What's new

Favorite Cut of Meat

Ya I aint gonna wait
I only wait because it can take a bit to get everything together, by then it has usually been sitting for a few minutes anyway. There is some further research out there that shows that a 5 minute rest can increase tenderness by allowing the protein fibers to relax, as under heat they seize up, but the difference is very minor and for most steaks it reaches peak tenderness as you just get plates ready and sit down to eat and say "enjoy" or "bon Appetit" or whatever before you dig in. About the only meats that benefit from an extended rest are really large cuts, like pork shoulder for pulled pork or turkey or prime rib. It lets the heat equalize throughout and a larger piece of meat takes a bit for the protein to relax from the heat. In fact with pulled pork the pros usually cambro the meat for as much as an hour to several hours, and it can make a big difference in overall texture and flavor, but in that case it is more about letting the collagen you just spent 12 hours melting on the smoker permeate the entire chunk of meat. I like to use a faux cambro with pulled pork and keep the meat hot and sitting in there for a few hours before crisping up the bark on the grill then prepping the pork. It can make a big difference.