but by all accounts, Exum is a very hard worker & a person of high character. It may take a couple more years for him to put it all together, but injuries are the only potential factor I see prohibiting him from becoming a pass 1st starting caliber PG with great to elite defense, court-vision, & (hopefully) slashing ability to go along with average to above average outside shooting (which would likely be a top 5 PG in the league). Once he catches up physically to the rest of the league, I expect to see that aggression return (if not increase) & (again) become an important aspect of his game.

Last edited: