What's new

Favors and Hayward added to team USA

That's cool stuff. It will be a good experience for them and allow them to open a door or two. Hopefully it increases confidence as well.

I think they were supposed to both participate in Summer Leagues.

I guess it's a honor; but speaking strictly as a Jazz fan, would you rather have Favors/Hayward ride the pine for Team USA or get starter minutes and be the focal points of their offense in the Summer League.

I guess it's a honor; but speaking strictly as a Jazz fan, would you rather have Favors/Hayward ride the pine for Team USA or get starter minutes and be the focal points of their offense in the Summer League.

Ride pin with Team USA, they practice against stars, not scrubs.

They won't be riding the pine. They are on the select team. Basically the Olympic team will practice against the select team. Think of it like the Globetrotters vs The Washington Generals.

According to numerous outlets, including Michael C Lewis of Salt Lake Tribune and Matt Steinmitx of CSN Bay Area, Utah Jazz’s Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors have been selected to the play for USA Basketball select team.

The USA Select team is used primarily as practice players and opponents for the 2012 USA Basketball team. In the 2008 Olympics you may recall the Olympic team practiced and played against the members of the select team in Las Vegas. I am assuming this is a similar set up.

Hayward’s play changed after heading the all-star weekend to play in the rising stars game. Now he will be playing against the best the USA offers on the basketball floor. This experience will be invaluable to his development and fits his style far better than summer pick up ball.

Similarly, Favors gets to come out of his shell a little bit more each time he plays major competition. This may be bigger for Favors than for Hayward. With the injury to Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum not wanting to play in the Olympics he will really get to show how talented he is and give himself a chance to shine.

Hayward and Favors put themselves in very good position to represent the USA in future international competition.

The rest of roster is expected to be DeMarcus Cousins, Jeremy Lin, Klay Thompson, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, DeMar DeRozan, Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Kawhi Leonard, DeJuan Blair, Ryan Anderson and Taj Gibson.

Cousins, Favors, Anderson, Blair and Gibson are the only bigs which gives Favors a huge opportunity.

This is an enormous honor for the 22 year old Hayward and the 20 year old Favors. The Jazz growth in the upcoming season will largely be based on these two players making the big jumper 3rd year players usually make and this is going to be a terrific setting for them to foster this development.

USA Basketball Olympic training is expected to take place in Vegas during the same time as summer league, July 13-22. The Jazz will be participating in summer league in Orlando and are unlikely to participate in Vegas but the door may not be entirely shut.

Here's the article from Locke's blog

This is a good thing. I don't think it will keep them from Summer either. Favors has a great chance to be on Team USA in future. Really good American bigs are very few and far between. With Dwight Howard's injury history Favors time might come sooner than later.

I cant see how this is bad at all. Honestly they've never really been around real talent and leadership at the NBA level for any real amount of time. They will get to see first hand how hard the very best work to be that and will likely get some great coaching as well.

Again, how is this bad?

I cant see how this is bad at all. Honestly they've never really been around real talent and leadership at the NBA level for any real amount of time. They will get to see first hand how hard the very best work to be that and will likely get some great coaching as well.

Again, how is this bad?

Bodhi, I honestly have no clue. I was thrilled to hear this news, and I still am. Practicing against the likes of LeBron, Durant, Melo, Paul...........this is honestly amazing experience for our young guys. Think of how much they're going to learn, especially in terms of learning how to defend/score against the best of the best. God...and people would rather have them playing a few games against players from the D-League...

EDIT: This post is nauseatingly reminiscent of Carolinajazz. Someone kill me now.

Probably some of the select team will make the main roster as well. From what I've seen, there are a lot of shaky commitments(or lack thereof) for the main squad at this point, and of course some guys out with injuries.

Again, how is this bad?

The only negative is we won't be able to see them play a handful of meaningless games.

I'd like to give all the rep points I've collected, or ever will collect, to Steve Porter if at all possible.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS x 23837834

Long live the internet