What's new

FBI, NCAA and the Utah Jazz

Drug companies are even worse -- Big Pharma is the richest industry in the world and operates with the biggest profit margins, and the insurance companies are their primary collaborators. Many people don't realize that the U.S. is the only nation in the world that doesn't regulate drug prices, which is why the drug companies can extort people who need life-preserving medications.
But at least if I give drug companies money, I get drugs.
That's how it's supposed to work. I give you my money, you give me something in return.

With insurance I give you my money while possibly receiving nothing in return for years and years. Then if I want service to be rendered for what I have already been paying for either my prices go up, I get dropped, or they try to get out of paying. Oh and I have to pay a huge deductible. (What the hell was I getting for all money I paid each month for the last 20 years?)

Hell, when you actually need the insurance you are often reluctant to even use it because of rate hikes so you just try to pay out of pocket rather than file a claim if the damage isn't extremely expensive.

I mean you could hypothetically pay home owners insurance and auto for almost your entire life (say 20 years old until 70 years old) and never file a claim. That total amount paid would be an extremely high number. I'm not going to do the math but would it be over 100,000 dollars? Near that much? I have no idea but if you never file a claim then what did your money get you? Nothing at all.

Is there any other business that operates like that in the world?

First post, but been lurking for years. Anyway just had a close friend that has a son that is a pretty high profile player in northern Utah. He was telling me Saturday that his son went on a recruiting trip to Boise State. Adidas flew him from the campus to Vegas for a concert and didn't even tell his parents about it until the plane was in the air. I was thinking at the time, how is that not a violation? The kid is only 16 as well.

'Is Mitchell guilty?'

Guilty of what? Being paid at all for bringing immense value to a program that's part of a systematic apparatus of exploitation?

The NCAA is organized crime. Players don't even get stipends, yet upon their backs is a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

I hope Mitchell and/or his family got paid a lot of money.

So true, university deans and coaches and staffs being paid millions, universities (you know, places of learning) building gigantic stadiums on the back of the tons of money made exploiting mainly young black men from poor neighbourhoods who might, or might not for the immense majority of them, make big money later as well.

It is a sick perverted and distorted system. May as many deans and provosts and coaches as possible rot in jail for all I care.

They are getting degree for free in the process. Not exactly unfair.

No they don't, they get a "student who wasn't really a student but an athlete and probably wouldn't really be qualified for an actual job if he can't make it into sports and who might even be illiterate for all I care" free degree.. not exactly a sesame to employment and fruitful careers. A sham basically.

They are getting degree for free in the process. Not exactly unfair.

No they don't, they get a "student who wasn't really a student but an athlete and probably wouldn't really be qualified for an actual job if he can't make it into sports and who might even be illiterate for all I care" free degree.. not exactly a sesame to employment and fruitful careers. A sham basically.

But at least if I give drug companies money, I get drugs.
That's how it's supposed to work. I give you my money, you give me something in return.

With insurance I give you my money while possibly receiving nothing in return for years and years. Then if I want service to be rendered for what I have already been paying for either my prices go up, I get dropped, or they try to get out of paying. Oh and I have to pay a huge deductible. (What the hell was I getting for all money I paid each month for the last 20 years?)

Hell, when you actually need the insurance you are often reluctant to even use it because of rate hikes so you just try to pay out of pocket rather than file a claim if the damage isn't extremely expensive.

I mean you could hypothetically pay home owners insurance and auto for almost your entire life (say 20 years old until 70 years old) and never file a claim. That total amount paid would be an extremely high number. I'm not going to do the math but would it be over 100,000 dollars? Near that much? I have no idea but if you never file a claim then what did your money get you? Nothing at all.

Is there any other business that operates like that in the world?

This. I recently had some damage to my house and when I looked into filing a claim on my home owner's I found out my deductible was only around $100 less than all the repairs so I just said screw it.

First post, but been lurking for years. Anyway just had a close friend that has a son that is a pretty high profile player in northern Utah. He was telling me Saturday that his son went on a recruiting trip to Boise State. Adidas flew him from the campus to Vegas for a concert and didn't even tell his parents about it until the plane was in the air. I was thinking at the time, how is that not a violation? The kid is only 16 as well.

Wow.

...and welcome!

Great link, thank-you.

During the meeting, Dawkins laid out plans to funnel money to the family of a second player, who was scheduled to graduate from high school in 2019. "The mom is like, 'We need our [expletive] money,'" Dawkins said. "So we got to be able to fund the situation ... We're all working together to get this kid to [Louisville]. Obviously, in turn, the kid will come back to us."

So this seems to indicate that there is a considerable expectation on the part of players' families. Players would be considered victims of their families also, I gather.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...50/the-story-how-fbi-brought-words-corruption

Like I said, this isn't really about paying players.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Some families were being paid, though. Are the parents in any kind of legal bind for accepting money?

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketbal...-rick-pitino-coach-2-federal-complaint-source

"Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino, who has been placed on unpaid administrative leave amid a federal investigation into fraud and corruption, is the "Coach-2" who played a role in funneling money to a recruit, a source confirmed to ABC News on Thursday.

According to court records, Christian Dawkins, the former agent for ASM Sports who was charged in both parts of the college basketball case, told the cooperating witness, Marty Blazer, that he helped funnel $100,000 to the family of recruit Brian Bowen "at the request of a coach," identified as "Coach-2."

CBS first identified Pitino as "Coach-2" on Thursday."

Man the folks down here in Tucson are in some serious mourning. We pretty much think that this may be the last year of tournament basketball in the near future. That is assuming that the NCAA does not act immediately. Most are finally coming to the realization that there is no way Sean Miller escapes this. It wasn't a damn booster, it was the coaching staff. You can't tiptoe around that.

Will Louisville finally get the death penalty? Hookers, payments to athletes. The University seemed to turn a blind eye to what was going on. How the hell they let Pitino continue this long is beyond me. The real failure is that he had all these extra perks to give players and only managed one championship. He must be a lousy recruiter if sex and cash can't attract the best players.

I am not sure if paying players is the right thing or not but once it starts you either have to regulate as much if not more than you regulate everything else today or it is the end of college basketball as we know it. The more money that gets passed around the bigger divide between the haves and the have nots will become. It is already happening in College Football. The push to a BCS bowl has simply increased the speed of the separation between those that have a shot and those that never will. The direction of college sports is not sustainable.

I'm somewhere in between on the subject of college athletes being paid. On one hand besides the education (that admittedly most of the top level kids won't benefit from) I've always considered it a bit like an internship program but in sports instead of an actual job, lots of professions have it and most have massive college debt they have to pay at the end of it. Again not a perfect example but just thoughts in my head.

However this is a Billion dollar industry and there should be something that the NCAA and universities should be made to do to give back to the athletes, especially in the way of medical insurance.

Louisville is toast.
AZ will get hit hard.
Auburn.. wtf cares.

As for pay. I can't think of a decent argument why the kids shouldn't make some money.
As for the poster that implied their education is crap as an athlete... that's a bit unfair. A lot to most do the minimum .. but there is a ton of players (at every school) that take the free education very seriously and do end up being great in their respective field of studies.

Louisville is toast.
AZ will get hit hard.
Auburn.. wtf cares.

As for pay. I can't think of a decent argument why the kids shouldn't make some money.
As for the poster that implied their education is crap as an athlete... that's a bit unfair. A lot to most do the minimum .. but there is a ton of players (at every school) that take the free education very seriously and do end up being great in their respective field of studies.

This. I know quite a few who have pulled Great degrees. The big ticket sports pay the way for other sports programs too. My niece just graduated after a 4 year soccer scholarship. Has a degree in Applied Physics.

Something that I found to be pretty funny. In a interview smeone asked Charles Barkley, "why did you choose Auburn to go to college?". He said, "I chose Auburn because they gave me the most money".

Athletes/schools have been doing this for years, and really, I doubt that this investigation will stop the whole thing

Sent from my SM-N915V using JazzFanz mobile app

Louisville is toast.
AZ will get hit hard.
Auburn.. wtf cares.

Death penalty toast?

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Louisville is toast.
AZ will get hit hard.
Auburn.. wtf cares.

I know you weren't talking to me about the education part as I was trying to say what you were saying. The top level recruits wont likely use or take advantage of the education in the 1 or 2 years they're on scholarship, however besides those kids there are many kids that decide to take advantage of the free education, at different levels but use it all the same.