What's new

Favors our defensive stopper?

Golfman

I caught this tidbit from Hollingers ESPN chat today.

"Dan (OC)

Any chance that the Jazz move Jefferson or Millsap for somebody that can, you know, defend guys over 6'8"? Or are they just hoping Favors can fill that role?

John Hollinger (2:36 PM)

That's the plan, yes, and I think there's a decent chance it works. Favors is potentially very, very good defensively, and allows Millsap to play his natural role as a 25-30 minute bench energizer.
"

This is exactly what I think needs to happen. Favors can step in defensively, and Millsap needs to go back to the bench. If Favors can turn into a monster defender, ALA Kevin Garnett, the Jazz will be in good shape. Does he have Kevin Garnett defensive potential?

Last edited:
I think he has monster potential as a defender. I also think he has a high upside on offense as well. Love the combination of size, agility, and athleticism.

Defensive monster I think Favors will be. Getting Milsap to go back to the bench is the big question. While he might be good at sf against some line ups, i beleive being sixth man of the year would really allow the jazz to be title contenders in the future.

Millsap would only start at PF for a handful of teams in the NBA. He's never going to be the go to guy for a team, at best he's a reliable 3rd scoring option or legitimate threat off the bench. Favors, on the other hand, has the potential to be the go to guy for a team, and a defensive force. That being said, Favors can't just have the starting job, he has to pry it from Millsap's cold dead fingers.

I think Milsap will do damn near anything the Jazz ask, there is no reason to think he wont. Everyone knows that every great team has at least one great bench players.

I hope the jazz start Milsap at sf to start the year and after about a quarter of the season they will see that he doesn't fit there, but Favors would have started all those games and proved his worth. This leaves Ty to send Milsap to the bench and become our sixth man.

I think right now is the best time to Shop Millsap or Jefferson. Favors is the future at PF and I think Millsap has already hit his ceiling. I like Jefferson's game but I think he gets tunnel vision when he has the ball a lot. Doesn't like passing the ball and getting others involved.

I think if Favors hits the gym and bulks up, he will be our starting center. He is as tall and is close to as athletic as Dwight Howard.

While we're talking about Defense and our big men, we do all remember that Al Jefferson graded out extremely well as a one-on-one defender this past season, right?
If I remember correctly he graded out in the Top 5 for his position.

Having Favors develop alongside him will only help Jefferson. As much as I love Sap, he's the defensive liability. That's why he needs to be coming off the bench (giving him a chance to see more minutes against the opponents 2nd tier players) or traded.

I think Milsap will do damn near anything the Jazz ask, there is no reason to think he wont. Everyone knows that every great team has at least one great bench players.

Is that based on his going back to the bench after boozer came back? Or something else?