What's new

Family trip to Utah in November

JimLes

So after noticing my excitement about our team throughout the preseason and after having to hear all about Donovan Mitchell and his once-and-future-kingness, my wife has decided that it's high time I attended a Jazz game. Since anyone who's ever listened to a Springsteen song knows driving is for men and flying for *******, we'll be driving down. Likely stopping for the night in Helena or Butte, but if I'm feeling like it, maybe just driving straight.

We will likely be catching 2 out of the 3 games between the 10th and the 13th of November. My wife wants to see some national parks further south and I want to see where the Duke was meting out his tough brand of justice to Injuns and other outlaws so by Tuesday of that week, we'll likely head somewhere south.

Any advice from those of you who are local? Should I drive to the Arena? Is there parking? Are your museums any good? Are there liquor stores in SLC? Do they sell Manischewitz? Is staying in Moab a good idea if we want to see some of the parks around there? We don't ski so what other fun stuff is there to do in November around SLC? Which motel chains are murder/hooker ones?

And of course, any of you wanna meet up at any of the games?

Stop at [MENTION=3073]JustTheTip[/MENTION] 's house and have him film you ****ting your Canadian pants while shooting the tiniest gun he owns.

Stop at [MENTION=3073]JustTheTip[/MENTION] 's house and have him film you ****ting your Canadian pants while shooting the tiniest gun he owns.

I grew up during a brutal war in a post-communist country. I was firing automatic weapons(with drunk uncle supervision) to ring in the New Year by the time I was 10.

Hey Jim, there's a great restaurant in Butte called the Uptown Cafe. If you have the time, go there, spend the night, it's a cool town. Helena is a ****hole. Are you going through Dillon after that? I could give you some stops on the way if you give me your itinerary. Have a great time!

Also, if you'd like, I could probably give you some farm fresh potatoes (just dug a week ago). Not sure if you can take those over the border or not. Idk the rules.

So after noticing my excitement about our team throughout the preseason and after having to hear all about Donovan Mitchell and his once-and-future-kingness, my wife has decided that it's high time I attended a Jazz game. Since anyone who's ever listened to a Springsteen song knows driving is for men and flying for *******, we'll be driving down. Likely stopping for the night in Helena or Butte, but if I'm feeling like it, maybe just driving straight.

We will likely be catching 2 out of the 3 games between the 10th and the 13th of November. My wife wants to see some national parks further south and I want to see where the Duke was meting out his tough brand of justice to Injuns and other outlaws so by Tuesday of that week, we'll likely head somewhere south.

Any advice from those of you who are local? Should I drive to the Arena? Is there parking? Are your museums any good? Are there liquor stores in SLC? Do they sell Manischewitz? Is staying in Moab a good idea if we want to see some of the parks around there? We don't ski so what other fun stuff is there to do in November around SLC? Which motel chains are murder/hooker ones?

And of course, any of you wanna meet up at any of the games?

I would be happy to meet up and grab a drink with you and others. I am sure my wife would come along.

Sounds like you understand the liquor laws a bit. The liquor stores are okay and will have decent options in SLC. The one downtown is crowded but its usually fine unless you go Saturday night or even Friday night. I have no idea on manischewitz. Is that a wine? I dont really know my wines at all. They all taste about the same to me. There is some great local distillers and beer brewers as well as one decent hard cider place.

You can drive to the arena. Parking and traffic can get a little hectic but not that bad. There are places to park everywhere near by but they will charge about $10.

Moab is a far drive but worth it if you have the time.

There are a bunch of Museums in SLC. The only one I really like it the Natural History Museum. The rest are okay. There are LDS museums and the LDS temple grounds stuff. I think if you are from out of town and remotely interested in Mormon history you should check it out, its kind of interesting but you will be talked to by Mormon Missionaries, I dont mind but some people do.

I am sure there are a bunch of other things to do in SLC in November. It really depends on what you want to do.

I would be happy to meet up and grab a drink with you and others. I am sure my wife would come along.

Sounds like you understand the liquor laws a bit. The liquor stores are okay and will have decent options in SLC. The one downtown is crowded but its usually fine unless you go Saturday night or even Friday night. I have no idea on manischewitz. Is that a wine? I dont really know my wines at all. They all taste about the same to me. There is some great local distillers and beer brewers as well as one decent hard cider place.

You can drive to the arena. Parking and traffic can get a little hectic but not that bad. There are places to park everywhere near by but they will charge about $10.

Moab is a far drive but worth it if you have the time.

There are a bunch of Museums in SLC. The only one I really like it the Natural History Museum. The rest are okay. There are LDS museums and the LDS temple grounds stuff. I think if you are from out of town and remotely interested in Mormon history you should check it out, its kind of interesting but you will be talked to by Mormon Missionaries, I dont mind but some people do.

I am sure there are a bunch of other things to do in SLC in November. It really depends on what you want to do.

My favorite mormon history stop is the Brigham Young house. It is really cool, even from a non-mormon perspective.

Also, if you'd like, I could probably give you some farm fresh potatoes (just dug a week ago). Not sure if you can take those over the border or not. Idk the rules.

I know one thing I always look to do on vacation is stop off for a couple of potatoes.

Hey Jim, there's a great restaurant in Butte called the Uptown Cafe. If you have the time, go there, spend the night, it's a cool town. Helena is a ****hole. Are you going through Dillon after that? I could give you some stops on the way if you give me your itinerary. Have a great time!

Really? I just LOVED the cathedral in Helena. It's like someone teleported a building from Brussels into the middle on nowhere Montana. We've never been that far southwest in Montana to have visited Butte. I just looked up the Uptown Cafe and some Butte motels on Booking.com.

And I would love some potatoes, but unfortunately, that's the first thing they ask about at the border. Well, that and Kinder Eggs. Once, I had a Kinder Bueno bar, which is perfectly legal in the US, but the border guard then asked me if I had Kinder Eggs in the kind of way someone asks you if you have a kilo of cocaine in the trunk by any chance.

Really? I just LOVED the cathedral in Helena. It's like someone teleported a building from Brussels into the middle on nowhere Montana. We've never been that far southwest in Montana to have visited Butte. I just looked up the Uptown Cafe and some Butte motels on Booking.com.

And I would love some potatoes, but unfortunately, that's the first thing they ask about at the border. Well, that and Kinder Eggs. Once, I had a Kinder Bueno bar, which is perfectly legal in the US, but the border guard then asked me if I had Kinder Eggs in the kind of way someone asks you if you have a kilo of cocaine in the trunk by any chance.

If you liked Helena, you'll love Butte.

It's not very European, but it is a cool historical place. Just don't drink the water.

Haha. I was at my local temple last night to use their Family History Centre to find my friend's Ukrainian great-grandfather's birth record and some very young missionaries chatted me up. I told them I was going to Utah in a month and I chatted to them about Church history and state history and they could scarcely believe I wasn't LDS. When they ask me how I knew so much I just casually said jazzfanz.com and they were very confused as they had never heard of this particular Church website. Not one of the four was a Utahn, fwiw.

Not the first time this had happened. I remember once walking from school to my frat house across a temple parking lot and missionaries wanting to talk to me and me asking them to explain to me the Adam-God doctrine and whether they believed Joseph Smith or Brigham Young came up with it. They got very flustered and offered to give me a bishop's contact info.

In SLC

[video=youtube_share;t44OmAoLre4]https://youtu.be/t44OmAoLre4

Well there's a few things that are a little odd anyway

Be sure and eat at The Philadelphian.

Don't listen to JTT. Butte is just a little hick town built around an open pit mine. Nothing special. These Montana boys just have a local rivalry where they argue over who's piece of dirt is the best. Helena probably just kicked Butte's *** in football while hantlers was in high school, and he's never gotten over it.