What's new

Game Thread Feb 01, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Raptors

Added to Calendar: 02-01-23

That's probably because when we play a three big lineup with Kessler under the rim, Lauri & co can be more aggressive contesting midrangers, knowing Walker is there and guys are not really looking to drive.
Yep. Kessler's impact is approaching Rudy level. When he is out, they just go straight at the rim time and time again. When he is in, they veer away and take more long 2's. That is a stat someone needs to figure out how to track, how often a drive and kick player just nopes the **** out of there when the big is in the lane, vs going right at the rim. I imagine Kessler, like Rudy, would be pretty high on that list.

Yep. Kessler's impact is approaching Rudy level. When he is out, they just go straight at the rim time and time again. When he is in, they veer away and take more long 2's. That is a stat someone needs to figure out how to track, how often a drive and kick player just nopes the **** out of there when the big is in the lane, vs going right at the rim. I imagine Kessler, like Rudy, would be pretty high on that list.
Walker isn't as good as Rudy on defense yet. He may never be. The thing that sticks out to me though is I think Walker ends up being a better offensive player because of the flashes of passing and his ability to finish around the rim. Has shown some half hook type stuff and is just generally much smoother on that end. Likely won't have as much roll gravity or be the lob finisher prime Rudy was but he's just so good and improving constantly.

Walker isn't as good as Rudy on defense yet. He may never be. The thing that sticks out to me though is I think Walker ends up being a better offensive player because of the flashes of passing and his ability to finish around the rim. Has shown some half hook type stuff and is just generally much smoother on that end. Likely won't have as much roll gravity or be the lob finisher prime Rudy was but he's just so good and improving constantly.
Agree with all of this, but I'm done saying what Kessler is or isn't capable of. He continues to defy my expectations and sometimes specifically goes out and shows something to be a strength that seemed to be a weakness just days before. Kessler doesn't have quite as much length as Gobert, so maybe he never gets to that level, but I'm not going to count him out.

Agree with all of this, but I'm done saying what Kessler is or isn't capable of. He continues to defy my expectations and sometimes specifically goes out and shows something to be a strength that seemed to be a weakness just days before. Kessler doesn't have quite as much length as Gobert, so maybe he never gets to that level, but I'm not going to count him out.
He seems very determined and often that is a deciding factor. We'll see and no matter what it will be fun to watch!

The NBA game is obviously slowing down for Kessler already. That speaks of a very high BBIQ.

It's so hard to anchor an NBA defense at that age. We've seen young bigs come into the league who were rim protecting monsters in college, but who ended up spending their rookie years overreacting to every upfake and flying out of position. Not Kessler. He has an uncanny ability to choose when to go for a block and when not. That's something you really can't teach, it's almost a sixth sense thing.

His next step is hitting his free throws. 53% from the stripe is totally unacceptable for an NBA player, I don't care what position you play. If we actually make the playoffs this season, I'm 100% sure we'll start seeing some Hack-A-Kessler. When it's either a monster dunk or one point from the FT line, the choice is easy, particularly in crunch time.

Last edited:
I might be imagining stuff but I think Walker has developed some Lauri-like skills as we saw with Walker's first one-hand-dunk. Also some post moves seem to me as if he has been taking a note or two from Lauri's playbook. Certainly stuff that weren't there a few months ago. I could go as far as suggesting that it seems to me that Lauri is turning into a bit of mentor figure for Walker.

I might be imagining stuff but I think Walker has developed some Lauri-like skills as we saw with Walker's first one-hand-dunk. Also some post moves seem to me as if he has been taking a note or two from Lauri's playbook. Certainly stuff that weren't there a few months ago. I could go as far as suggesting that it seems to me that Lauri is turning into a bit of mentor figure for Walker.
I hope so. A true Lauri and a true center who can emulate Lauri would be insanely dangerous.

Walker has already surpassed current gobert offensively, may have defensively as well. Not sure how anyone could see that differently. Gobert had zero post moves and his hand eye coordination is not the same level as Kessler. Only thing gobert has is another inch of height and few extra inches reach for shot alteration