What's new

Favorite Cut of Meat

The Thriller

What’s your favorite cut of meat? I was at Costco today and saw some pretty awesome ribeyes. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of those. I did a flank steak fajita a few weeks ago and it was awesome. I’ve gotta do some tri tip again sometime soon. Has anyone had a chance to do picanha (Brazilian cut)? You can usually find them at a WinCo or Latin market.

What’s your favorite cut of meat? I was at Costco today and saw some pretty awesome ribeyes. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of those. I did a flank steak fajita a few weeks ago and it was awesome. I’ve gotta do some tri tip again sometime soon. Has anyone had a chance to do picanha (Brazilian cut)? You can usually find them at a WinCo or Latin market.
I've had picanha at a Brazilian guys house and it was really good. I personally like NY strip the most. I think Ribeye can be better, but not consistently. NY Strip is almost always a get what you pay for type of cut. Ribeye varies so much. Sometimes there is such a huge wad of fat along that top rim, and sometimes the meat has thick fat deposits in it. Not marbling, just wads of fat. If I could count of ribeye being good it would be my favorite, but since I know what I'm gonna get with a NY strip, that is my favorite.

Sirloin is damn good, too. Cheap and awesome compared to the other cuts. I've also been doing flat iron steak for my family lately. I cook a whole piece and then thinly slice for individual servings. It's been really good.

I love a good Prime Tomahawk Ribeye with proper marbling. That is my go-to at The Palm, which I frequent. I should be getting my caricature on their wall next year. At home a Prime New York or Prime Porterhouse is my go to.

I love good BBQ too. Nothing like some good burnt ends.

Last edited:
Like @Sardines said if I can get a perfect Ribeye I'll choose that, but I'm a NY strip guy myself.

To add to the conversation do y'all like gristle? I can't stand it but I know people that love it.

Probably a Ribeye but its too much to eat on a daily basis, eat scotch more often.

Prime Rib if its cooked right, but usually Ribeye is the easiest go to. I like Filet Mignon now and then but are a bit lean although very tender. I porterhouse is nice if I want a bit of both cuts, but usually have to share it.

I guess my most eaten these days is kind of a Filet diced up and eaten raw with spice called Kitfo. Although the meat isnt usually that tender where I live.

To cook at home my go-to is tri-tip. I've got that one down. I do dry-aging at home so I've got some really nice 35-day dry-aged NY strip in the freezer right now, along with some 45-day rib-eye. Probably going to pull a few out for the weekend coming up. Sous vide to 128, seared in my cast iron pan in tons of butter and garlic.

In a restaurant my go-to is rib-eye. Not a fan of filet mignon as is just tender but boring and not much flavor. Other cuts tend to be just meh in a restaurant. I've put a lot of time and effort into perfecting beef cooking at home to where it's hard to find a restaurant steak I'm satisfied with. But rib-eye tends to be the best out there.

Another I really like if I can find it is a Denver steak. Not many steak-houses carry it and you have to seek out a butcher who can cut it properly, but it's just about the best cut on the cow imho.

I'll pick up a picanha now and then. But for the price, which tends to be inflated any more since it's becoming more popular, I'd just as soon have that tri-tip.

To cook at home my go-to is tri-tip. I've got that one down. I do dry-aging at home so I've got some really nice 35-day dry-aged NY strip in the freezer right now, along with some 45-day rib-eye. Probably going to pull a few out for the weekend coming up. Sous vide to 128, seared in my cast iron pan in tons of butter and garlic.

In a restaurant my go-to is rib-eye. Not a fan of filet mignon as is just tender but boring and not much flavor. Other cuts tend to be just meh in a restaurant. I've put a lot of time and effort into perfecting beef cooking at home to where it's hard to find a restaurant steak I'm satisfied with. But rib-eye tends to be the best out there.

Another I really like if I can find it is a Denver steak. Not many steak-houses carry it and you have to seek out a butcher who can cut it properly, but it's just about the best cut on the cow imho.

I'll pick up a picanha now and then. But for the price, which tends to be inflated any more since it's becoming more popular, I'd just as soon have that tri-tip.
What, no 55 day ribeye ??

What, no 55 day ribeye ??
Psh, go much beyond 45 days without precise humidity control and it's basically beef jerky. Even 45 days I have to have a water source in the fridge to properly age it. Better wet-aged past that point but it's seriously diminishing returns. For me the sweet spot is 28 days, tbpfhwy. The 45 day one was an experiment and it turned out pretty good, but not appreciably better than 35 days.

Who are you Marco Pierre White? Dry aging meat at home, its a scandal i tell ya!

Ewww. What a disgusting slimy rapey pig

According to media watch the rapey little pig is about to cop a 10.5 million dollar bill in costs from the trial. I'm sure the little cnut will just declare bankrupt but it should screw him for most of the rest of his life.

Speaking of pig, I love me a roast pork belly

I like rib eye best. The wife likes filet mignon

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Who are you Marco Pierre White? Dry aging meat at home, its a scandal i tell ya!
No, White can't hold a candle to my meat. At least, not with signing the NDA first and respecting my safe word.

Kumquat. The safe word is kumquat.

No, White can't hold a candle to my meat. At least, not with signing the NDA first and respecting my safe word.

Kumquat. The safe word is kumquat.

Oh that's disgusting....

I know its an old one and Easter was a few weeks ago but

Why did Jesus die on the cross?

He forgot the safe word.

I'd love to know where i first heard that.

According to media watch the rapey little pig is about to cop a 10.5 million dollar bill in costs from the trial. I'm sure the little cnut will just declare bankrupt but it should screw him for most of the rest of his life.

Speaking of pig, I love me a roast pork belly

mmm pork belly ...

yeah he'll weasel his way out of it .. pity LIsa Wilkinson couldn't keep her big mouth shut

Grilling some filet mignon in a few minutes actually

Grilling some filet mignon in a few minutes actually

Bacon wrapped filet mignon