What's new

Exum needs to play over Mack

TheGobertReport

No logical reason Exum can't be the first PG Quin gets off the bench. If he sucks then Quin can play Mack next time Hill needs a blow in the game. Otherwise, ride Exum. Mack is a cold fish.

No logical reason Exum can't be the first PG Quin gets off the bench. If he sucks then Quin can play Mack next time Hill needs a blow in the game. Otherwise, ride Exum. Mack is a cold fish.

No logical reason? The statistics say that we're better with Mack. What logic are you using? The future/development angle? That's not a bad reason, but please don't act like there's no reason Ex isn't out there. Thanks.

I just wish Mack would do less on the court. If you are open, shoot it, but stop all this dribbling around while going nowhere. It rarely ends well for anyone. Like tonight, he got an ISO on Towns and Towns was giving him the 3pt shot. Just take it, instead he dribbles out the clock and kicks it to a completely covered Ingles with 3 seconds left. That is the stuff that really bothers me about Mack.

I just want to see a lineup of Hill/Exum/Hood/Hayward/Gobert

Exum has a better PER, BPM, VORP, WS, scores more off less shots, rebounds better, turns the ball over less, Better TS%, and a bunch of other stuff.

Shelvin does have a better Net off/def rating, passing better and statistically seemingly playing better defense. But I think Exum is a better passer and defender (I dont like defensive stats unless its for the team) and time will show that.

Its easy to justify that Exum is currently a better player with a much bigger upside. But there are reasons to play Mack beyond increasing his trade value but it seems short sighted, especially since neither is going to be that big of a factor in us winning or losing right now.

Exum has a better PER, BPM, VORP, WS, scores more off less shots, rebounds better, turns the ball over less, Better TS%, and a bunch of other stuff.

Shelvin does have a better Net off/def rating, passing better and statistically seemingly playing better defense. But I think Exum is a better passer and defender (I dont like defensive stats unless its for the team) and time will show that.

Its easy to justify that Exum is currently a better player with a much bigger upside. But there are reasons to play Mack beyond increasing his trade value but it seems short sighted, especially since neither is going to be that big of a factor in us winning or losing right now.

It's incredibly short sighted. If Quin pulled off a mask scooby doo style and ty corbin was under there I would not be surprised at all.

I did hear Locke defending it using the we need toughness and Mack gives us that as the argument. I get that he's a veteran but I don't see toughness. He's no Earl Watson.

I get that this season is not about development anymore but... let's say both guys are roughly equal. Dante just sat out 2 of 3 years. The guy needs to play. He needs to make mistakes and when he is 100% physically by the end of the season he will be a much better more versatile player than Mack. If not we can always go back to Mack. We can't waste another year of this guy because Mack gives us "toughness".

As long as the Jazz keep winning and avoid a bad stretch, Exum is screwed. Really doesn't matter how Mack plays. Jazz win, Quin keeps Exum on the bench. Simple as that.

Mack sucks. He is really not any bit better then Exum. At least Dante plays solid defense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We can't waste another year of this guy because Mack gives us "toughness".

I sarcastically laughed at that one ...you sit better length ,speed,and talent down for "toughness">>>>phoney a$$ BS,I'll take the talent

I just hope Dante isn't losing his TRUST in Snyder

As long as the Jazz keep winning and avoid a bad stretch, Exum is screwed. Really doesn't matter how Mack plays. Jazz win, Quin keeps Exum on the bench. Simple as that.

I don't think Exum is screwed .With his speed and length at PG,add some more muscle and he's going to be a stud BB player for someone and be paid for it ,hopefully for the Jazz and not another team where he explodes out big time

I don't think Exum is screwed .With his speed and length at PG,add some more muscle and he's going to be a stud BB player for someone and be paid for it ,hopefully for the Jazz and not another team where he explodes out big time

screwed for the very near future - meaning perhaps the next couple months or so. I have to think ultimately Quin is still one of his biggest fans, he's invested a ton in Exum and will ultimately continue to give him opportunities.

If Quin is trying to teach him a lesson of some sort, here's a little piece of advice - when you tell the whole world Mack is playing because of defense when even a blind man can see just how much better Exum is on that end of the court, it's generally a good idea to have this piece of the puzzle right. Otherwise the lesson you are teaching is not "you will play when you get better at D", the lesson is "no matter what you do, I like this expiring Mack guy better than you, what you gonna do about it?"

I cannot stress just how dumb it is to play Mack ahead of Exum right now. He has missed 2 of the last 3 years of playing, isn't markedly worse than Mack overall, is better on the stated reason he's benched, and we have a limited time to evaluate him before we have to make a decision on him and instead we are playing expiring Shelvin ****ing Mack. WTF is going on?

jazz are significantly better on both offense and defense when Exum is off the court. perhaps Quin is seeing something we're not.

On off numbers on this small of a sample size are EXTREMELY unreliable. I don't think anyone can sit and watch Mack get blown by 6'10 guy off the dribble(yes, this happened today) and think "yah, sure... he plays better D than Exum"...

On off numbers on this small of a sample size are EXTREMELY unreliable. I don't think anyone can sit and watch Mack get blown by 6'10 guy off the dribble(yes, this happened today) and think "yah, sure... he plays better D than Exum"...
I dont disagree. The larger point is, perhaps Snyder sees something we dont. He's not dumb.

I find it hard to criticize Quin's rotations when the team is winning, but yes, Exum needs to be out there. He's the ****ing #5 pick in what was supposed to be a super loaded draft.

The explaination seemingly being given cannot possibly be the truth of the matter. If he's thinking either Dante was getting too big for his boots and needing an attitude adjustment fine (unlikely given what has been said about him) or just needs to sit for a few games to get a little perspective / prodded into action a little i'm cool with. I really really hope that the numbers on / off thing isn't what Quin is telling him, i'm hoping it's either showcasing Mack for a trade or just having a little exert his authority moment. If he's genuinely telling him that the team is better with Mack that is an awful risk to take. Lyles, Withey, Jingles, Diaw even JJ have all sucked *** quite a bit so far this season, it would beggar belief if he's truly being singled out. The clock is ticking on finding out what he really is / can be.

The clock is ticking on finding out what he really is / can be.

If Exum sees and feels he's going to be really good in the NBA and run his OWN team Snyder better not burn Exum's trust in him regarding his future.It's tooooo damn hard to get a real star in Utah !