What's new

Favorite lineup to close games.

gregbroncs

So this morning on the radio they were talking about the finishing lineup. As of right now, who would you want on the floor in the last couple of minutes in a close game? And why did you choose those players.

Here is mine.

PG George Hill--While I'm a believer in Dante Exum I have not yet seen enough to want him closing a close game.
SG Rodney Hood--He's better than Burks period, I may want to occasionally see Hayward here and Johnson at SF depending on opponent.
SF Gordon Hayward--He and Favors are our best players they both need to be on the floor.
PF Trey Lyles--I think his shooting and play making ability bring something to this team that is helpful in close games. His defense troubles me though.
C Derrick Favors--As said one of our 2 best players.
Close but not in finishing lineup.
Rudy Gobert--He needs to prove he can hit a FT, and contribute offensively. It's difficult to win a game playing 4 on 5 on offense.
Alec Burks--Not a big fan of his game, I think Hood is better.
Dante Exum--Have not seen enough, His defense is interesting, but as with Gobert need to see more on offense to play key minutes in a close game.
Joe Johnson--I may actually prefer him to Lyles, Not sure how well he can do at PF though. Probably the guy I'd be most likely to put in at the close of games instead of Lyles or Hood.
Just interested in how other people feel about the end of game lineups. It's interesting that we have far more options this year than last, hopefully that makes a big difference.

That second line-up is just four guys.

I think mine would be:

Hill
Hood
Hayward
Joe Johnson
Gobert

Burks
Burks
Burks
Burks
And Burks

The last couple of minutes of a game to close out would be a simple line up

Hill - like the OP said dante is not ready for that. Dante and hill might be on the floor defensively if the jazz need a stop.

Hood - has shown to be a closer. Defensively would be the only reason he may not be on the floor because i think dante is a better defender.

Hayward - has shown he can hit the big shot but i dont want him running the team. To turn over prone but the jazz could have 4 players on the floor who can handle the ball.

JJ - with his size he is able to guard 4s in the nba and he is one of the better closers in the nba today. He is the best iso player on the jazz. Would love to see 4s try to guard him.

Favors - is the eraser on this squad. He can get rebounds and block shots and is great at following the playing and finishing misses. He on ok free throw shooter but he only touches the ball as a trailer on the play or a miss. If it is defense gobert can get the ball. If it is a 3 pointer lyles gets the call so all 5 people on the floor can hit a 3 what a nightmare.

Honorable mention

Diaw - because of his versatility and bball IQ.

Burks - his ability to make baskets and his iso ability

Ingles - ability to make the pass and can be a big shot maker

Cant believe I read this and agree with you and then you put in Ingles and ruin all you wrote.lol... Ingles a big shot maker.HAHA

The last couple of minutes of a game to close out would be a simple line up

Hill - like the OP said dante is not ready for that. Dante and hill might be on the floor defensively if the jazz need a stop.

Hood - has shown to be a closer. Defensively would be the only reason he may not be on the floor because i think dante is a better defender.

Hayward - has shown he can hit the big shot but i dont want him running the team. To turn over prone but the jazz could have 4 players on the floor who can handle the ball.

JJ - with his size he is able to guard 4s in the nba and he is one of the better closers in the nba today. He is the best iso player on the jazz. Would love to see 4s try to guard him.

Favors - is the eraser on this squad. He can get rebounds and block shots and is great at following the playing and finishing misses. He on ok free throw shooter but he only touches the ball as a trailer on the play or a miss. If it is defense gobert can get the ball. If it is a 3 pointer lyles gets the call so all 5 people on the floor can hit a 3 what a nightmare.

Honorable mention

Diaw - because of his versatility and bball IQ.

Burks - his ability to make baskets and his iso ability

Ingles - ability to make the pass and can be a big shot maker

Exum - I think he will be/is better defensively than Hill. Maybe it will take part of the season to get back into game shape but he is an elite defensive PG and defense is the reason we lost games at the end last season, not offense. Plus he is smart and will get the ball into the right players hands and get himself in the right spot. I expect Hill to be here the first quarter of the season but after that Exum is going to take that over.

Hood - Showed the ability to hit some shots and make plays at the end of the game.

Hayward - Duh, he is our best player all-around and by far our best closer.

Favors - Pretty good at end game situations can guard a few positions and get rebounds

Gobert - Needs to step up hitting free throws but again we lacked defense and rebounds at the end of games and that is by far the biggest reason we lost close games. He provides both of those.

Close behind:
Hill - Has been pretty clutch and all-around solid player. Hopefully he keeps that up here in Utah.
Burk - When healthy was one of the best offensive closers in the NBA last season. If he can improve his defense he should be in the game at the end above either Hood or the PG.
JJ- has been a career closer. Does he still have enough in the tank and enough desire to keep that up?

If the Jazz need to score on the last possession:
Hill
Hood
Burks
Hayward
Johnson

If the Jazz need to defend on the last possesion:
Hill
Exum
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

Hard to believe that most Jazz fans still don't realize how clutch Burks is. Statistically, he's the best on the team. Burks needs to be on the floor at the end of close games.
That huge sample size of his 30 games a year.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Is it bad that I still like our "Death Lineup" from last year for clutch situations?

Burks
Hood
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

HM:
Hill
JJ
Diaw
Ingles

Hill
Hood
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Honestly probably this. I think Burks is going to push those guys hard though

Is it bad that I still like our "Death Lineup" from last year for clutch situations?

Burks
Hood
Hayward
Favors
Gobert
I like it

Hill
Hood
Hayward
Johnson
Favors

- All 2 way players.
- All great shooters for their position.
- Has 4 of our most experienced players.
- All good FT shooters.

I agree with whoever said the starting lineup, except if you need a 3 or have to shoot FT's put JJ in for Gobert and slide Faves to the 5.