What's new

Exum + Shooting Coach = Win?

magic

I read an article a while back that said that Exum had a number of people look at his shot. They all said it was fine and that it was simply a matter of him getting more reps in. However 10 games into the season, he is just shooting 28.6% from the 3 point line. The thing is, save maybe a couple of shots under time pressure, these have all been wide open shots. So unless they got him a shooting coach sometime between when that article was made until now, I would the Jazz to get him a shooting coach that emphasizes the shooting mechanics in this video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iJcmm3FSQ

The main points it touches on are:

1. Rhythm
2. Speed
3. Arc & power
4. Body Alignment
5. Balance

Particularly I would like to see improvement in areas 3 & 4. The best shooters have that sweep and sway motion. As the video states, "When shooting the ball, their feet sweep forward and their shoulders naturally sway. This give their shot great arc and alleviates neck and shoulder tension." #4, body alignment, comes as a natural consequence of this motion. "They align their shooting shoulder and hip to the basket."

I was looking for these things in videos of Dante and those are the traits I think his shooting form lacks the most.

Here is a video of his preseason highlights which have ample examples of his shot:
[url[/MEDIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3BnoJ476k8[/url]

As you can verify, his shot does not have the sweep & sway motion and this will particularly get him in trouble in pull up jump shot situations. For example, around 4:08 he takes a pull up shot and makes it, but you can see his mechanics crumble. Even if he had kept the mechanics of his current shooting form, that would have been a very difficult shot. But if he had the sweep and sway motion, he would not only have an easier time getting the shot off due to a higher arc, but he probably also gets the foul call due to his legs naturally sweeping forward.

It's not only the three players featured in the video that shoot like this. Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Kevin Love and many of the other elite shooters today also shoot like this. You can YouTube them if you want, as videos of those players exist as well.

So, since Exum is still young and still developing his shot, I think he should change it now before he forms any permanent habits. And I think if he adopts these shooting mechanics, it will be much easier for him to develop a pull up jump shot, which he currently does not have.

Reactions: ema
I think this post is kinda over-analyzing things but it definitely has interesting points and deserves at least a response.

I too think that Exum doesn't have very good shooting mechanics but I really don't believe it's that broken either. I think at this point, it is more of an adapting to the game issue with Exum. Besides, there are many effective shooters with horrible shooting mechanics, the most important thing imo is finding the most comfortable and effective shooting style for himself. Even though I believe there is an ideal shooting form for the average player, I also believe that sometimes it might not be the best route to go after that perfect shooting form.

But of course a shooting coach, specialized or not, could be helpful to Exum nevertheless. Especially, it would be much better earlier in his career than later, like you said. For instance, I just read that Minnesota hired someone for Rubio but it's way too late in my opinion.

When I was in Jr. High, I was living in SoCal and our coach was friends with the shooting coach for UCLA. He came to analyze our shooting form. He took one look at my shot and said, "you've got a lot of work to do son". He left a 60 page book about shooting that UCLA used and I've been fascinated at players shooting form ever since.

I've actually been surprised that Dante has shot as well as he has. I've been impressed with his foot work on and his body alignment. He needs more arch and I think as he gets stronger, he will get more arch. I would be interested to find out who on the staff is in charge of coaching him on his shot.

The Jazz have a small army of development coaches now. I'm sure they have emphasis on shooting...

Just 28.6%? I thought he'd be in the mid to high teens at this point so the fact that a non-shooting shooting guard who's a 19 year old rookie who hasn't played competitively in a year is that close to 30% is impressive. Kid looks much smoother and more comfortable imo.

Rudy's half court shot looked rather awkward the other night. Any chance that can be fixed? If not, he's going to have to be benched at the end of those games where we are down 3 and have to go the length of the court with under 3 seconds left.

I read an article a while back that said that Exum had a number of people look at his shot. They all said it was fine and that it was simply a matter of him getting more reps in. However 10 games into the season, he is just shooting 28.6% from the 3 point line. The thing is, save maybe a couple of shots under time pressure, these have all been wide open shots. So unless they got him a shooting coach sometime between when that article was made until now, I would the Jazz to get him a shooting coach that emphasizes the shooting mechanics in this video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iJcmm3FSQ

The main points it touches on are:

1. Rhythm
2. Speed
3. Arc & power
4. Body Alignment
5. Balance

Particularly I would like to see improvement in areas 3 & 4. The best shooters have that sweep and sway motion. As the video states, "When shooting the ball, their feet sweep forward and their shoulders naturally sway. This give their shot great arc and alleviates neck and shoulder tension." #4, body alignment, comes as a natural consequence of this motion. "They align their shooting shoulder and hip to the basket."

I was looking for these things in videos of Dante and those are the traits I think his shooting form lacks the most.

Here is a video of his preseason highlights which have ample examples of his shot:
[url[/MEDIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3BnoJ476k8[/url]

As you can verify, his shot does not have the sweep & sway motion and this will particularly get him in trouble in pull up jump shot situations. For example, around 4:08 he takes a pull up shot and makes it, but you can see his mechanics crumble. Even if he had kept the mechanics of his current shooting form, that would have been a very difficult shot. But if he had the sweep and sway motion, he would not only have an easier time getting the shot off due to a higher arc, but he probably also gets the foul call due to his legs naturally sweeping forward.

It's not only the three players featured in the video that shoot like this. Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Kevin Love and many of the other elite shooters today also shoot like this. You can YouTube them if you want, as videos of those players exist as well.

So, since Exum is still young and still developing his shot, I think he should change it now before he forms any permanent habits. And I think if he adopts these shooting mechanics, it will be much easier for him to develop a pull up jump shot, which he currently does not have.

Excellent video ... did the guy do the follow-ups he promised, and who was it that made this video?

I think rhythm could be replaced or augmented with fluidity. Lack of fluidity is one reason why Dwight Howard is a bad free throw shooter and Exum lacks in this area, too. Shot is very choppy and I don't like where Exum's elbow is at on release. Leads into shoulders being rigid, as mentioned, and thus the break down of the shot. I think he needs to change his shot. Hard to ask a pro to do, but I think it would benefit him.

I'm not concerned about Exum's shooting prowess. I'd much rather he focused on gaining physical strength/endurance as well as improve his left to where it's not such a glaring weakness. If he can't do either of those, it won't matter how good of a shooter he is.

I have zero doubt that Dante is getting a lot of high-level help with his shot. Q himself is very experienced in this facet of coaching.

I think they're currently taking a lot of the unnecessary movements out of his shot. They want him set and squared up to the basket, legs balanced. There are other ways of overhauling a shot, and some would argue that they are better than what we're seeing with Dante, but those are just arguments.

He'll be fine.

I've seen this guy's videos before. He has absolutely terrible taste in stock photo, stock video, and music.

Geez. Everyone needs to simmer down. He's only 12 years old, for chrissakes! His shot will improve as his short-and-curlies start to appear. Give the kid some time... I think he's already looking much, much better than the train wreck he looked like this summer.

I have zero doubt that Dante is getting a lot of high-level help with his shot. Q himself is very experienced in this facet of coaching.

I think they're currently taking a lot of the unnecessary movements out of his shot. They want him set and squared up to the basket, legs balanced. There are other ways of overhauling a shot, and some would argue that they are better than what we're seeing with Dante, but those are just arguments.

He'll be fine.
Good post

I think they're currently taking a lot of the unnecessary movements out of his shot. They want him set and squared up to the basket, legs balanced.
I had a coach who said never to work on more than 2 things at once when trying to improve specific skill sets. Different sport, but the concept is the same. I agree with you on what they're likely trying to fix with Trey as a first step. He absolutely must be on balance and squared up to the basket. You can work on other mechanics all you want, but if those two aren't present, having a great shooting stroke isn't going to matter that much.

Overall, for an inexperienced 19 year old kid, Exum's shooting form doesn't look bad. I'm sure there are some minor tweaks he'll need to make, but it's not like he shoots the ball like Ronnie Brewer or anything. He'll be fine.