What's new

Game Thread Feb 23, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Thunder

Added to Calendar: 02-23-23

Will be a interesting one. We got this one and we run for the PO, Play-In, we loose this one and we can go for full tanking. Key game for me, for both teams.

I dont think this game alone goes a long way in determining what happens... but its the whole 5 game stretch coming out of the ASB that can have us go north or south really fast. And that stretch starts here. Anything from 4-1 (2-0 vs SA, 2-1 vs OKC) to 1-4 (1-1 vs SA, 0-3 vs OKC) are possible imo, and if one of those extremes happen I think that goes a long way in determining what happens the rest of the way.

Earlier this year when I rooted for the playoffs I particularly wanted to see how Hardy's system holds in a series as well as seeing how some guys like Lauri (who has never played in PO) would perform. I dont think its that valid anymore without Conley, as Lauri doesnt have the passer and as JC (who has had the ball more since Conley departure) playstyle stagnating the offense is not necessarily gonna highlight Hardy's system in the best way possible.

Now I'm just hoping JC minutes go down (more THT, Sexton and Ochai), we get more self-creation and passing flashes from Lauri, some playmaking highlights from Sexton and add some offensive wrinkles and plays for Kessler. Ochai with the ball will also be interesting (shoot, pass, cut, drive, whatever). And I'm still holding hope THT progresses towards normal basketball. Ochai, Sexton and Lauri perimeter defense is also something to monitor more closely.

Ls are more likely to cut JC minutes and drive our focus on those development steps right now, and it pushes our draft pick up the board.. so give me 50-burger from SGA and a valiant losing effort.

From The Athletic
Now, the Jazz want him to develop into the next step, which is truly closing games in the deciding possessions.

“We definitely want to help Lauri grow into those moments, without turning it into Lauri’s lab,” Hardy said. “We want him to do it within the construct of the team and within his own game.”
It's the Jazz so the game's gonna be close either way. And sounds like it's gonna be "Let Lauri cook".

I dont think this game alone goes a long way in determining what happens... but its the whole 5 game stretch coming out of the ASB that can have us go north or south really fast. And that stretch starts here. Anything from 4-1 (2-0 vs SA, 2-1 vs OKC) to 1-4 (1-1 vs SA, 0-3 vs OKC) are possible imo, and if one of those extremes happen I think that goes a long way in determining what happens the rest of the way.

Earlier this year when I rooted for the playoffs I particularly wanted to see how Hardy's system holds in a series as well as seeing how some guys like Lauri (who has never played in PO) would perform. I dont think its that valid anymore without Conley, as Lauri doesnt have the passer and as JC (who has had the ball more since Conley departure) playstyle stagnating the offense is not necessarily gonna highlight Hardy's system in the best way possible.

Now I'm just hoping JC minutes go down (more THT, Sexton and Ochai), we get more self-creation and passing flashes from Lauri, some playmaking highlights from Sexton and add some offensive wrinkles and plays for Kessler. Ochai with the ball will also be interesting (shoot, pass, cut, drive, whatever). And I'm still holding hope THT progresses towards normal basketball. Ochai, Sexton and Lauri perimeter defense is also something to monitor more closely.

Ls are more likely to cut JC minutes and drive our focus on those development steps right now, and it pushes our draft pick up the board.. so give me 50-burger from SGA and a valiant losing effort.
I think the OKC games are the critical ones. We could go 2-3 with the losses all coming against OKC and its a huge success. Elevates OKC above us and gives them a boost to catch Minny. We struggled against SA once this season so maybe we lose one... but I think we have like a 75% at winning both of those. The 4 games left against OKC are critical... its a disaster if we go 3-1 in those.

Hardy showed THT the all-star game and people launching threes and was like "you want to be an all-star right... well ya gotta have the shot selection of these all-stars if so". We lose 10 straight and several fans die due to stray bricks... but it will be worth it.
Fooking A. This means Sexton is out until training camp.

So... we will have just three good volume shooters and Ochai... We might see a career high from Ochai if he gets hot from downtown. Lauri, JC and KO can not carry all the load in the offense. I wish Dunn can shoot few threes and make half of them.

Would be cool to see Frank or Dunn tonight.
My prediction is that Dunn plays so well the Jazz sign him for the rest of this season, where he plays well enough for the Grizz to sign him as their 3rd PG with an eye to possibly trading Tyus Jones for draft pick as a cost cutting move in his last year under contract.

This of course leads to a very popular all defensive duo in Memphis called Brooks & Dunn.

Yes I hate myself and I hate country music, it's hate squared I bring down upon myself.

My prediction is that Dunn plays so well the Jazz sign him for the rest of this season, where he plays well enough for the Grizz to sign him as their 3rd PG with an eye to possibly trading Tyus Jones for draft pick as a cost cutting move in his last year under contract.

This of course leads to a very popular all defensive duo in Memphis called Brooks & Dunn.

Yes I hate myself and I hate country music, it's hate squared I bring down upon myself.
I doubt Brooks is on the Grizzlies next season

This should be a good game. They have a lot of athletes but no center... Walker may dominate tonight or I could see these guys blitzing us a bit with our pg woes.

Thank goodness we have basketball to watch again.